Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Preparing for Surgery - what should I do?
Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 7 of 8, messages 61 to 70 of 72
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Monday, May 05, 2014 6:02 PM
Good luck Denise and we'll be thinking of you, send us an update when you can! xx
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Sadie Rose

• Total Posts : 579
  • Reward points : 10345
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Friday, March 27, 2015 9:26 PM
Hello Everyone,
I have a questions.  I am scheduled for a bilateral mastectomy in April. Two of my children want to come to help during my early recovery.  I am wondering what is the best time to have help come.  My husband will be home with me the first few days.  My youngest son is coming four days after my surgery for a few days.  My daughter wonders if she should come for the first few days or come when her brother is about to leave around day 10.  I wonder how long it is before you can drive?  By day 10 will I be independent or will I still need help.  I have to drive across a bridge into busy traffic to make my medical appointments.

Does anyone have feedback for me?  

Thank you!
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Friday, March 27, 2015 11:27 PM
Hi Sadie--

For me I needed help until the drains came out.  I wasn't able to lift my arms so I needed help bathing.  If you are not having reconstruction, it might be a little easier.  I waiting until the drains were out and I was no longer taking the pain meds and then I was able to drive.  The first time that I went to close the car door it was difficult.  Again, I had reconstruction where expanders were placed under the muscles.

By the end of the second week I was well enough to go back to work.

Everyone is different.

Hope this helps.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Sadie Rose

Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Saturday, March 28, 2015 11:24 AM
Thank you Scootersmom!  Was your mastectomy a year ago?  I've wondered about the healing process through the first year and the emotional ups and downs.  How are you doing now?
scootersmom

Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Saturday, March 28, 2015 4:16 PM
April 24th will be 4 years.  Emotional ups and downs are part of the course.  During the first year for me, it was constant doctor's appointments.  Once the one year mark came and the doctor's appointments were not as often, it settled down.  I joined a support group for about a year as I had gotten to the point that I just didn't feel like a survivor but wasn't sure what I should feel.  You end up finding a new normal.  I felt that since I didn't have chemo and I didn't have radiation, how could I call myself a survivor.  Then when I looked at my chest and still when I look at the scars, there was a battle that had happened and I walked away so yeah I am a survivor.  I am still dealing with reconstruction but I don't really miss the extra large breasts that I had nor the weight on my shoulders from carrying them.  

I know I was lucky when compared to most and I am thankful for that.  It just isn't something that you will walk out of surgery and say I am okay.  It takes awhile.  Give yourself plenty of time to accept the changes as they happen.  It will be tough but it is doable.  If you have support, it is they greatest help of all.  If possible, if you find a hard time dealing, find a support group in the area.  While family is great, it really does help to talk to someone who has been where you are heading.  There are things family members just don't understand.

Good luck and anytime you have more questions, go ahead and pm me.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS

Sadie Rose

Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Sunday, March 29, 2015 4:54 PM
Hi Scootersmom,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.  I have read a lot about the physical aspects of this surgery, but not as much about the emotional impact.

I have a million questions.  I hope I don't wear people out. ;)

Warmly,
Sadie

scootersmom

Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Sunday, March 29, 2015 8:36 PM
That is quite all right.  If you pm me, I will send you my phone number if you wish to talk.  I just saw you on facebook as well.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS

Sadie Rose

Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Sunday, March 29, 2015 11:18 PM
Hi Scootersmom,
i can't get the pm tab to work for me.  I will try to message you on FB.

catgirl095

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 1675
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Thursday, July 07, 2016 1:08 PM
I am scheduled for a bilateral mastectomy on July 18.  I have already been through 6 rounds of chemo for HER2 + breast cancer.  I have been reading through the threads and each is very helpful.  I was wondering how long before you are able to lift your arms?  I just would like to know how long before you are able to take care of yourself doing the easy things such as putting on makeup and a wig?  The doctors make it sound like you won't be able to do these things for at least a month.  I do not have anyone at home to take care of me and would like to be able to do these simple things.  Also, how long before they remove the drains?
<message edited by catgirl095 on Thursday, July 07, 2016 1:15 PM>
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Thursday, July 07, 2016 2:17 PM
Hi Catgirl,

Well done on getting through chemo and I wish you well with your upcoming surgery too. I think regarding the drains everyone is different as to how long it takes but think a week is the norm, at least it was when I had my lumpectomy. I hope someone can answer your other questions as  I didn't have a mast but know if you do the arm exercises they give you it will help you heal quicker and get back to normal sooner too.  I'm not sure if I mentioned to you but we have a closed group on Facebook which is far busier than here and you'd be sure of many more replies. If you're on FB please look for Komen breast cancer support group and ask to join and I'll add you asap. You can also look for me there and send me a friend request and I'll add you.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 7 of 8, messages 61 to 70 of 72

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages