Daily Diary of Joy

Change Page: << < ..151152153154155156157158159160.. > | Showing page 160 of 178, messages 3181 to 3200 of 3541
scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Monday, October 21, 2013 10:28 PM
Hi folks, checking in.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I am fighting a cold at the moment.  Spent over 6 hours in the cold yesterday selling cupcakes.  We were at the ACS Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event.  Took 46 dozen (yes dozen) cupcakes with us.  We didn't even come close to selling out.  I think if we would have had some coffee pots with us we would have made more.  When we got to the event (which happened to be in the forest preserve by the lake) it was about 40 degrees.  It actually warmed up to 50 by noon.  UGG! We got there at 6:30 am.  

Anyway our sells went well and we are finishing this week. We just hit the $2.000.00 mark.  Someone commented on Facebook they couldn't believe how clean the kitchen was when I snapped a picture of my mom and sister.  This was in the midst of making over 500 cupcakes Saturday alone.

Well I am off to bed.  The temps just dropped to 20 degrees so I'm going to jump under my covers.

Have a wonderful night.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

annette53160
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 8995
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:35 AM
Tina sounds like the cupcakes were a big success!  God bless you for having the patience to do that.

Tricia so excited that Una is going to visit!  Please post pictures of that little beauty!  She is getting so big. 

Pat glad you are up and running with your computer.

I have been busy running around to appointments with my 17 y/o daughter.  Got that late night call from the police no parent ever wants to get.  She was rushed to the hospital unresponsive with alcohol poisoning.  Needless to say she is grounded. Spent days on the phone making therapy appointments for her.  She now has individual and family therapy as well as a AA meetings weekly.  Also put on some medication yesterday by the psychiatrist.  I am glad she is alive and praying all this works.  Another week in my crazy life......I am holding up well as I usually do in a crisis.  Things are getting back to normal here......for now.
IDC October 2009
Lumpectomy x2 to get clear margins
Stage 2a Grade 3
1/11 nodes positive 
er+
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol
Radiation
Femara

ElaineQW
  • Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:40 AM
Annette -- So sorry to hear about your daughter.  Maybe this will be a wake-up call and she will get on track.  This must be very difficult for you and I think you did all the right things.  Stay positive! 

Hug
Elaine

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:48 PM
Annette I'm so sorry about your daughter and you've done all the right things to get her the care she needs, I'll be thinking of you and sorry you have this added stress.Pals

Lol Rena, my touch pad was like that too when I first got it and it was driving me nuts!

Tina, huge applause to you for all your hard work on the cupcakes during October and just sorry you were rewarded with a cold!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Rena
  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:30 PM
Annette, I'm very sorry about your troubles. You are being a great mom, insisting that she get the helps she needs. I wish you both well.

Tina, you amaze me! I can't imagine making five cupcakes, much less 500! Well done! Take care of that cold and get well soon.
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!

scootersmom
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:44 PM
Annette:

I am glad your daughter came through okay but sorry for the troubles.  Hopefully the doctors will help her get straight.  Don't you have a wedding coming up?  Maybe that will help get your mind off current events.

Good luck with that.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS

Pat Patterson
  • Total Posts : 3693
  • Reward points : 8085
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:35 AM
Annette - my thoughts and prayers are with you.  There is so much pressure on kids today, I often wonder how I would handle it all if I were in their shoes.  My grandson is 19, first year away at college and so far so good but I am always worrying.  My friend's daughter went away last year and by Christmas she was in the hospital, attempted suicide.  We never know what is in their minds and you are getting her the care she needs and that's what is important.   All the best to you both......
DX 5/13/08 Clearwater, FL HER2 +
IDC Stage IIIA changed 12/2/08 to IIB Grade 3
Taxotere, Carbo & Herceptin  6/11/08
Part Mas 11/5/08 SNB neg & addl node neg - CLEAN MARGINS!
Arimidex 11/25/08  35 Rads 12/15/08

Rena
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Friday, October 25, 2013 11:26 AM
I agree with Pat--the pressure on kids today seems so much worse than when we were young. Though I wouldn't mind being younger, I am grateful that I grew up in the 50s and 60s. When I got to college in 1967, I was in for a rude awakening. My roommate was a druggie (she actually overdosed one night), while I was still wearing pleated skirts with matching sweaters and wearing my hair in a flip. I didn't like the way the world was changing back then, but looking back, even the wild, crazy late 60s seem pretty innocent! 

I have wonderful news to report! Karen found a real job! No more temp work and substituting at Mother Goose Preschool. A woman who was a teacher at Mother Goose when Karen worked there full-time (before she left for Asia) has started her own preschool at a Catholic school in San Francisco, and she offered Karen a full-time teaching job--with benefits, paid vacation days, etc. The real deal! She'll be working with the pre-kindergarteners, her favorite age group. She's nervous because she hasn't had a real full-time job in a while, and she's sick as a dog right now (it seems everyone in Northern California has the same crummy virus!). She starts November 4, so she has a week to rest and get better. This has been a tough year for her--working on some hard personal issues and ending her two and half year relationship with Tyler--and she needs something really good in her life. So, when you have a spare moment, please keep her in your thoughts or send up a little prayer. My girl has had more than her share of pain in her young life, and it's time for her to have some happiness. Mom could use a little of that herself. 

Love to you all. I hope that any difficulties you're having will all work out well. I hope that any illnesses, aches and pains resolve soon. 2013 is almost over (and I won't miss it a bit!). It's not even Halloween yet, but I'm already gearing up for a better 2014. Tricia and I go through this period every year, don't we Tricia? Reassuring each other that the new year can only be better than the last one!!

xoxo
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

ElaineQW
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Friday, October 25, 2013 11:36 AM
Rena - I'm thrilled for Karen.  Please give her my best!

Hug
Elaine

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Tricia Keegan
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Friday, October 25, 2013 12:27 PM
We do indeed Rena and I truely think 2014 will be a better one for sure, best wishes to Karen on her new job, glad to say Sarah is sharing in her happiness and will start a new job herself in a couple of weeks, more responsability but also more reward and its closer to home. 

I hope both our daughters enjoy their new positions and even get to be as wise as their Mum's one of these days!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

Rena
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Friday, October 25, 2013 4:01 PM
Thanks, Elaine and Tricia. And best wishes to Sarah in her new job, too! I wasn't exactly on top of things when I was 28, so there's hope yet!!
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Pat Patterson
  • Total Posts : 3693
  • Reward points : 8085
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Saturday, October 26, 2013 5:59 AM
That is great news...congratulation to Karen and Sarah and I wish them all the best!  What a relief to know they are settled....Miles is talking about signing up for the Army  ROTC in college and then a 4 year commitment and with the way the world is today that scares me out of my mind!!!!!  I got my sons through and now have to think about my grandson...
DX 5/13/08 Clearwater, FL HER2 +
IDC Stage IIIA changed 12/2/08 to IIB Grade 3
Taxotere, Carbo & Herceptin  6/11/08
Part Mas 11/5/08 SNB neg & addl node neg - CLEAN MARGINS!
Arimidex 11/25/08  35 Rads 12/15/08

Rena
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Tuesday, November 05, 2013 10:32 AM
Warning: long post ahead.

My, but it's quiet in here. I hope that means that everyone is busy with the good things in life! Tricia, you must be excited about having the whole family together this weekend!

The sun is shining in Pacific Grove. We've had a beautiful fall and, I hope, will have a beautiful winter with lots of rain at night and sun all day. Gee, is that asking for too much? Yeah, probably.

I still feel like warmed-over dog crap. Some mornings, it's hard to stand up, and I feel so damned depressed. I felt that way yesterday, so I turned on an episode of Roseanne, had a laugh or two and then felt better. The rest of the day was fine. I'm taking the sublingual B12 as advised, and I saw the psychiatrist who prescribes my antidepressant. He's an odd duck (as many shrinks are), but he knows so much about medications--he's a walking PDR! He said that the B12 deficiency could wreak havoc on the brain, but he also talked about Folic Acid. Interestingly, they've found that some people--mostly women and obese people with long-term depression (he excluded me from the second group, for which I was very grateful!)--cannot convert folic acid into L-Methylfolate, a substance that can cross the blood-brain barrier and boost neurotransmitters. So there's a pill form of the substance (concentrated folic acid that has already been converted into L-Methylfolate) called Deplin. It's not a drug but, rather, a food product, so insurance won't cover it, but there are no side effects or drug interactions, which is great since I'm the queen of strange side effects. I'm going to add that to my Zoloft and see if it helps. I don't like being dependent on drugs, but I come by it honestly. I know that it's in my family, especially my father, and all the meditating, positive visualization and movement in the world has never made it go away. Anyway sorry for going on about it, but I like to share these things because you never know if there's someone out there feeling the same way, who may benefit from Deplin. 

[font="arial, sans-serif; line-height: 27px"]

I've arranged my work so that I have today through Friday off. YAY!! On Thursday, I'm going to San Francisco to spend a little time with Karen, and then I'll head back south and stop in Los Gatos for the night. It's a really cute little town in the San Jose area. The main street has lots of cafes and shops, and across the street from my hotel is the prettiest little square with a park. I love to sit there and read, so I hope the weather cooperates. I don't mind being cool as long as it's dry. (and, as you all know, I'm really cool ha ha snort).

Karen had strep, so her wonderful boss told her to take an extra week before starting work. She starts on Nov 12. And (stop me if I said this already) they talked about Karen teaching the children ballet! I can't put into words how special that would be for her (and the kids). She has been a dancer all her life, even when she wasn't actively dancing, and I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see her working with the kids. 

I hope you are all well. Lots of love . . .
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Tricia Keegan
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Tuesday, November 05, 2013 12:28 PM
Thanks for updating us Rena and yes, it is very quiet around here this week, I was busy at the cancer centre yesterday so didn't get online very much. I really hope the Deplin helps you and I'm sure others will be glad of all that info as I'm sure it can be hard to research these things when feeling depressed and  fatigued as many do. 

I'm really looking forward to the weekend and seeing them all together again, Ian had a day off work today so they were taking Una to be registered for school for next year, where has the time gone???  
I really hope Karen recovers well before she starts her new job and it would be wonderful for her to get paid for doing something she loves so much, I'm glad its working out for her.:)

I had myself in a panic earlier, the past couple of weeks I've noticed a slight twitch in my left eye, no one would notice it but I feel it, cancer never entered my head but when I googled the likelihood of breastcancer mets to the eye/brain area it appears its one of the more common places  BC likes to travel to...yikes!!!!:(  
I calmed myself down after a while as the main side effect is vision disturbances (although twitching was mentioned too) so have decided to relax and enjoy the weekend and if its still there next week I'll call the Onc for an appt and talk it over with her. Its been a long time since I had a scare and I've been remiss in taking my good health for granted the past few years, anyway I'm not going to dwell on it, but will panic next week if needs be!

I hope everyone is busy and enjoying life, our weathers been very mild here and we've had some lovely sunny days but its beginning to get quite chilly now so think its time to get my winter coat out again!Pals
Carepage- survivortricia

Rena
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Tuesday, November 05, 2013 12:47 PM
Tricia, step AWAY from the computer and stop scaring yourself! Twitching eyelids are so common and are usually related to stress, fatigue and/or lack of sleep. Mine come and go. Once in a while, it's so bad that my eye actually closes! I'm sure that's all this is. It's annoying as hell, I know!

For now, I hope you will find a lot of happiness in looking forward to the weekend. I can't believe either that Una is going to start school! Do they have kindergarten over there, as we do?

Thank you for the good wishes for Karen. I wish the same for your three and especially hope that Louise will be happy in her new apartment! 

xo
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

Tricia Keegan
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Tuesday, November 05, 2013 4:05 PM
Thanks Rena and I know I should follow my own advice which is the same as you've given me lol, I have been under some stress lately so hope thats all it is but you know that feeling when your stomach lurches and it all comes back, not pleasant and I'm brilliant at self dx, just wish I got it right each time!:)

Thanks too for your good wishes and yes, we do have kindergarten which we call nursery and she's been loving that all this year, she missed her Halloween party there due to her chicken pox but Ian said she's fine now and has her little pink case all packed and ready to go:)
Carepage- survivortricia

ElaineQW
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Tuesday, November 05, 2013 5:44 PM
Yes way too quiet on the site....don't know what to say about that.

Tricia - I cannot believe that Una will be going to school!  How wonderful that you will all be together.  Have fun!

Rena - I hope the Deplin works for you.  I do believe Roseanne helped....laughter can be so good for us.  I'm so happy to hear Karen's news although sorry for the flu part :(  

Me - I'm good.  No news really.  Halloween in Austin with the rugrats was great fun.  Work is going very well.  No MRI this year, but still taking Arimidex (at least for an extra 3 months). Looking forward to another birthday, Thanksgiving, and the Holidays.  It's a busy time...Palm Springs for Thanksgiving, Austin for Christmas, Palm Springs again in January for Film Festival, possibly back to Austin in February, Las Vegas in March, then Italy in April!  OK - are y'all exhausted yet??  LOL  On the bad news side, there was an attemptd rape in our underground parking structure last night!!  I have an alarm which I will now carry faithfully!  They're adding extra 24-hr security patrols.  The complex is very large (900 apartments) and there is underground parking under each 2 buildings.  It is gated as is the complex to get on the grounds; but one can never be 100% safe I guess.

Pat - Sharonma -- hope you guys are well.  

Hug
Elaine

Rena
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:18 PM
Tricia, I have a very good feeling about this, but of course I understand how easy it is to get thrown back into our "dark place." Fingers firmly crossed!

Elaine--you're right. I get tired just reading your itinerary! I hope you have a wonderful time on your travels. I am so sorry to hear about the attempted rape--thank goodness he failed. But that would be very unsettling to say the least, and I'm glad to hear that they've hired security guards.
And I'm glad that you have an alarm! Very smart.
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive

scootersmom
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Wednesday, November 06, 2013 8:32 PM
Elaine--How terrible that something happens so close to home.  Glad you have protection.

Rena--Sorry to hear that you are under the weather.  Hope your drive this week will be relaxing.

Tricia--I too suffer from eye "ticks" every now and then but it is contributed to eye strain.  It gets very annoying and I hope that your issue is just tired eyes.

It's been crazy here.  Trying to recover from the cupcake sales we were doing in October.  I've been dealing with a lot of stress at work and just not sure how much longer I am willing to take it.  Everything in life should not be confrontational or stressful.
I've been in a funk as of late.  The stress from work, stupid ass comments from family members yet again, and the crappy weather is playing a part.  I just feel overwhelmed. I have doctors appointments coming up so  that is also a factor.  Most people go on vacation when they have time off of work.  Me-I schedule doctor's appointments so that they don't interfere with work.

My brother-in-law's niece was just diagnosed with breast cancer.  She is going in next Friday for a bilateral.  Damn disease!!

Well better run--

Everyone have a wonderful day and enjoy the visits with your family.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS

ElaineQW
Re:Daily Diary of Joy - Thursday, November 07, 2013 8:21 AM
Tina - so sorry first to hear about your brother in law's niece!  How many times do we have to say how much we hate this damn disease???

Work stress is the worst - most of the time it's other people stressing us out and often we can't do anything about it.  I hope this isn't your situation and that you have some power to make it less stressful.

Here's to some positive energy visiting you soon :)

Hug
Elaine

Change Page: << < ..151152153154155156157158159160.. > | Showing page 160 of 178, messages 3181 to 3200 of 3541