Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The waiting room!!!
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 20 of 482, messages 191 to 200 of 4817
Sharon

• Total Posts : 1625
  • Reward points : 4250
Re:The waiting room!!! - Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:44 PM
A Pink Zinfadel coming over Farla, enjoy, Cheers/Slainte/ Nastrovia! x
Non Hodgkins Lymphoma Extra Nodal (Stomach + BM)
Stage IV C. Survivor x 5 years
T/ment: 8 cycles Rituxan CVP x 8 + Rads. x 30
Friends affected by Breast Cancer

kare369

• Total Posts : 43
  • Reward points : 9700
Re:The waiting room!!! - Friday, July 30, 2010 8:03 AM
Hello everyone, I have met all the dr.'s on my team and got some more info.
I need to get a pet scan and 1 more biopsy. If the biopsy is poss. I will have to
have a masectomy vs. a lumpectomy. If the pet scan is clear my plan will go like this:
Chemo for about 4 months to shrink the tumor, surgery and then radiation. I will
be having a port put in also. 1st chemo will be Aug. 16 Not looking forward to more tests and the
port being put in but I am ready to get this going. Also they want to do a genetics test,
how do they do that? I can't believe I didn't ask. So much info in a short time. So, I guess
I am still in the waiting room for awhile. They should be calling me today to give me my apt.
times for the biopsy, pet scan and the port. Oh, my chest x-ray and blood work came back normal.

Thanks ladies, I will let you know more when I find out.
Hope everyone is well!
LaudyLo

• Total Posts : 679
  • Reward points : 1160
Re:The waiting room!!! - Friday, July 30, 2010 8:52 AM
Hey there girlfriend:)    Yeah, I know what you're say'in, I remember wanting to get things started as well!    I have had 2 genetic tests: The first one was for the Onca DX , the surgeon simply sends a sample from your tumor to their lab in California. I suppose the same might be done from a sampling from a biopsy of the tumor as well. Anyhow this genetic test will show the most likely rate of occurence you may or may not have.There is nothing extra you need to have done for this test:)

The 2nd genetic test I had done was called the BRCA analysis and is tested by a simple blood test from you and then sent to their lab that tests for this... (sometimes the Onc does this before chemo, in my case she did it after and therefore it was done about a month or so after chemo so chemo could get out of system enough for the blood test to be accurate)  This test is great to detect if you may or may not be carrying the mutation for ovarian cancer as well as other types of cancers and can be a great tool for your treatment plan for your doctor. Hope this helps:)
Laurie/S.Fl.
DX@ age: 46 on 8/17/09
IDC Stage 1, Grade 3, Node Neg. Hert2-
Lumpectomy R.B. 1.08 CM.  Er+ & PR+
Onca score:  "24"          BRCA-Negitive!
Chemo-(8) C.M.F...   DONE final 3/17/10
Rads x 36..............   DONE final 6/04/10
1200 UI Vitamin D    & Tamoxifen 5 yrs.

Sharon

• Total Posts : 1625
  • Reward points : 4250
Re:The waiting room!!! - Friday, July 30, 2010 1:04 PM
Karen, you are treading a road there aren't you?  A lot of info. you had  to take in.  Happy for you that the Bloods were OK.

Wish for you that 16th August passes well. I think of you.

Sharon x
Non Hodgkins Lymphoma Extra Nodal (Stomach + BM)
Stage IV C. Survivor x 5 years
T/ment: 8 cycles Rituxan CVP x 8 + Rads. x 30
Friends affected by Breast Cancer

Skindy

• Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points : 6655
Re:The waiting room!!! - Friday, July 30, 2010 2:26 PM
Tricia,

Awesome idea.  The waiting room is a lonely place and it would be nice to have a place where you can have support.  You have such lovely ideas.  You are a beautiful, caring person to do this. 

Cindy
"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special".... Steel Magnolias

C Berrier, Austin, Tx 55
Diag. 3/02/2006 Stage IV
11/13 positive nodes, e/p +
Mast/Hyst. 3/24/06
Almost 7 years Yeah!!!!
kare369

• Total Posts : 43
  • Reward points : 9700
Re:The waiting room!!! - Saturday, July 31, 2010 9:59 AM
Thank-you for the info !
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:The waiting room!!! - Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:01 PM
Thank you Cindy, I cant take the credit as saw the idea on another board but loved it so much I knew we needed our own on komen:)

Good luck Karen, you're going to be busy with medical appts for a while but it will settle down, and you're never alone in the waiting room:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Pat Patterson

• Total Posts : 3693
  • Reward points : 8085
Re:The waiting room!!! - Sunday, August 01, 2010 6:40 AM
Karen - this is exactly how the plan went for me.  I was a nervous wreck, I will tell you, waiting for the results of that PET scan.   It all went extremely well, the chemo first annihilated the cancer, it never showed again on the ultrasound or MRI's!  The suregeon said it was a good thing that the radiologist put markers in there or he wouldn't know what tissue to remove in the partial mastectomy.  Hang in there - you are almost on your way     and we are right beside you! 
DX 5/13/08 Clearwater, FL HER2 +
IDC Stage IIIA changed 12/2/08 to IIB Grade 3
Taxotere, Carbo & Herceptin  6/11/08
Part Mas 11/5/08 SNB neg & addl node neg - CLEAN MARGINS!
Arimidex 11/25/08  35 Rads 12/15/08
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:The waiting room!!! - Monday, August 02, 2010 5:13 PM
I've copied/paste the following from Cindys thread -

Tricia, I looked for the new thread but it must not be up yet.  I am in the waiting room right now.  I thought I could talk myself out of it, but I just can't.  I have my regular 3 month check-up on August 16th, and I am already worrying myself sick about it.  I do this every three months, so it's nothing new.  I become weepy, withdrawn, and feel as if none of my family understands when I try to explain how I feel.

I keep hoping this will go away, and it has improved tremendously, but I am 4 1/2 years out and still feel very, very anxious every three months.  I think that going every three months is probably a constant reminder that I had a high risk of recurrence and my Oncologist has kept me on this program for 4 1/2 years now.  I used to go every 2 months, then he upped it to 3 months.  I also think when he changes it to 6 months or a year, I will still freak when I have a twinge. 

This just sucks.  I am functional and everyone thinks I am a-ok, but inside my gut is rumbling and I feel as if I want to jump out of my skin.  I know I am the only one who can change this, and I do work on it.  It's just hard and I wanted to say "I WAS IN THE WAITING ROOM".  Anyone else?

Thanks Tricia, I do think the Waiting Room is an excellent idea!!!

Cindy

Okay Cindy, NOW you're in the waiting room!   Pat will pour you a drink by the water feature in the garden while we all gather to hold your hand:)  (Hurry up Pat!!! mine's a dry white wine please)

Cindy, I dont think your onc is doing you any favours by dragging you back for appts every three months, I also have a high recurrance risk along with many other's here, but only see my onc once a year unless I have a problem.
It just leads to more stress and anxiety, and if you're feeling okay, why bother???

I think we need to help ourseleves leave cancer in the past somewhat and it's more difficult for you, if you're seeing the onc so often as if you're still in tx!
This is really not the norm, and while it may have been reassuring in the early days, I'd speak to him/her about stretching the appt's out further now.

Cindy, I doubt you have anything to worry about, you're feeling well, and almost five years out!!!  Thats a great milestone to reach for anyone, so take confidence in that.
While your appt is worrying of course, tell yourself it's only a routine appt, and it's not as if you found a lump or have pain and worrying about bone mets or something.

Please try to reassure yourself, the Dr can only do so much.
Of course we're all here for you through the waiting but I have a hunch you'll be fine:)

Slainte!!!  and ((((hugs))))
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Pat Patterson

• Total Posts : 3693
  • Reward points : 8085
Re:The waiting room!!! - Monday, August 02, 2010 6:35 PM
Tricia, my dear, dear friend...here you go!!!!  I'm having a beer - anyone join me?       Cindy, aren't we supposed to feel the way that you do?  I thought I would go out of my mind when, after I saw my oncologist,  they called me back for more bloodwork.  In case you didn't see my post...I just about had myself dead and buried, and all over a low potassium level!  And he had told me that everything was good but I was convinced they must have found something after I left.  I believe that this is our fate, we can do this to ourselves or not, it is OUR choice!  Que sera, sera....

[link=http://www.smileycentral.com/dl/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb098_ZNxdm801YTUS&utm_id=7926][/link]
DX 5/13/08 Clearwater, FL HER2 +
IDC Stage IIIA changed 12/2/08 to IIB Grade 3
Taxotere, Carbo & Herceptin  6/11/08
Part Mas 11/5/08 SNB neg & addl node neg - CLEAN MARGINS!
Arimidex 11/25/08  35 Rads 12/15/08
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 20 of 482, messages 191 to 200 of 4817

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll