Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The waiting room!!!
Change Page: << < ..461462463464465466467468469470.. > | Showing page 465 of 482, messages 4641 to 4650 of 4817
Author Message
Tricia Keegan

  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
  • Joined: 1/1/2005
  • Location: Ireland
  • Status: offline
Re:The waiting room!!! - Friday, January 31, 2014 5:19 PM
Thats wonderful news Rena and I can imagine how relieved you all are:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Rena

  • Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
  • Joined: 1/1/2005
  • Location: California
  • Status: offline
Re:The waiting room!!! - Saturday, February 01, 2014 8:39 AM
Thanks, Tricia! Very relieved!
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
Tricia Keegan

  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
  • Joined: 1/1/2005
  • Location: Ireland
  • Status: offline
Re:The waiting room!!! - Saturday, February 01, 2014 10:52 AM
I was sad to receive   an e mail late last night from an ex Komen friend telling me the cancer was back, she doesn't have any other details as yet but I'm hoping any treatment will be minimal so please keep Sue in your thoughts that this has been found early.
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Saturday, February 01, 2014 4:39 PM>
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
scootersmom

  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
  • Joined: 3/30/2011
  • Location: Waukegan, Illinois
  • Status: offline
Re:The waiting room!!! - Saturday, February 01, 2014 2:54 PM
Will do.  
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.
 
 



GeoWolf

  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 75
  • Joined: 2/5/2014
  • Status: offline
Re:The waiting room!!! - Wednesday, February 05, 2014 7:21 PM
Hi everyone.  I feel a little odd asking questions here since all I have been told is that they saw something on my US.  I have a strong family history of breast cancer so of course every time they see something I start to worry.  I need to decide if I should insist on a biopsy again.  (I did about 16 months ago and it was B9) 


It doesn't help that the hospital where I had my testing done can't get their act together so I've been in limbo for a month.  Longer if you count from when I had the MRI in early Dec. They wanted to compare my last mammogram and US (done in early May) to it before deciding if they needed to do more.  The problem was I had that one done in Texas and it had to be sent to FL.  They kept claiming they didn't get them.  Finally my doctor got frustrated and told them to do another US for themselves, since they had one there from Oct of the year before they could use that to compare.  When I went in they measured 2 spots.  One was the spot I'd had biopsied (B9 - Fibroadnomia) at that hospital the year before.  The other was a new area and it was very uncomfortable since they were sort of pressing on and twisting my nipple.  The tech told me "You should hear something tomorrow."  Which concerned me because it's always been "in a few days" or "less than a week."  Only I didn't hear anything that day or the next or the next...  After a week I started calling.  The radiologist is out of town until next week.  The radiologist should have it done by tomorrow.  It still says it hasn't been read." After 3 days of calling and arguing - "The radiologist is looking at it right now.  Someone will call you as soon as it's done."  Um no!  I kept calling and getting excuses.  (Yes I talked to supervisors)  Finally 4 weeks after I'd had the US they called to tell me the radiologist rated it BI-RADS 4 with a low suspicion.  Then she added that it was rated 4a, but that they wanted a biopsy.  Which was fine with me, because I'd rather be sure.  With the BIRADS 3 last year I had to fight for one.  I wanted it because my cousin had a 3 and her doctor was the type who wanted to be sure since her grandmother and aunt (My greats) both had breast cancer. It was stage II.   The problem is that now I'm in Texas.  Which I didn't think was a huge deal except that 1st the sent the films to the wrong address and without a room number on them it took an extra day for them to hunt them down.  My doctor here called me and said that she didn't look at the films but the report described the spot as "mostly round" or at least I think that's what she said.  She told me that cancer is rarely symmetrical.  For this reason she wonders if they are being to cautious by rating it a 4 instead of a 3. (I believe the same radiologist read them both)  She wants to send my films to the place that did my Mammogram/US last May and have them take a look and decide if they think I need a biopsy or if they want to do another US to decide.  At this point I'm rather frustrated.  I was prepared for one and having answers.  I suffer from anxiety and this is  making me anxious.  I am worried that this person will decide that I don't need the biopsy that the other hospital told me I should have.  I wonder why I should trust this new person more than I would trust the one in Florida?  But I hate having to fight to get something done.  And this small voice in the back of my head says that if I do a biopsy now it will once again come back as B9, but if I put it off it might not.  Which I know is silly.  Of course I don't want to have a biopsy every year but I'm going to be 52 in a few weeks and it would seem that sooner or later things would stop growing in there. Right?  I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's unreasonable for me to argue over this if that is the only way to get a biopsy.  Here is my family history


I am - Negative - for known BC genes - Unknown for family members who had breast cancer as none of them were tested.  


Maternal:  2nd cousin age 52; stage II (She had yearly mammograms) Cancer free for 10 years - Great Aunt unknown, but 50's. - Great Grandmothers on both sides.  Both in their 50.  Both died of breast cancer in their 60s.  


Paternal:  Aunt - age 49; Stage II, (14 months between mammograms)  She has been cancer free for about 2 years.  She is only one month older than I am.  Aunt - Age 56; She is now Stage IV (not sure of time between mammograms. Over a year, but less then 18 months.)  Grandfather - Unknown age, but believe to be early 50's.  (He didn't like to talk about it and only his wife and youngest children even knew.  However he didn't tell them until they were adults.  They were under 5 when he had the [font="verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%"]Mastectomy.  His other children were grown or living with my dad.)  2 of my dad's other sisters had [font="verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%"]hysterectomies in their mid to late 20's for what they were told was cancer.  One says it was a partial hysterectomy and that is how she had another child later.  The other had mental issues and no one has any further details, other than that she claimed to have cancer again but was never willing to talk about what kind.  She has since passed (age 70) of unknown causes.  My dad's other sister died of Lung Cancer at 63 or 64.  
[font="verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%"]

Thank you for any thoughts. 
[font="verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%"]

[font="verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%"]





 

scootersmom

  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
  • Joined: 3/30/2011
  • Location: Waukegan, Illinois
  • Status: offline
Re:The waiting room!!! - Wednesday, February 05, 2014 9:03 PM
Wow--What a run around.  If you are not content with the follow ups from your doctor, maybe you should find another one.  Is it possible to find a "breast center" or specialist in your area for a second opinion?  It's a shame that they make you wait this long and still don't tell you anything.

Good luck.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.
 
 



GeoWolf

  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 75
  • Joined: 2/5/2014
  • Status: offline
Re:The waiting room!!! - Thursday, February 06, 2014 2:22 AM
It really isn't my doctor who is the problem.  It's the hospital in Florida.  My my mom's sister died suddenly in Nov and I went down for her funeral.  We decided to stay for Christmas and I didn't want to delay the MRI.  It just seemed like a cursed thing from the start.  I went in Nov but I had a cold and I couldn't breathe in the machine so after 15 minutes I had to give up.  I don't think it helped that it was the same hospital my aunt had passed in 2 weeks earlier.  I had to wait for my next cycle, which thankfully came.  I've only had 3 in the last 10 months.  Then the hospital has been the problem since then.  Someone from my doctor's office has been talking to me at least weekly and often twice a week trying to get the info.  They have been very "on the ball" over this.  They didn't actually have my info in their hands until today.  I was just a little shocked that they wanted a second opinion.  I really just want the biopsy so that I can be sure.  I do know that they sometimes downgrade what they see on a mammogram once they look at it on an US.  I just don't know how it works with an MRI or even if or what the MRI was rated.  But my feeling is that given how long it took to get my results, that a radiologist would rather it turn out to be a lower score and therefore something that was on the line he would tend to see it as a 3 instead of a 4a.  Not that I think they would intentionally lower the grade.  Just that there is no way they are going to make it even a tiny bit higher.  For that reason I'm not sure I would ever trust the 2nd opinion if they wanted to lower it at this point.  But I'll admit I tend to over think things.  I also hate waiting and that is another problem.  Waiting 6 months for another look to make sure they were right.  I don't want to fall on the wrong side of the odds no matter how slim they are.  I also want to know what others would do or did, about having a biopsy, with borderline scans.  
Tricia Keegan

  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
  • Joined: 1/1/2005
  • Location: Ireland
  • Status: offline
Re:The waiting room!!! - Thursday, February 06, 2014 4:32 AM
Hi, if you put this in a new post maybe more people will see it and reply to you, but I agree that if you feel uneasy I too would insist on a biopsy.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
sharonma

  • Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
  • Status: offline
Re:The waiting room!!! - Thursday, February 06, 2014 8:13 AM
Tricia, 
I'm sorry to hear of Sue's reocurrence.  There have been so many "Sue" s here, but am thinking of a few.  Please let her know I am sending best wishes and hope for a full recovery.   

Hi wolf,
I know this must be extra frustrating because of the move. I was dxd  8 months after my last move.  Fortunately it was only about 1 1/2 hour away, so I drove back to get all of my previous mammos and records.

 If your gut is telling you a biopsy is needed, then maybe you can  make an appointment to sit down with the doc to discuss.  It might be more effective than back and forth calls and second guessing the rad report.  In fact you can request a copy of all of the reports to have for your own piece of mind.



 I'm not sure what you mean by,"...I'm going to be 52 in a few weeks and it would seem that sooner or later things would stop growing in there"

dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  
GeoWolf

  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 75
  • Joined: 2/5/2014
  • Status: offline
Re:The waiting room!!! - Monday, February 10, 2014 3:24 AM
I seem to be having trouble with the site, because I thought I posted it in a new post.  I'm sorry that I messed up.  I just can't even figure out where it posted.  :(   This site doesn't seem as user friendly as the infertility sites I belong to.   I don't think I'll try again because I don't want to end up in the middle of someone else's thread.  Thanks for your responses though.  
Change Page: << < ..461462463464465466467468469470.. > | Showing page 465 of 482, messages 4641 to 4650 of 4817

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll
  • Submit Vote
  • Post reward post
  • Delete my own posts
  • Delete my own threads
  • Rate post

© 2000-2008 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.1.5