The waiting room!!!

Change Page: 12345678910.. > | Showing page 1 of 241, messages 1 to 20 of 4817
Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
The waiting room!!! - Monday, June 07, 2010 5:24 PM
I have noticed there is always someone on the board who is waiting for results of a various scan or test. We all know how difficult the waiting for reslults can be! There is a lot of anxiety that comes along with this.I like to be able to follow up with people, but sometimes it is very hard to keep track of everyone and sometimes these individuals go MIA. I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for those of us who are well....in the Waiting Room.
Soooo.... Have a pain, and waiting for your bone scan results? Having a PET scan or MRI? Mammogram? Ultrasound?
This is the place to be for support and encouragment. So grab a seat, pick up a magazine or have a cup of coffee....
<message edited by Komen Admin on Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:16 PM>
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

ElaineQW
  • Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:The waitng room!!! - Monday, June 07, 2010 5:48 PM
Great idea Tricia!  

Hug,
Elaine
 A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Tricia Keegan
Re:The waitng room!!! - Monday, June 07, 2010 5:51 PM
Thanks Elaine, but cant take the credit as got the idea from another site.  I do think it'll be welocme here though too:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

JulieS
  • Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:The waitng room!!! - Monday, June 07, 2010 6:00 PM
Tricia,
Great Idea!!!!!  The tech that did my mammo the other day told me that they are changing the way they do things and IF (what do you mean IF!!!)  I wanted to wait for results (which they always have given to everyone right away!)  that I had to tell them when I made the appointment that I was a BC survivor) so they would schedule it when there is someone to read it right away.  Something new but NOT good news. 

So what does everyone do while in the "waiting room?"  I either curl up and feel sorry for myself or get busy and do extra cleaning.
Hope and strength,
Julie S
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-

Peki
  • Total Posts : 393
  • Reward points : 12230
Re:The waitng room!!! - Monday, June 07, 2010 6:34 PM
I agree, great idea to have a "waiting room".  After the fiasco I went through in December (new onc NOT calling me to tell me I had a hematoma/seroma that needed to be drained) after the mammogram and ultrasound; the newest onc (my choice this time-not on the insurance list) made sure I would KNOW before I left the radiology dept.  She wrote a script that requested the same MD who had done my biopsy to come in and look at the ultrasound results as they were being done. That MD and I talked about the differences in treatment from the East Coast to the West Coast; I showed her my brachytherapy pictures; and she told me chances are I will always have the hematoma, although it is a little smaller in size.  She thought my scar from the lumpectomy looked great, and I felt a whole lot more settled when I left radiology this time.
Without the support this time, turning to this waiting room would have been a great idea to keep me from freaking out and thinking the worst!

farla
  • Total Posts : 624
  • Reward points : 6720
Re:The waitng room!!! - Monday, June 07, 2010 9:12 PM
Great idea - I can see that it has already morphed a bit into a site where we can come to for support and ideas on how to handle the wait.  I love you guys.

I posted on radiation, but I'll repost (restate?) it here.  I went for a followup mri at my husband's hospital because it took my insurance, and my original radiologist didn't take any insurance. It went well, untill the part when the one person in the entire hospital who reads breast mris was out that day. The next day we found out she was out for the week.  I wish they had told me before the test - just out of courtesy, you know? So, when I finally call for the results, I am told it wasn't ready - they were waiting for a mammo, and had never told me. My husband flipped. I got the disc, and went back to my beloved radiologist, who, btw saved my life by finding this teeny tiny 3 mm cancer that had already spread beyond the sentinal node!  She did a mammo and us, read the mri and  I am fine.  I get another mammo of the affected breast, and us of both in 3 months, then mammo and us of both in 6 mos, then mammo of one, us of both in 9 then another mri next year.  Unless my onc decided differently, of course.

And how to handle the wait?  I tried not to think of it.  I had this little lymph node that really really worried me, so I think that as long as I was doing what I needed to do - get the testing done, and get it read as soon as I could, emotional avoidance for a little while worked for me.  I'm not advocating avoidance in a way that interferes with treatment or testing - that is bad, you need to get done what you need to get done. Just that for me at that time, I had done the mri, I was told to wait the week, so avoidance worked for me, and enabled me to function with all the rest of the craziness that was going on.  oh yes! I forgot to mention!  The week  of the mri my mom got her hip replaced and my aunt died, so I had plenty to keep me busy with and avoid what I couldn't change anyway.
<message edited by farla on Monday, June 07, 2010 9:13 PM>
Farla
dx 8/09, R double lumpectomy, invasive mixed DCIS/LCIS
ER + PR + Her -
1/3 Sentinel pos. 1/15 nodes pos
 Stage 2A  Grade 2, Nottingham 6
chemo A/C x4, Taxol x 4 started 9/21/09 DONE!!!
femara  started 2/5/10
rads  2/8/10 DONE!!!
Now - osteoporosis?  Vit D, calcium, and a baby aspirin to boot!

Tricia Keegan
Re:The waitng room!!! - Tuesday, June 08, 2010 4:07 AM
Thanks for all your comments ladies, I think this thread will be popular and it's reassuring just to have someone send good wishes at a time we're vulnerable and worried:)

Sometimes we miss people posting on other forums so I thought it may help to have one place we can all look into, and hopefully no one will be here waiting too long!
Carepage- survivortricia

farla
Re:The waitng room!!! - Tuesday, June 08, 2010 4:37 AM
Tricia -you are so great, Thank you
Farla
ER + PR + Her -
femara  started 2/5/10
rads  2/8/10 DONE!!!

Army Mom
  • Total Posts : 638
  • Reward points : 10290
Re:The waitng room!!! - Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:54 AM

Wonderful thread !!  Thank you so much for putting it here. I go Thurs for my first MRI since surgery,chemo and rads. A bit nervous. Lots of emotions etc. I am trying to decide if I want to take the day off work. Maybe I will. One thing I was able to do is make sure the same doctor is working Thursday so she can read my pics. I shall keep you all posted !!
Grace 

Lumpectomy June 18,2009
4 rounds T/C DONE !
33 rounds of rads DONE !!
1 yr of Herceptin - DONE  !!!
2 yrs Tamoxafen/ taken off due to elevated liver enzymes.
oophorectomy 05/2012

March 27,2015 DX right breast
Lumpectomy April 16th 2015
To start chemo soon

54 years young  :)
Mother of 2 sons in US Army
Wife of wonderful husband
and of course I am now.
KOMAN STRONG  :)

Pat Patterson
  • Total Posts : 3693
  • Reward points : 8085
Re:The waitng room!!! - Tuesday, June 08, 2010 10:09 AM
Tricia - did you feel those VIBES coming across the ocean?  I was just about to post MAJOR SCANXIETY!!!!  I had my MRI on Friday but my appt with the surgeon for the results is not until the 15th.  TOMORROW, however, is my mammogram and needless to say, I am a wreck.  I usually get those results right away...move over and make a place for me in your waiting room!!!!!
DX 5/13/08 Clearwater, FL HER2 +
IDC Stage IIIA changed 12/2/08 to IIB Grade 3
Taxotere, Carbo & Herceptin  6/11/08
Part Mas 11/5/08 SNB neg & addl node neg - CLEAN MARGINS!
Arimidex 11/25/08  35 Rads 12/15/08

Pat Patterson
Re:The waitng room!!! - Tuesday, June 08, 2010 10:11 AM
and I wanted to add that all of this corresponds with my timeframe of two years ago....my first chemo was actually June 11th...but I believe that my MRI was June 4th then as well.  What a coincidence, huh?

Sharon
  • Total Posts : 1625
  • Reward points : 4250
Re:The waitng room!!! - Tuesday, June 08, 2010 11:18 AM
Great thread Tricia, I won't be here 'til December!!

Grace, gunning for you on Thursday and the result.  No matter how busy and positive we are, it's always there, that little doubt...it's so natural isn't it.? I have to say the further away I get timewise from Cancer the less I worry about the Tests. Hands up, I admit I was having Kittens waiting for the first result after treatment.

Pat, wishing you every bit of good fortune going on the 15th (only 7 sleeps to go) and tomorrow!    The way you feel right now is just horrid, Wreck Time to be sure.  Are you putting the sugar in the laundry machine and the laundry in the cupboard?? I have been there lol.

Good luck Ladies.
Sharon

Non Hodgkins Lymphoma Extra Nodal (Stomach + BM)
Stage IV C. Survivor x 5 years
T/ment: 8 cycles Rituxan CVP x 8 + Rads. x 30
Friends affected by Breast Cancer

Tricia Keegan
Re:The waitng room!!! - Tuesday, June 08, 2010 1:13 PM
Soo, welcome into our waiting room Grace and Pat, and while I know you both prefer not to be here at the very least it's nice to hold hands and know you're not alone.

I'm sending all the Irish luck I can muster to both of you, and while waiting for results does have us nibbling our nails...maybe we can bring a few chocolates in for you both to nibble on instead lol....

I'm thinking B9 B9 B9!!!!!!!

Please post an update when you can ladies and our thoughts and good wishes will be with you.
((((hugs)))))
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 4:35 PM>
Carepage- survivortricia

Toni Soucie
  • Total Posts : 1885
  • Reward points : 9845
Re:The waitng room!!! - Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:22 PM
Tricia,

This is a super idea.   Thanks for bringing it here.
Toni
LI NY
DCIS 10/05 
Surgery & 6 1/2 weeks of radiation 
Tamoxifen for 2 1/2 months and stopped
due to vision issues

Toni Soucie
  • Total Posts : 1885
  • Reward points : 9845
Re:The waitng room!!! - Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:23 PM
Pat,

Good luck and I will say a prayer for you.
Toni
LI NY
DCIS 10/05 
Surgery & 6 1/2 weeks of radiation 
Tamoxifen for 2 1/2 months and stopped
due to vision issues

Peki
  • Total Posts : 393
  • Reward points : 12230
Re:The waitng room!!! - Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:54 PM
Pat-will be thinking of you tomorrow and Grace on Thursday- we will keep a pile of fresh magazines ready for you here!

farla
Re:The waitng room!!! - Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:42 PM
OK, Pat and Grace, I'm sending out those hopes and prayers, too  NED,, NED, be our best friend!
Farla
ER + PR + Her -
femara  started 2/5/10
rads  2/8/10 DONE!!!

Pat Patterson
Re:The waitng room!!! - Wednesday, June 09, 2010 6:00 AM
Thank you all so much!  Needless to say I am up and ready to go to my 9:20 appt.  Think they'd mind if I showed up two hours early? 

JulieS
  • Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:The waitng room!!! - Wednesday, June 09, 2010 12:06 PM
Oh Pat you are so funny!!! I usually wait till the last minute to get ready.....pretending I am not going anywhere important (although it is always yelling at me in my mind)  You should be done by now......so waiting to hear the good news.....and will send a few bananas!
Hope and strength,
Julie S

Thinking of you tomorrow Grace!!!!
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-

Tricia Keegan
Re:The waitng room!!! - Wednesday, June 09, 2010 12:51 PM
I see Pat just posted on another thread to say she received good news and is good to go for another six months!!!:)

I hope you get the same news Grace!!! x
Carepage- survivortricia

Change Page: 12345678910.. > | Showing page 1 of 241, messages 1 to 20 of 4817