Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Winter chemo ladies!
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 13 of 28, messages 121 to 130 of 271
Dalysha

• Total Posts : 28
  • Reward points : 1360
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:33 PM
Judy & Dot: I'm sorry your treatments are delayed but we really need you burning on all cylinders before having it. It is quite manageable so long as it is all your body is dealing with. Feel better soon. You're both in my thoughts and prayers. xoxo Dawn
Age 39: Dx: DCIS/IDC 10/11/10
Bilat. Mastectomy w/Expanders 11/5/10
SNB x 2 - / BRCA -
ER/PR +/ Her -/Grade 2/Stage 1/Oncotype 19
Chemo: T&C X 4 (completed 2/16/2011)
Tamoxifen (3/11) & Reconstruction to Follow (4/11) 

If you don't like something change it;
if you can't change it,
change the way you think about it.
-Mary Engelbreit

WillowMother

• Total Posts : 111
  • Reward points : 4425
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:59 PM
Judy,

Last year I finished 3 rounds of FEC after 12 weeks of Taxol.  I too was confused because I hadn't met anyone else on the same treatment plan.  I responded to this regime very well and tolerated the side effects.  I'm a year out and all is going well.  Best wishes,

~Willow 49         
9/3/09 IDC Stage III 6cm. Nodes Positive ER+PR- HERs2 +
24wks Taxol/Herceptin/FEC                 
3/2010 Surgery Lumpectomy & Node dissection          
Rads x33  & Herceptin
11/15/12 Local Recurrence/Unilateral Mastectomy
DCIS & IDC HER2+
12/19/12 Beginning Navelbine & Herceptin      

Her Dotness

• Total Posts : 564
  • Reward points : 4525
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:08 PM
I'm just about as furious today as I've been in ages.

My voice is barely above a whispered squeak, so I asked my hubby to call the chemo room receptionist to reschedule my Monday infusion to two weeks from then.

She REFUSED! Said I should call the chemo nurse tomorrow and see if she agrees that I really need to do that or wait until Monday to cancel. I might be feeling lots better by Monday.

That is absolutely outrageous and decidedly not her place to dictate whether or not I'll feel up to keeping the appointment. I'm coughing my head off, haven't been out of bed for more than an hour or two today and have no interest whatsoever in wiping out whatever white cells I have helping me fend off this nasty flu.

Thankfully, my med onc gave me an antibiotic which seems to be working. I'm less congested today and showing definite signs of starting to work off the infectious components.

I'll call the nurse who is the very nice one who agreed that she'd certainly ask my med onc about an antibiotic as bad as I sounded yesterday. I also sent a letter to my med onc detailing this b-word's response with the request that the doctor discuss how inappropriate that is when speaking to a patient. 

Unbelievable!
Dot
<message edited by Her Dotness on Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:10 PM>
dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
1/5/11 lumpectomy, SLND 2+, ALND - 
T1c, clean margins!
er +/pr + (My little nasty was an estrogen drunk, said my med onc.) HER2 -
Chemo: TC Done 4/30/11 
Rads:  Done 6/30/11 
Arimidex 7/11-? 
JF

• Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points : 3520
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Friday, February 18, 2011 9:41 AM
Willow thanks for responding.  I think i understand why my dr is recommending it, but it is confusing because his partner at the same facility is telling me TC.  FEC is supposed to be easier on the system than TC in terms of side effects and i guess it has been around for a long time.  I am glad that you are done and that your body handled it well.  Thanks again,
Judy
diag 12/2010; lumpectomy and then re-excision to clear margins; 2.8cm; stage IIA; low grade; .85mm micromet; ONCO 15; ER 100%+/P+/HER-; TC x 4 started 2/24/2011; radiation ending on 7/8/11 then aromasin

JF

Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Friday, February 18, 2011 10:28 AM
Dot,
I agree that this nurse was out of line.  I would have done the letter too.  Go right to the med onc and tell her that you need to reschedule.  It may be that the chemo receptionist has little authority and can't really move things around.  Sounds like you need to go higher up next time.  They have got to understand that they are working in a high emotion high risk area and they cannot understate what the patient is feeling and the patient's needs.  My med onc said it is not a problem to reschedule around other things too like graduation, etc. and that it is not a medical issue pushing the chemo back, but it sure is a psychological one when you want to get it done.  Any little glitch in the process can really throw you because the whole thing is so darn stressful anyway, we don't want surprises or changes.  But you did the right thing to insist that you know your body and don't want to risk it.  So, your next treatment would be delayed by two weeks?

diag 12/2010; lumpectomy and then re-excision to clear margins; 2.8cm; stage IIA; low grade; .85mm micromet; ONCO 15; ER 100%+/P+/HER-; TC x 4 started 2/24/2011; radiation ending on 7/8/11 then aromasin

mary l

• Total Posts : 1618
  • Reward points : 4355
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Friday, February 18, 2011 10:43 AM
PalsPalsDot, I hope you are starting to feel "a little better".  It took my husband almost 2 weeks till he felt well again.  As far as cancelling your chemo, while, I was getting chemo I had a very bad migraine and I called the chemo infusion lab where I received my chemo, and was told I have to cancel through my onc office.  All I had to do was talk to the scheduling secretary and make a new appointment.  That is very unfortunate that someone has to be rude when you yourself are so sick.  Sometimes you come across people that really should not be working in heathcare as they don't know how to show empathy.  Again, I hope you are feeling better.   Mary L
Diag. Oct 2003 with 6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, Inflammatory Breast Cancer stage IIIB, Her2+++.   I had A/C followed by Taxotere (only had 2tx as I had heart problems from it); Left Mastectomy followed by 35 rads.  Recurence in 9 months as skin mets to mast. site. tx Carboplatin/Herceptin,  stayed on Herceptin every other week for almost 4 years only stopping when my ejection fraction would get too low. off herceptin & ned 3 years in 2010
Her Dotness

Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Friday, February 18, 2011 1:51 PM
Judy and Mary,

I swear, it was both the receptionist hubby talked to yesterday and then the whatever she is that you talk to who apparently decides what calls really need to go to the nurse that I talked to today. I was really bordering on rude to that woman. She gave me the same song and dance about I had the "whole weekend" and would probably feel fine by Monday. BULL!

I do feel lots better today but still can hardly talk. At least, the antibiotic is working to the point that my chest doesn't hurt when I cough.

Anyway, whoever this woman was, she finally said she'd have Nurse Kelly, the one the receptionist said I had to talk to today, call me back. We had a nice chat, and Kelly agreed that I sound very ill and undoubtedly have a bad cough. She would reschedule my chemo as I originally requested, two weeks from Monday. I said I certainly understand that some people find the first infusion so intolerable that they want to put off the next, but I DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT. I'm simply so beastly ill that I could not sit up long enough to do the infusion and do not want what white cells I have wiped out right now. I have a feeling they wouldn't welcome me sitting in the chemo room even with a mask on coughing like a barking dog. She said she'd talk with my med onc as they'd like to help me get well sooner. Fine by me.

Well, I can tell it's largely viral, so unless there's some miracle drug out there now that works on rhinoviruses, I'm doing all I can to get over this sooner.

I assured Kelly that I would be more than happy to talk with my med onc if she'd like to call me so that I can explain my anger at having my treatments delayed like this as well as how I'd welcome any suggestions she has for hastening my recovery. Damn! but I hate how medical people talk to you sometimes as if you're a little kid trying to weasel out of taking medicine. I think maybe I got it across to Kelly that that is NOT me and I thoroughly resent being treated that way. I even threatened to pull out and go to the other major cancer center in the metro if I get treated like this again.

Ya think they got the message maybe? 

This is really upsetting when previously everyone there has been so kind, thoughtful and helpful.
I learned something important, though. Should anything this serious happen again, I will simply call and demand a callback from my med onc herself. Screw messing with the little people in between.
Dot
<message edited by Her Dotness on Friday, February 18, 2011 1:58 PM>
dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
T1c, clean margins!
Arimidex 7/11-? 
Her Dotness

Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Friday, February 18, 2011 3:54 PM
Oh, lovely! I feel so very much better about all this.

My med onc called and asked if I'm feeling better, what symptoms, etc. I told her what all is happening, that the antibiotic has definitely helped, but I obviously still have not much voice and know myself well enough to be certain I've no business getting my next infusion on Monday.

She said she agrees completely with me, that I'm far too ill to do the next infusion yet.

Also, I told her that after the fact, I realized we'd made the next appointment only a little over two weeks after the first, so it was premature anyway. She said yes, indeed, and wondered how that occurred. It should have been on the 28th to start with, so how about the 28th?

I told her I was furious at how I was pooh-poohed as if they all knew better than I how ill I am and how long it takes me to recover from viral infections (she agrees it's largely viral). I said I'm equally furious at being so ill when I WANT TO GET THE CHEMO DONE!

She said we will certainly review what all occurred along with how I reacted to the first infusion, and be sure to call her if I start feeling worse again before the 28th so she can see if there's some other med to give me to get me over this junk faster.

As I said, I'm not bothering with the little people again if something this serious occurs. I'm calling and stating that I need to speak to my med onc whenever she can call me back.

I'm sure the underlings deal with people who act like big babies and take up doctors' time with trivial issues, but this was truly inexcusable when I clearly sound like I feel lousy.

Dot
dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
T1c, clean margins!
Arimidex 7/11-? 
JF

Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Friday, February 18, 2011 9:03 PM
Dot,
At least it sounds like you and your med onc are on the same page.  It sounds like she is pretty accessible so ya you should bypass the underlings - especially if they are rude - and go right to med onc.  Do you think you will be ok by 2/28?  That is nearly 10 days away ... maybe you can schedule it then and see how you are by the end of next week.  
So on a slight change of subject if you started on the 7th it sounds like your hair started to fall out earlier than I thought.  I made my razor appointment for day 13 and I will not be so good as you if I get a surprise fist full.  I am hoping I can get my hair shaved and get the wigs styled and on without actually having to look at my head until I am ready, and preferably alone.
You are totally on top of your situation and you know yourself and your body better than anyone (even Hubby) so keep following your instincts.
xoxo
Judy

Her Dotness

Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Friday, February 18, 2011 10:03 PM
Judy,

Yep, we sure are. She's so very compassionate, understanding and listens to what I say. I could tell she was almost laughing when I said I'm simply furious at the thought that this stupid flu might delay my chemo progress and that's part of why I was so angry at the underlings saying in now-now-dear tones that I could easily feel just fine by Monday as if I was merely dragging my feet about getting the next chemo.

She said she absolutely believes I'm made of sturdier stuff than that.

She is a lovely East Indian with a face to die for, a melodious voice--looks somewhat like Disney's Jasmine but a better proportioned face. And an excellent oncologist from what the nurses tell me.

XO's back atcha,
Dot 
dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
T1c, clean margins!
Arimidex 7/11-? 
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 13 of 28, messages 121 to 130 of 271

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll