Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Winter chemo ladies!
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 16 of 28, messages 151 to 160 of 271
marianwolf

• Total Posts : 209
  • Reward points : 8850
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Saturday, October 08, 2011 3:39 PM
Cindyann, Cristen, Dora, Sue K, Ronnie and Cheyrl -- I hope to meet each of you in person someday -- when we are on the other side (or at least, moving towards it) of chemo.  I've met and bonded with NotMe who lives in the area (Atlanta GA) and she's offered to bring by some eats, knowing what goes down easier.  

It's amazing how much good comes from something really bad, like cancer.  Good friends, reunited friends and most especially (for me) being reunited with my daughter and finding in her a warm, loving woman. I hope ya'll are having a wonderful weekend.

Marian 

DX June 20, 2011
IDC, E+P-, HER2-, Ki67 49%
Lumpectomy 7/26/11 & 8/23/11   
Lymph nodes clear!   
BRCA 1-/2-
Stage 1, Grade III 
Oncotype: 36%
Taxotere/Cytoxn 1 2 3 4 12/12/11
33 Rads completed 3/16/12
Start Arimidex 3/17/12    

[link=http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13515
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Saturday, October 08, 2011 3:56 PM
Marian,

I meant to say earlier on reading your post I can't imagine having a port placed without  anesthesia but glad you got through it okay.  I had a local for removing it which was fine but definatly needed the full sedation for insertion!!!:)  xx
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Saturday, October 08, 2011 4:56 PM>
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
RSBendy

• Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 1670
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Saturday, October 08, 2011 4:26 PM
Hi Ladies!
Completed my 3rd treatment on Friday and had my shot this afternoon. So far so good.  You find each round what works and what precautions to take the next time.
I saw an article about alternative medicines in this month's Readers Digest about a doctor from Memorial Sloane Kettering (NYC) recommending that taking a supplement called alpha lipoic acid (ALA) may help for the nerve damage effects such as pain, tingling and numbness.  I asked my oncologist about it and she had no objections.  I start Taxal week 5 and understand that numbness is a possible side effect. Figure it couldn't hurt.
Ronnie 
"A Pink Warrior"

Diagnosed - 6/7/11
DIEP Flap Procedure, Double Mastectomy - 7/19/11
BRCA I +
Left Breast - 7mm, 1 Sentinal Node - .9mm
Chemo - 
Adriamycin/Cytoxan 4X's every 2 weeks (followed by Neulasta)
1  2  3  4
Taxol 4X's every 2 weeks
5  6  7  8 DONE!
Hormone Therapy (Anastrozol) for 5 years st
Tricia Keegan

Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Saturday, October 08, 2011 5:05 PM
Hi Ronnie,

Glad you're getting through it slowly but surely and you were right to check with your onc first on any supplements and hope this helps you:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
SKalsta

• Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points : 3865
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Sunday, October 09, 2011 2:46 AM
Please tell me chemo gets better.  My first treatment and this is rough.  I mean really rough.  Day 4 for me was worse than any other day.  I was violantly sick all day.  I finally called the doctor at 6pm and asked him what to do.  The vomiting and nausea was more than I could handle.  The Zofran was giving me severe headaches that then caused more nausea.  Finally told me to take the Zofran, the Compazine, Dexamethasone (steroid I have on hand for and A/S flare-up), 2 extra strength tylenol.  That helped for about 6 hours.  And I just took it again.  We will see.  I know staying hydrated is important, but when nothing stays down - what do you do.  Been trying ice chips, popsicles and jello. 

Tell me it gets better and that they can regulate the meds to make it a little smoother.  Otherwise, I am not sure I can do this.  I have a high pain tolerance, but vomiting and nausea - not so much!

Sorry to be so down - but when you feel like this, you wonder.

Sue K
Invasive Ductal Carcinona
Diagnosed 7/1/2011
Stage III Grade 2
Tumor Size 6cm
2+/18 nodes
ER+/PR+
HER2 Negative
7/28/2011 - Right Modified Mastectomy w/ lymph nodes removed.  Left Prophylactic Mastectomy
Not a candidate for reconstructive surgery. 
Chemo 5 out 8 completed.
Radiation completed.
Lymphedema and scar tissue issues
Tricia Keegan

Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Sunday, October 09, 2011 7:11 AM
Sue,

Vomiting is never normal during chemo and while it may take some time to find the correct anti nausea meds for you keep asking to switch until they do!!

Also you may know this already but take them even if you don't need them as its easier to prevent nausea than stop once it begins.  The meds you mention worked well for me and although I felt queasy there was never vomiting.  I also just ate small snacks little and often which my onc said was fine and to eat whatever felt good and I could keep down.
Once you get the correct meds and take them as prescribed (even when feeling good) it really should get much easier for you. :)
Carepage- survivortricia
SKalsta

• Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points : 3865
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:45 PM
Here is an update - doing much better.  Getting stronger and stronger each day.  Little less fatigued, nausea almost gone.  Still taking the compazine but looks like the others can hold off a little.  Appetite is getting better.  Ate fried chicken (took off the breading).  But something about that tastes good to me.  Keeping up with the fluids.  So all in all, on an upward swing.  The weekend was a rough one though. 

Thanks for all the good wishes.

One question - anyone notices eyes having a hard time focusing?  I am near sighted and my glasses are too strong on and too weak off.  And up close (don't usually wear glasses to read) is weird.  Just had eyes checked in June and everything was fine until this week. 
<message edited by SKalsta on Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:47 PM>
Sue K
Invasive Ductal Carcinona
Diagnosed 7/1/2011
Stage III Grade 2
Tumor Size 6cm
2+/18 nodes
ER+/PR+
HER2 Negative
7/28/2011 - Right Modified Mastectomy w/ lymph nodes removed.  Left Prophylactic Mastectomy
Not a candidate for reconstructive surgery. 
Chemo 5 out 8 completed.
Radiation completed.
Lymphedema and scar tissue issues
Tricia Keegan

Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:41 PM
Yes Sue, this is a common issue with chemo and they recommend not changing your glasses until finished all meds!!!

My eye sight also got worse during and even after chemo!

Glad to read the nausea has settled down and just eat whatever you fancy at this stage and can keep down!
Carepage- survivortricia
marianwolf

• Total Posts : 209
  • Reward points : 8850
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:02 AM
Another update.  First treatment yesterday with only 3 more to go.
No problems yet.  Drinking 2 - 3 liters a day of water, that is.  Am going into the internist's and urgent care for my 4 days of neupogen.  I thought there was only one day of this.  Has anyone heard of 4 days in a row?

Anyway, I'm doing 2 loads of laundry to get it out of the way in case I get the nasties.  I'm taking the anti-nausea meds religiously and upped my dose of Imodium, just in case.

It's been a whirlwind so far and I don't know that I'm doing all that well with time management -- ok, I'm not -- the quality of my life however, is so much better.  I have tons of support, my family around me and I'm enjoying spending time with people I've not seen or heard from in ages.

Just a quick hello and the question above about neupogen shots as well as what do I expect from here?  I'm going to pack in as much errands and chores for today while I have no side effects going on.

Love and missed you all!  Marian

Marian 

DX June 20, 2011
IDC, E+P-, HER2-, Ki67 49%
Lumpectomy 7/26/11 & 8/23/11   
Lymph nodes clear!   
BRCA 1-/2-
Stage 1, Grade III 
Oncotype: 36%
Taxotere/Cytoxn 1 2 3 4 12/12/11
33 Rads completed 3/16/12
Start Arimidex 3/17/12    

[link=http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/
Tricia Keegan

Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:05 AM
Marian,

If you get the Neulasta shot as I did its given once 24 hours after chemo usually but Neupogen is for five days I thought but maybe they've changed the dosage to four!
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 16 of 28, messages 151 to 160 of 271

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll