Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Winter chemo ladies!
Change Page: << < ..2122232425262728 > | Showing page 23 of 28, messages 221 to 230 of 271
RSBendy

• Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 1670
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:36 PM
Hi Ladies - just checking in. Completed #2 of Taxol and #6 overall. Only 2 more treatments to go. Had a reaction during the initial 15 minutes this time around but after additional Benedryl, 30 minutes later was able to complete my treatment. Was a little scary though.  Took it easy this weekend so I wouldn't be too tired to go to work on Monday.  Am starting to experience the tingling in my feet but nothing too terrible.  I see the light at the end of tunnel with 2 more treatments to be completed before the end of the year. Have my date for my next surgery (2/16/12) which is the "tweaking of the girls" as I call it and ovary/tube removal. Truly looking forward to the holidays and the new year!
Wishing everyone a lovely Thanksgiving!
Ronnie 
"A Pink Warrior"

Diagnosed - 6/7/11
DIEP Flap Procedure, Double Mastectomy - 7/19/11
BRCA I +
Left Breast - 7mm, 1 Sentinal Node - .9mm
Chemo - 
Adriamycin/Cytoxan 4X's every 2 weeks (followed by Neulasta)
1  2  3  4
Taxol 4X's every 2 weeks
5  6  7  8 DONE!
Hormone Therapy (Anastrozol) for 5 years st
cindyanne56

• Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 4490
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, November 23, 2011 8:50 PM
sorry I haven't checked in in a while...still sorting through my husbands affairs trying to get all business changed into my name...I have one more Taxol treatment to go on the 29th....yippeeee!!!  Then radiation will start next month, then a PET scan....hopefully it will all be gone and I have a clean slate....The tingling in toes & feet has bothered me the most...and fatigue a couple of days after treatment...but other than that, I'm makin it...My tram flap reconstruction will start the 1st of June, so I'll be out of work 3 months to get through it.....Thank God I had life insurance on Jerry.. to see Maon & I through..and ss will come through for both of us ...God has been good to me through this difficult time...Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving....so glad A/C has been done with.....I'll be through with all treatments after rads....

Cindy A
Cindy Ankney Chatsworth,GA
marianwolf

• Total Posts : 209
  • Reward points : 8850
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Saturday, November 26, 2011 10:54 AM
Great news, Cindy!  Happy thanksgiving - it looks like you are finding thanks through this really difficult time...take as much of it as you need.

Blessings and prayers, Marian

Marian 

DX June 20, 2011
IDC, E+P-, HER2-, Ki67 49%
Lumpectomy 7/26/11 & 8/23/11   
Lymph nodes clear!   
BRCA 1-/2-
Stage 1, Grade III 
Oncotype: 36%
Taxotere/Cytoxn 1 2 3 4 12/12/11
33 Rads completed 3/16/12
Start Arimidex 3/17/12    

[link=http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/
diane squirlz

• Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 2105
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, November 28, 2011 7:18 AM
this thanksgiving i am thankful for my doctor that found my lump and that there IS a treatment (as hellish as it is), and for my family and friends that have been so supportive.
it's
been awhile since i've checked in as well.  i am 3/4 of the way through chemo!  go me!

congrats, cindy!  and ronnie, it seems you and i are on the same track at this point.

today will be my third of four taxol treatments (a/c is in the past, thank God).  i've had some peripheral neuropathy as well.  started in my toes, but that quit.  now it's lingering in my right thumb and index fingers.  my oncologist suggested something that worked for it....unfortunately it's not cheap (i need to do more price shopping though).....GlutaSolve 30mg/qd five days post chemo helped.  today i need to get the info on glutamine again ~ i lost the one they gave me at the beginning of tx so i can find a product that is more affordable.

another 'fun' aspect of chemo i've been dealing with:  being thrown into menopause.  living in wisconsin i go from being frozen to the core to being on fire (and back again) in the blink of an eye.  bleh
Dx'd IDC 5/14/11  age 47 
ER/PR+  HER2/neu -   BRCA -       
Double Mastectomy w/ reconstruction 7/8/11 (hbot x 10)\Right Lymphectomy 7/15/11    2 of 25 nodes +
Stage IIB 
Sx 8/17/11 infection, right (hbot x 12)
Chemo:  A/C followed Taxol (8/15-12/12/11) 
More surgery approx 3/1/12 
Radiation afterwards, tamo
teresamnj

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, November 28, 2011 9:01 AM
Hi everyone!  New here.  Went to my gyn in September due to needing a mammo, plus I  had a weird flaky spot of skin on my left nipple.  Gyn told me I needed a mammo, obviously, and to see a breast surgeon.  Say what???  I hadn't even had the mammo yet.  Hubby said gyn just CHA (covering you know what).  Had mammo following week, tech said wait, came back in room, need to repeat with smaller paddles on more localized area.  Uh oh.  Next, wait.  Now need ultra sound right now.  Double uh oh.  Tech going over and over same spot.  I'm laying on table praying.  Tech leaves room.  I'm trying to decipher image on screen.  Tech comes back, says get dressed, radiologist needs to talk to you.  Yikes!

Radiologist very nice.  Points to area of films that looks like large constellation of stars.  Lots of little white dots.  He says prob will need lumpectomy, plus go see breast surgeon.  I'm like "who"?  He doesn't want to say.  Says go ask gyn.  I say I barely know her, first time to her office, had total hyster eleven years ago, haven't been to gyn in almost that long.  I press him.  Ask him who he would send his mother/sister/wife/daughter to.  He gives me a name.  I go out to parking lot, and call.  Miraculously, they had a cancellation next day.  I take it.  Go with films in hand.

Breast surgeon very, very sweet.  Looks at films.  Says most likely DCIS.  Does biopsy then and there in procedure room.  Tells me very large area, will need mastectomy, nipple involved, Paget's disease, but 99% sure no further treatment, if sentinal node biopsy negative.

Breast surgeon calls me following week.  Yes, biopsy shows DCIS.   She's 99% sure no further treatment.  Yippee!!!  Everyone thinks I'm handling it amazingly well, having to have mastectomy.  I'm thrilled no further treatment.  Left mastectomy with immediate reconstruction done on October 11th.  Sentinal node biopsy negative.  Hurrah!!!  Breast surgeon tells hubby she's 99% sure no further treatment, but of course, we need to wait for pathology.

Almost four weeks go by, finally go for post-op visit.  Bomb drops.  Breast surgeon says so sorry, area of invasive cancer found, a little over a centimeter, poorly defined borders, ER neg, Her2 pos, you need chemo.  Say what???  Hubby & I think we are in a dream.  We leave, in a daze, sitting in his truck, looking at each other like what the hell just happened? 

Meet oncologist following week.  Need six rounds of TCH (taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin), one every three weeks, with Herceptin for a year.  Port placed on Nov 21st, first chemo Nov 22nd, Neulasta injection Nov 23rd, Happy Thanksgiving to me.

Six days post 1st chemo, and I'm soooo tired.  Feel like truck hit me.  Actually felt pretty good first three days, just very tired, in bed by 7:30, which is NOT normal for me.  Fourth night up till 8:30, woo hoo!!!  Had to use ativan the second, third and fourth nights, as felt very agitated and anxious.  Saturday was a good day.  Sunday I don't know what hit me, became anxious in afternoon, heart beating fast, lightheaded.  Maybe dehydrated a little?  Eating a lot of salty things, as everything tastes like crap.  Also took Miralax Friday & Saturday night for constipation.  Colace, fruit, & green vegs doing squat.  Made sure to drink extra water all afternoon and evening.  This morning don't feel too bad, but still very, very tired.  This freaks me out.  I'm use to going, going, going.  What makes me more nervous is that I felt better days three and four post chemo,why do I feel worse days five and six? 

Changed centers I'm having chemo at, same group, but one that is closer, so couldn't get appt until Wednesday, which is one week and one day post chemo, for herceptin treatment.  Anxious for labs to be done to see if my counts are okay. 
mary l

• Total Posts : 1618
  • Reward points : 4355
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, November 28, 2011 12:19 PM
So glad to hear from you, Cindy & Ronnie.  It sounds like you are doing well.  I am still so sad for you, Cindy but I am glad that you are working through this.

Theresa, I am so sorry that you have been diag. with breast cancer.  I am glad that you found this site and I know you will be hearing from many women who have been where you are right now.  I had a hard time with Taxotere as it affected my heart.  I only had 2 doses of that.  Carboplatin didn't make me sick but it made my bones hurt and it also can cause neruopathy in your feet and hands.  Herceptin really has minimal side effects and non of them are really bad.  I have heard others say that they got sick later in the week after chemo.  I was sick the firsr 3 days.  Usually by day 4 I was up and doing well.   Take your antinausea medication before you get sick and stay on it until you are sure you fell ok.  I hate chemo but it is do-able and it does kill the cancer.  I am an 8 year survivor and the chemo saved my life.  My cancer recurred in 9 months after diag.  My onc put me on 4 doses of Carboplatin and Herceptin.  I stayed on the Herceptin for over 4 years.  I have remained cancer free for 4 years this past Oct.

I wish you the very best as you go through your treatment.  You can do it!!!       Mary L   Pals

Diag. Oct 2003 with 6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, Inflammatory Breast Cancer stage IIIB, Her2+++.   I had A/C followed by Taxotere (only had 2tx as I had heart problems from it); Left Mastectomy followed by 35 rads.  Recurence in 9 months as skin mets to mast. site. tx Carboplatin/Herceptin,  stayed on Herceptin every other week for almost 4 years only stopping when my ejection fraction would get too low. off herceptin & ned 3 years in 2010
SKalsta

• Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points : 3865
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, November 28, 2011 4:01 PM
Teresa - it is not uncommon to feel good after chemo and like a truck ran over you a few days later. I attribute the feeling good to the steroids that they give you before chemo. And that the chemo takes a little while to do the damage of the good stuff but the good of the bad stuff. Someone described chemo and a poisonous cure. Great way to put it. Sounds like you had a whirlwind of a time. So sorry that you are diagnosed. But this is a great site. I start Taxol this week. Hoping for less side effects than the A/C. That stuff was rough.
Sue K
Invasive Ductal Carcinona
Diagnosed 7/1/2011
Stage III Grade 2
Tumor Size 6cm
2+/18 nodes
ER+/PR+
HER2 Negative
7/28/2011 - Right Modified Mastectomy w/ lymph nodes removed.  Left Prophylactic Mastectomy
Not a candidate for reconstructive surgery. 
Chemo 5 out 8 completed.
Radiation completed.
Lymphedema and scar tissue issues
RSBendy

• Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 1670
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Sunday, December 04, 2011 1:14 PM
Hi Ladies - checking in again.  Completed #7 end of last week.  Made it thru the critical first 15 minutes but had a reaction at the 1.5 hour mark.  Started having trouble breathing.  Taxol was shut off and meds to offset reaction were pushed.  Waited about 1/2 hour and finished my treatment.  I was calm as I reacted quickly and by now knew what to expect.  At this point, with one more treatment to go, I'm willing to put up with anything. Can't wait to not have to use steroids.  It sounds so trivial but I'm frustrated by the weight I've put on since starting chemo - yes, I said put on. Damn steriods make you want to eat EVERYTHING.  With chemo being over before the end of the year, will make getting back in shape a New Year's resolution. Can't wait to start running again!
Ronnie 
"A Pink Warrior"

Diagnosed - 6/7/11
DIEP Flap Procedure, Double Mastectomy - 7/19/11
BRCA I +
Left Breast - 7mm, 1 Sentinal Node - .9mm
Chemo - 
Adriamycin/Cytoxan 4X's every 2 weeks (followed by Neulasta)
1  2  3  4
Taxol 4X's every 2 weeks
5  6  7  8 DONE!
Hormone Therapy (Anastrozol) for 5 years st
smarti

• Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points : 9860
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, December 05, 2011 1:04 PM
Went for my second dose of taxotere and cyntoxan on 11-28-11. Diffidently not as bad as the first go around, the wonderful oncology nurse Grant gave me 2 different nausea meds during the infusion and then called my oncologist to prescribe me another nausea med called ativan. Worked great! I did start getting nauseated Sunday and today so might have to take the ativan again. 2 down 2 to go.
Sherry
8/11/2011 diagnosed right breast
PR+ER+HER2-
BRAC 1 & 2 negative
Onco Score 18 trace in 1 node
9/13/11 Double Mastectomy Nipple Sparing skin sparing DIEP FLAP reconstruction
11/7/11 4 rounds of Taxotere and Cytoxan I'M DONE!!
started Tamoxifen 1/28/2012
Stage 2 surgery 3/6/2012 DONE!!
smarti

• Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points : 9860
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, December 12, 2011 11:46 AM
Ok had great weekend, (yes I'm being sarcastic)had to go to the er, blood in urine and passing small blood clots. Go figure I would get my first ever urinary tract infection during chemo!!! The antibiotic they had me on causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and a bad taste like I'm not getting enough of that with the Taxotere, Cytoxan and the Neulasta shot.
Sherry
8/11/2011 diagnosed right breast
PR+ER+HER2-
BRAC 1 & 2 negative
Onco Score 18 trace in 1 node
9/13/11 Double Mastectomy Nipple Sparing skin sparing DIEP FLAP reconstruction
11/7/11 4 rounds of Taxotere and Cytoxan I'M DONE!!
started Tamoxifen 1/28/2012
Stage 2 surgery 3/6/2012 DONE!!
Change Page: << < ..2122232425262728 > | Showing page 23 of 28, messages 221 to 230 of 271

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll