Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Winter chemo ladies!
Change Page: << < ..2122232425262728 > | Showing page 27 of 28, messages 261 to 270 of 271
Her Dotness

• Total Posts : 564
  • Reward points : 4525
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Sunday, December 09, 2012 3:29 PM
Kittensmama, those were the chemo drugs I had, and I really didn't have a bad time of it all in all. Every side effect I had was pretty easily managed. I wish you the same. 

In fact, I really appreciated my meds onc's instructions that if I found myself craving any particular food, I should eat that even if it wasn't a balanced meal. Not something to do consistently, of course, but if my body said it reallly needed something, then give it what it wanted.

As a result, I had a couple of lunches that were nothing but chocolate. I'm here to tell ya that a Heath bar, a Milky Way and a Butterfinger make a pretty tasty lunch. I felt like a naughty little kid sneaking into the candy jar, but I really did feel better both physically and mentally after eating like that.

When I told my doctor about my unusual lunch, she laughed and said that she's heard other similar stories. She said with a smile that she thinks chocolate is definitely therapeutic but that seriously, sometimes it really is advisable to yield to such cravings because there may be some physical need that's met when we do.
dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
1/5/11 lumpectomy, SLND 2+, ALND - 
T1c, clean margins!
er +/pr + (My little nasty was an estrogen drunk, said my med onc.) HER2 -
Chemo: TC Done 4/30/11 
Rads:  Done 6/30/11 
Arimidex 7/11-? 
michelecuddy@gmail.com

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 790
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Sunday, December 09, 2012 3:57 PM
Hi,
Started Chemo Nov 16th.  I just finished my 2nd round of AC with Zometa for my bones.  So far so good,  lost my hair this past week.  I thought it was going to be more devastating than it was. After 4 rounds of AC I will switch to Taxol for 4 rounds.  I am hoping I continue to feel well.  Love to hear from those going through it now.

PS How do I switch my user name.  Everything I see just show me to change my password?
2008 dx DCIS  bilateral masectomy
2012 dx Stage IV Bone Mets  currently on AC and Zometa
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, December 10, 2012 10:39 AM
Hi Michele and I found Taxol to be the more easily tolerated of the a/c and it but we're all different of course and I'm glad you're coping so far. This thread has become quiet these days but if you don't get many answers here feel free to post on the sound off forum which gets the most traffic. Re your name change, I was about to advise you to change it rather than display your e mail address, and think this has to be done via Komen Admin....If you have a general question about the features in the Komen Message Boards, please research our most frequently asked questions here: http://apps.komen.org/Forums/faq.aspx. If you have any questions that cannot be answered in this document, please email komenforums@komen.org or send a Private Message to Komen Admin. Hope this helps!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Wintersmom

• Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 2570
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:21 AM
Hi Tricia, thanks so much this site is amazing
Hi Michelle, It looks like I am about a month behind you. I think doing this all in the Winter months seems perfect with all of the hats and scarves out there. Did I mention my daughter is adopted from China and her name is Winter... concidence ?
Her Dotness

• Total Posts : 564
  • Reward points : 4525
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:45 AM
I found doing chemo in the winter pretty tolerable since it was cold enough that the silk scarf and knit hat I wore at first would have been too warm in late spring or summer. 

Be sure to get some nightcaps if you haven't and hadn't thought to do that. I was amazed at how much colder I felt in bed even though we have an electric blanket. I didn't realize how very much insulation my hair provided until I hadn't any!
dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
1/5/11 lumpectomy, SLND 2+, ALND - 
T1c, clean margins!
er +/pr + (My little nasty was an estrogen drunk, said my med onc.) HER2 -
Chemo: TC Done 4/30/11 
Rads:  Done 6/30/11 
Arimidex 7/11-? 
Danielsjulie

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, December 30, 2013 6:18 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Julie. Newly diagnosed with breast cancer. I forget all the terminology they use for everything. I am 41 and found out about all this craziness over Thanksgiving. It has totally blown my mind with emotions. I've had two biopsies so far. The original one and the one on my lymph nodes and the port was just put in the Monday before Christmas. On Jan 7th I start the first of 7 rounds of chemo. Then the double mastectomy with reconstructive surgery. I think of it as my boob job and tummy tuck I have earned and is my light at the end of this dark tunnel. Needless to say all of this has made me a nervous wreck. I'm a planner, mother of three and work a full time job. I don't know how to plan for anything with this. It's driving me crazy. Can any of you help?  
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, December 30, 2013 8:42 PM
Hi Julie and welcome,

Please check the chemo forum as it'll give you lots of advice should you need it, its all do able and we're all here to help you get through it.!Pals
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
suz777

• Total Posts : 793
  • Reward points : 7575
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, January 01, 2014 10:28 AM
Hang in there ladies! I was a winter chemo gal in 2009....4 rounds of taxotere/cytoxan...(Jan - April) went from long hair to bald. But took control of it along the way...chopping my bangs first and experimenting with 'new' hairstyles so I'd know what options I may have upon its regrowth. I found it liberating actually. While my long hair has returned after a fun curly stage, I wear it in layers and get tons of compliments on it. I wore wigs, 'hats with hair' wore scarves and also went bald a lot. Sounds crazy, but I learned to have some fun with it! While I had nausea, thankfully I never threw up. Sadly I gained weight due to eating carbs to keep the nausea at bay and my onco told me she didnt want me to lose weight on chemo (even tho I was overweight to begin with). I do disagree with her take on it now (and later learned she wasnt a great oncologist...always get a second opinion!) I have a really good one now. I hope you all have an improved 2014! Suzanne PS - I cant figure out how to change my photo. This one is actually during chemo...about halfway through...I'd already begun cutting my hair from long to shorter.
<message edited by suz777 on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 10:31 AM>
10/3/6 DX 1.1cm IDC +DCIS
Lumpectomy 10/26/6; SNB clear; ER/PR+; HER2neu-
Radiation/Mammosite 11/6-11/10/6
Alternative IV vitamin C infusions for over 1 yr
10/22/8-Bone mets to spine/sacrum@L5/S1&2,  fracture S1&S2
22 rads 11/24-12/24/8; 4 T/C chemo 1/22/9-3/26/9
BRCA1&2 neg
Monthly Zometa started 4/30/9
Femara 5/15/9; OOPH 6/26/09
5/2010: 12+ new spinal mets; swapped F
JK1083

• Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 1315
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Sunday, January 11, 2015 6:43 AM
Wishing you the best as you start treatment. Take it one day at a time. Let people help you. Even the smallest acts of kindness help to keep you positive. Sometimes the mental part is the hardest. I am SO HAPPY to be done with treatment, I could not see this day when I was in the middle of it.
Dx April 2014: Stage II; grade 3; Chemotherapy,radiation, tamoxifen
rinnnatajacc14

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:12 AM
Hi,
These posts provide me valuable information on health issues. I don’t have any knowledge about this topic. You should contact the expert. I am sorry for that.
……………………………………………….
WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION
Change Page: << < ..2122232425262728 > | Showing page 27 of 28, messages 261 to 270 of 271

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll