Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Winter chemo ladies!
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 5 of 28, messages 41 to 50 of 271
dap1961

• Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 4165
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:58 PM
HI Bekka (Tuesday chemo buddy!)...well, today was my hair day too...I got out of the shower and couldn't even get my hair pick through it and it was in clumps like a ratted mess!  I cried as I kept pulling it out and throwing it in the trash can.  It just makes me so sad, but I guess you know the chemo is doing it's job and killing those little cancer critters!!!  I made an appointment with my hairdresser for Thursday morning at 9:00 to do my hair...she said she has never had a request to shave a woman's head due to chemo...but bless her heart, she is more than happy to do it!  She is also going to style the wig so it is ready to go! I guess I will wear it for the first time at my 15 year old son's football banquet on Saturday...a good day to test it out!  
Bekka

• Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 400
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 11:16 AM
Well hair is gone and the truth I thought I was going to cry...but I didnt I was happy not to deal with all the mess :) I look soooo much like my dad and brother when they have bald heads hahaha
To all the ladies that are going thru hairloss....its just hair and it grows back better then ever....just remember it grows back and your more then just hair :) stay strong and we are all here for you!!
Diagnosis: 8/15/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 3/3 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2+

TC every 3 weeks for 6 sessions

Take everyday as a step closer to the finish line and the start of your new life <3
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:09 PM
Congrats for being so brave Bekka and yes, we're far more than our hair and it does pass:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Reading Mama

• Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points : 1060
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:04 PM
Yes, I had my husband buzz my hair at the first sign of it coming out, I didn't want that experience of it falling out for days.  He just buzzed it so then I did have a week of really short hair falling out, my sleep cap had to be washed every day for a week!  Now my kids are more used to me in a hat than the wig as I usually wear the hat if I'm not going out!

Tricia, can you (or anyone else) tell me more about Taxol side effects?  Finished the AC(!) and start Taxol on Tuesday.  Having some dread of the unknown, even though AC was tough, after the first time it at least settled into a fairly predictable routine.

Did you feel much bone and joint pain?  And it is delayed like AC or right away?  Did it last the whole two weeks between treatments? 
8/4/10 found lump, 8/13 mammo&us, 8/31 biopsy
9/7/10 dx@ age 43 -  IDC - 2cm (4.6cm on MRI!), ER/PR--, HER2+, Grade 2, Likely Stage IIIa.  BRCA negative!
Neoadjuvant chemo - AC-dose dense, 10/10, 4tx - DONE!
Taxol - dose dense - 4tx - 12/10 - DONE!
Lumpectomy & ALND - 02/16/11 (No cancer left!)
Rads x34 - start April 2010
Herceptin for 1 year - started 12/7/10
Northern NJ, mom to dd(11) and ds(7)
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Friday, December 03, 2010 5:03 AM
Hi Reading Mama,

I had the taxol at a lower weekly dose with herceptin rather than the dose dense every two weeks so did'nt suffer the bone pain many people complain of but did have a little.
I found taxol to be so easy to tolerate after the a/c and side effects were minimal for me.  I did get some neuropathy after a few weeks (tingling and numbness in feet and fingers) but it did'nt last too long.

Side effects if any, were usually after a few days of getting the infusion, I also lost a couple of nails so keeping them short is a good idea.   The first infusion is given a lot slower so allow more time for that, but I needed no anti nausea meds or neulasta and my hair grew back!:)

I hope someone who had the DD can give you an idea of what it was like for them, anyone I know who had the bone pain said it was easily managed with pain meds though so good luck!

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Chemotherapy/Individualdrugs/Paclitaxel.aspx
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Friday, December 03, 2010 5:07 AM>
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Bekka

Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Friday, December 03, 2010 11:02 PM
Reading Mama Im on Taxtol and my bad day was 3 days after chemo...it felt like the flu where everything is sore and hurts....it lasted for 2 days and was gone my onco said it gets better with each time you do treatment...I hope you get thru this *hugs* 

Take everyday as a step closer to the finish line and the start of your new life <3
Reading Mama

• Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points : 1060
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Sunday, December 05, 2010 7:55 PM
Thanks Tricia and Bekka (I'm a Tuesday chemo lady also!).  Its funny how with AC, everyone I've seen has had 4 sessions, but with Taxol it seems very varied, from my 4 to Bekka's 6 to Tricia's 12...

I am taking Herceptin also, along with the Taxol, although the Herceptin is every 3 weeks.

We'll see this week.  Good luck to all of us on Tuesday!
8/4/10 found lump, 8/13 mammo&us, 8/31 biopsy
9/7/10 dx@ age 43 -  IDC - 2cm (4.6cm on MRI!), ER/PR--, HER2+, Grade 2, Likely Stage IIIa.  BRCA negative!
Neoadjuvant chemo - AC-dose dense, 10/10, 4tx - DONE!
Taxol - dose dense - 4tx - 12/10 - DONE!
Lumpectomy & ALND - 02/16/11 (No cancer left!)
Rads x34 - start April 2010
Herceptin for 1 year - started 12/7/10
Northern NJ, mom to dd(11) and ds(7)
Bekka

Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, December 06, 2010 3:18 PM
Are all my Tuesday ladies ready??? I just wanted to check in with you all and make sure your in hugh spirts...we can get thru this girls!!!! #5 tomorrow only 4 more to go whhhhooooooo!!!!

Bekka

Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, December 06, 2010 3:20 PM
Oh and Im suppose to be taking Herceptain also but found out I have heartfailure on my left side...went to the doctors today and they said maybe down the line I would be able to take it keeping my fingers crossed :)

dap1961

• Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 4165
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, December 06, 2010 3:32 PM
Hey, Tuesday chemo ladies...ready, set, go!  I have not heard anything about taking Herceptian for myself....I will be on round two tomorrow and then will have two sessions left...the halfway point for me!! That calls for a McDonald's Caramel Frappe' afterwards!!! I find that it's the "little treats" to myself that help me get through this sometimes!!!  Good lucky everyone!  We have each other!!!!
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 5 of 28, messages 41 to 50 of 271

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message