Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Winter chemo ladies!
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 8 of 28, messages 71 to 80 of 271
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:42 PM
Thats great news Dap, good luck with this one and roll on the last, and a healthier 2011!!!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Reading Mama

• Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points : 1060
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:50 PM
Hi Cindy, I did not have TC, but can help answer some of your other questions.

- I've been working from home a lot, so have not been out too much.  But usually wear my wig with earmuffs.  But I was not a hat person before this either.  I like headcovers.com and hatsforyou.net

- I would highly recommend the Feel Good Look Better program.  You get a ton of free stuff, learn how to put in on (learn how to draw eyebrows...in case you need that) and in my case meet a women from the next town in a similiar situation, who I now e-mail with.

- Have not attended a support group myself yet.  Seemed too much to look into in the beginning.  I also have young kids (11 and 7) and wanted to find one for them, but haven't done that yet either....  Still on my list.

Good luck with the start of your treatments.
8/4/10 found lump, 8/13 mammo&us, 8/31 biopsy
9/7/10 dx@ age 43 -  IDC - 2cm (4.6cm on MRI!), ER/PR--, HER2+, Grade 2, Likely Stage IIIa.  BRCA negative!
Neoadjuvant chemo - AC-dose dense, 10/10, 4tx - DONE!
Taxol - dose dense - 4tx - 12/10 - DONE!
Lumpectomy & ALND - 02/16/11 (No cancer left!)
Rads x34 - start April 2010
Herceptin for 1 year - started 12/7/10
Northern NJ, mom to dd(11) and ds(7)
magsunc

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 495
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:19 PM
Hello everyone...I am new to this forum and new to cancer.  I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in late November, shortly after my 36th birthday (nice birthday present, huh?).  It came as quite a shock and I still can't believe this is all happening.  I started chemo (TAC, every 3 weeks, 6 cycles) on Dec. 20...getting ready for my second treatment this Monday.  My hair started falling out a few days ago which has been quite depressing.  I realize my hair should be the least of my concerns right now, but I just can't help it.... 
Tricia Keegan

Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:36 PM
Hi and welcome to the winter chemo ladies forum, sorry you have to join us here though.

I think the hair loss is the biggest emotional upset for all of us, it was for me too but I do remember getting used to the bald me after a few weeks!  I thought I'd never complain about my hair again lol but you do forget and just today I was moaning that I need a hair cut:)    Hang in there because it does pass and it's so exciting seeing it grow in again....although could'nt wait to colour mine as it came back white/grey and curly!
I did find a warm sleep cap very helpful though as did chemo during winter too. 
Good luck with the next treatment and keep us posted!!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
dap1961

• Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 4165
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:20 PM
Hello Winter chemo ladies!  I am counting down the days to my last chemo on January 18th!  But I do have a question about my bald scalp!
I was looking at it tonight and it looks like I have cradle cap!  It is very dry and flaky and is grossing me out! I do still have a few hairs that are hanging on for dear life, but seems like the flakes got worse the more I used a comb on it to try and get the flakes off!  Is there a certain shampoo you need to use on your scalp while in the shower?? Should I put a conditioner on it??  Am I not "giving it enough air", as I generally have a ballcap on around the house, a wig when I go out and a cap at night because it gets cold...help!  This look reminds me of when my boys were little and got cradle cap!  UGH!
Tricia Keegan

Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:22 PM
Hi Dap- I've been away for a few days so only just seeing your question now.  I did'nt have this myself but think I remember someone suggesting a baby shampoo or cradle cap cream for it, it's gentle enough to not irritate your scalp.
Maybe try posting on sound off where others may see your question that had this too and good luck again for the 18th!!!
Carepage- survivortricia
magsunc

Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:12 PM
Just had my second (of 6) TAC treatment yesterday.  Since I started treatment my appetite has completely changed.  Nothing sounds appetizing.  The only foods that sound good are thigs like bread, rice, potatoes.  I'm afraid I'm not getting enough protein.  Anyone else have problems like this?  Any suggestions?
Tricia Keegan

Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:11 AM
Hi Magsunc- many of us had appetite changes during chemo and it's usually followed by a strong mettalic taste in your mouth which is unpleasant but temporary.

My Onc always said just to eat what I felt like while doing chemo but if you're concerned there maybe a dietician at your chemo centre that could advise you.  Many people try some health/vitamin drinks if they don't feel like a full meal.  I lived on small  sandwiches, soups and fruit during my chemo and although I lost weight I soon put it back again when finished lol:)
Carepage- survivortricia
magsunc

Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:44 AM
Tricia-
Thanks for the advice!  These message boards are great!
Maggie

Tricia Keegan

Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:51 AM
You're welcome Maggie but forgot to mention grapefruit is a no no during chemo as it can interfere with the absorbtion of the drug!!
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 8 of 28, messages 71 to 80 of 271

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages