Winter chemo ladies!

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 2 of 14, messages 21 to 40 of 271
dap1961
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 4165
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:13 PM
Hi...last night, i had some night sweats, but nurse said this may be due to the steroids, which i finished last night....She said days 3-5 will be the icky days...have still felt pretty good today.  The tiredness will probably hit me tomorrow!  Maybe I should be feeling good by Thanksgiving!

Reading Mama
  • Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points : 1060
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Friday, November 19, 2010 12:22 PM
Hi. Had 3rd treatment of AC on 11/9 so almost time to go back again for last AC.  I did not get any mouth sores the 1st two times, but had some very tiny ones pop up two days ago.   Any advice on best way to get rid of them????  I admit I slacked off on the salt water rinse (and was only doing it at most 2x/day before that), so have stepped that up again, which seems to help.  Yesterday, they did not seem to be there in the morning, but were there again by nighttime.  Any advice would be appreciated in case the salt water rinses do not do the trick. 
8/4/10 found lump, 8/13 mammo&us, 8/31 biopsy
9/7/10 dx@ age 43 -  IDC - 2cm (4.6cm on MRI!), ER/PR--, HER2+, Grade 2, Likely Stage IIIa.  BRCA negative!
Neoadjuvant chemo - AC-dose dense, 10/10, 4tx - DONE!
Taxol - dose dense - 4tx - 12/10 - DONE!
Lumpectomy & ALND - 02/16/11 (No cancer left!)
Rads x34 - start April 2010
Herceptin for 1 year - started 12/7/10
Northern NJ, mom to dd(11) and ds(7)

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Friday, November 19, 2010 5:02 PM
Reading Mama, my onc prescrbed Nystatin which helped but do keep up with the rinses as it does help!

Dap, I had dreadful night sweats and would have to get up and change the bed clothes and my own etc...it'll settle down but is definatly from the steroids sadly:(
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

dap1961
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:48 AM
Hello Bekka!  How are you doing day 4??? It really hit me yesterday with the tiredness and achiness!  Just wondering how you were feeling..thinking of you!  DEBBIE IN KC

LaudyLo
  • Total Posts : 679
  • Reward points : 1160
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, November 22, 2010 7:54 AM
Hi girlfriends:-) Just wanted to say a hay-lo to you all!! I began my chemo last Fall/winter, this time last year I had one down and was doing my second one this week!!!!! Love to you all, this to shall pass....so, get r done XOXO!
Laurie/S.Fl.
DX@ age: 46 on 8/17/09
IDC Stage 1, Grade 3, Node Neg. Hert2-
Lumpectomy R.B. 1.08 CM.  Er+ & PR+
Onca score:  "24"          BRCA-Negitive!
Chemo-(8) C.M.F...   DONE final 3/17/10
Rads x 36..............   DONE final 6/04/10
1200 UI Vitamin D    & Tamoxifen 5 yrs.

dap1961
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, November 22, 2010 9:09 PM
Hi Winter ladies!  My first chemo was last Tuesday...it hit me on Thursday or Friday and felt icky all day Friday and Saturday...by yesterday, it was  a little better and today I feel fine...I am dealing with some major constipation though....AND wouldn't you know I started my period about a week early on Friday!!!!  My system is very messed up!  For the most part, my taste buds are still a little funky and eating better than I did over the weekend. I did not have the nausea (thank goodness), but certain things just didn't sound good...even my weekly Starbucks!!! Bekka, how are you doing??? I have been thinking about you Tuesday chemo buddy!  Let us hear from you!  Debbie in KC

Pamiam
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 1145
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:38 PM
Hi Ladies, My name is Pam.  I too am a winter chemo lady!  I am possibly going to start tomorrow.  12 weeks of Abraxane, then 6 weeks of rads.
I was dx'd in August with triple negative DCIS that also has some qualities of being invasive.  Don'k know the exact term! It was staged as IC, the tumor was small (1.7 cm) but aggressive 8-9 on the scale.
I had a mastectomy within a couple of weeks, in fact it was the monday after my 3 day Walk for the Cure, that I had been planning for 9 months!  That all went well. They took the Sentinal node and it was clear--whew!!:)
Then I had my PET scan which showed some activity in my pelvis and my spine/thoracic area.  Pelvic u/s revealed dermoid cysts on both ovaries so I had a hysterectomy-all benign findings!!
Then I had the bx of the "lesion" in my chest-also benign!!  Yay!!
Now, I can finally get started with chemo.  I had my port put in last week and I am ready to roll and kick some cancer ass!!!
I am not new to this unfortunately.  15 years ago when I was 28 and 4 months pregnant I was diagnosed with Inflammatory bc. As usual with that type, I was mis-diagnosed with mastitis for a month and treated with antibiotics. Long story short, I had 3 rounds of A/C, cytoxan and 5FU while pregnant.  Then a mastectomy and c-section (at the same time), 3 more rounds of chemo.  Was exited to get Taxol (the wonder drug at the time) and had an anafalactic reaction to it so I couldn't proceed.  The next step was mobilization for a stem cell tx.  2 doses of high dose Cytoxan then apheresis.  Unfortunately after a month of trying, I was unable to produce enough stem cells to proceed. Then, 6 weeks of radiation.  All clear for 15 years!!!!  I have a wonderful 15 year old son, named Chance, who is a blessing to our lives and an 18 year old son who is growing up too fast!!
Anyway, long story !!  Sorry!  It has been determined that this is a new bc, and not a recurrence which I guess is "good".  I caught it early by self exam. It just grew very fast.
My question is: anyone out there have Abraxane?  I am told it was the "carrier" in the Taxol that I was allergic to and not the drug itself, so I'm a little worried I'll have another reaction but I've been told I most likely won't since it's "delivered" or "carried" in a different substance these days.
I am just wondering about nausea, aching, energy levels ect... on this chemo.  Any input or suggestions would help!  I worked during my last bc treatment and felt fine.  I would really like to keep exercising too, any thoughts on that?  And what about the occasional glass of red wine!?
Thanks for listening to my story and my babbling!
It is wonderful to have this website and all you ladies to "talk" with as the "internet" wasn't around when I went through this before!!!  Remember that?  Weird!
Thansk,
Pam
io Washington state

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:34 PM
Hi Pam,

I was told a drink was fine, but not the night before or after chemo!   Abraxane is usual for stage iv as a treatment, I had taxol and found it very tolerable after the a/c, not great as it has its own side effects but easier than what I had before.

I did'nt need anti nausea drugs on this or neulasta to boost my WCC, my hair grew back too! I hope you do well on it, are you her-

I'm so glad you joined us and look forward to chatting more, I think as regards to exercise, if you feel able to do it then go for it!   Most of the Taxane drugs are tolerable and I hope you do well on this and please keep us posted:)
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:38 PM>
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

Reading Mama
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:57 PM
Thanks Tricia, once again!  The salt water rinses were enough to get rid of them luckily and  I will be more viligent about doing them now.  Got the last AC today, so am at the start of the end of the 1st half of chemo!!!  Just have to deal with the 2 weeks of side effects.

But, in looking ahead to next time, can anyone tell me more about the side effects for Taxol?  I know every one is different, but the "normal" side effects.  Also is there a delay, like AC?

If it helps, my main side effects with AC were nausea (both immediate and delayed, 4/5 days of the following week too), and the fatigue on day 3, 4 & 5.  The bone pain from Nuelasta (do you get that with Taxol, I forgot to ask), is there, but not as bad as I expected.

Also, Tricia, as you suspected, they will start giving me the Herceptin in 2 weeks with my first Taxol.  I'm a lilttle surprised b/c I'm doing the neo-adjuvant chemo so still need surgery.  But the Herceptin will be every 3 weeks and she said they would work the surgery date around it and wait about a month after I finish Taxol to have the surgery.

9/7/10 dx@ age 43 -  IDC - 2cm (4.6cm on MRI!), ER/PR--, HER2+, Grade 2, Likely Stage IIIa.  BRCA negative!

Gina3013
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 490
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:00 AM
Hello ladies!

I just found out today that I will be needing chemo as well. Thankfully my onc said I could wait till after Christmas before I start.
In the meantime she wants me to have a port put in and any other tests done.
I'll be doing 4 weeks of Cytoxan/Adriamycin. Then 4 weeks of Taxol.
It's definitely all a little over whelming but I just view it as another hurdle.

Gina
Diagnosed 09/10
Right Mastectomy 11/4/10
Invasive ductal carcinoma
Triple Negative
BRAC1+
Started chemo 12/14
4 rounds of A/C
4 rounds of Taxol

Age 25

Wife to the most supportive man ever.
Mother to the greatest big little man ever.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:20 AM
Hi Gina, sorry you have to join the chemo ladies but as you can see it's very do able and worth it!  There are some threads about having a port on the main page which I hope helps, for me it was just a little sore for a few days but well worth having.

Hi Reading Mama, glad to hear the salt rinses worked, it's annoying having to keep doing this but will help to avoid any mouth ulcers.
If you have a good response to herceptin it'll help shrink the tumour as much as taxol will, or even more and does'nt usually affect your white cell count so no concerns there about surgery.

As to the taxol, the first infusion will be given much slower to avoid an allergic reaction so allow more time for that.
I also had no problem with the white cells with that and did'nt need neulasta or neupogen shots or anti nausea meds, so hope you're the same.

You do need steroids though so expect to be wide awake and full of energy at all hours lol...usually a couple of days after the infusion some people get bone pain but this was minimal for me on the lower weekly dose. It can affect your nails and cause neuropathy but this is usually temporary and you can take meds if it's a problem.  I really did find this regime so much easier than a/c so good luck with it. 
Oh, my hair grew back too although I lost my eye brows and eye lashes!

Hi to all the chemo  ladies and hope any side effects this week are minimal:)
Carepage- survivortricia

Reading Mama
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Friday, November 26, 2010 6:57 PM
I, just wanted to say I hope everyone had a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving.  I wanted to say how grateful I have been for all the advice and comfort I have received here and I'd especially like to thank Tricia, Karen and Elaine.  I hope to be able to come back and offer others the support that you have given to me and so many others.  Thank You!!!

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Friday, November 26, 2010 7:05 PM
I hope you had a great Thanksgiving too ReadingMama, and know you will help others that come after you,  sadly  we sign up here confused and uncertain, but walk away as experts on bc lol... We all others who helped us too, and for that we are grateful and try to pass it on and it's good to know we helped you a little in coping with  your dx!

Glad we all could help you and hope you'll keep us updated on how you're doing:)
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Friday, November 26, 2010 7:07 PM>
Carepage- survivortricia

Pamiam
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 1145
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:53 PM
Hi Ladies!
Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  I had my first round of Abraxane last Wednesday, and am taking oral Cytoxan 100mg every night.  I haven't had any side effects yet, maybe a little constipation but I keep drinking my Benefiber (the new ones you put in your water bottle are actually yummy!).  When it rains, it pours!  I broke a tooth Friday night on a popcorn kernal! Had it temporarily fixed saturday but will have to call my onc monday as it needs a crown.
I'm wondering if anyone else has been on Abraxane and what kind of side effects you had?  The doctor said my hair would thin but may not fall all the way out?  Figures since I already cut it short and bought a wig!!:)
Thanks Tricia for your kind words of wisdom!  You seem very active on this site and I'm sure are much appreciated! So kind of you!  Oh and Tricia, I am triple negative.
Hope you are all well!
Blessings to all, Pam:)

Bekka
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 400
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, November 29, 2010 1:07 PM
Uggghh I feel so bad I havent been keeping up with my posting...day 8 for me was soooo bad I was in so much pain all I did was cry took some vicodin and some benadryl and just went to sleep....also day 4 was my flu day I call it lol I was so sore..
today on day 13 Im feeling great...today is the first day my head is sore and hair is falling out...but with that said I have the hairdresser standing by and wig and scarves ready :) I hope everyone is doing well!!
Diagnosis: 8/15/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 3/3 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2+

TC every 3 weeks for 6 sessions

Take everyday as a step closer to the finish line and the start of your new life <3

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, November 29, 2010 3:12 PM
Hi Pam and thank you too!   I'm sorry about your tooth and hope it can be fixed easily, last thing you need right now are dental visits! 
I had taxol rather than abraxane but its a similar drug,  I began it after the a/c and my hair grew back while on it although I did lose some eyebrows and eye lashes!   Glad it's going well so far for you, I found taxol to be fairly easy to tolerate and hope that continues for you:)

Hi Bekka, sorry to hear you've had it tough, while having a/c I found I only really recovered in time for the next one!      Its tough losing your hair too but amazing how quickly you get used to it when its gone.  I think I've already mentioned before, how exciting it is when it begins to grow again.   Just keep telling yourself this is all temporary:)

Sending good wishes to all in chemo right now and hoping any side effects are short lived!

Carepage- survivortricia

rhondad
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points : 1675
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, November 29, 2010 9:26 PM
Hi there! I was a summer chemo lady--just finished November 18th! Haven't checked in lately, but I just wanted to stop by and encourage everyone who is just starting, as so many here did for me. You can do it!
DX: 5/10, IDC, stage IIA, 3.5 cm
Grade 3, Triple Negative
No Family history
5/10 Left Mastectomy,
Sentinal node biopsy (negative nodes), tissue expander
PowerPort, 7/6/10
Chemo to start 7/8/10:
4 treatments AC, Neulasta following, DONE!
 12 treatments Taxol , DONE!
Completed chemo 11/18/10
My test has become my testimony. I will survive!

Bekka
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:09 PM
Im thinking tonight is haircut night....Im not having a hard time with it yet lol I just want the mess to stop lol the kids think its cool that mom can run her fingers thru her hair and a whole handful comes out hahahah oh to be a kid haha

Hope everyone else is doing well!
Stay strong ladies :)

Take everyday as a step closer to the finish line and the start of your new life <3

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:01 PM
I also hated the mess Bekka, especially taking a shower and even managed to block mine, thankfully hubby sorted it out:)

In a way I was glad to lose it all so can relate, glad you can keep a sense of humour about it too!
Carepage- survivortricia

Bekka
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:20 PM
Yea Im thinking a #2 clip on the buzzer should be good....My onco nurse said not to short or the nubbies will hurt....

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 2 of 14, messages 21 to 40 of 271