Winter chemo ladies!

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 4 of 14, messages 61 to 80 of 271
Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:06 PM
Hi Gina,

As Mary says you'll be so glad to have the port, and do take the meds even if you don't feel you need them:)

Most of us that took a/c lost our hair around day 17, just after our second one so you may just make it!   Glad you joined in and hoping any side effects are minimal for you.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Reading Mama
  • Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points : 1060
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:01 PM
Well, my port surgery is scheduled for Friday and I'm glad.  My arm is less swollen now, but still quite red and itchy.  Tricia, its funny you mentioned anti-nausau meds, I thought Taxol wasn't suppossed to make you nauseous?  It's funny I did feel a little nauseous the other day, but didn't take any meds and it passed. 

I have been having trouble going to sleep, although I'm tired, once I get into bed, I seem to wake up and can't fall asleep.  Don't know if I can blame that on the Taxol or not...
8/4/10 found lump, 8/13 mammo&us, 8/31 biopsy
9/7/10 dx@ age 43 -  IDC - 2cm (4.6cm on MRI!), ER/PR--, HER2+, Grade 2, Likely Stage IIIa.  BRCA negative!
Neoadjuvant chemo - AC-dose dense, 10/10, 4tx - DONE!
Taxol - dose dense - 4tx - 12/10 - DONE!
Lumpectomy & ALND - 02/16/11 (No cancer left!)
Rads x34 - start April 2010
Herceptin for 1 year - started 12/7/10
Northern NJ, mom to dd(11) and ds(7)

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:30 AM
Reading Mama,

Most people don't need the anti nausea on taxol but think they're a must with a/c as it's a far more toxic drug. 

I think if you're having steroids on taxol thats to blame for you waking up, I had that a lot too and was quite often up doing my laundry at 3am lol...it'll pass:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

Gina3013
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 490
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Friday, December 17, 2010 2:56 AM
Mary and Tricia,
I've been doing good so far. More fatigued then anything. I can home Tuesday from treatment and was in bed by 8:30pm. Unfortunately I was wide awake at 3:30am and couldn't go back to sleep. Been like that for the past few nights now. Overall I've been doing well though. Had to pop a few anti nausea pills here and there but nothing major. I feel more fatigue then anything.

I'm even going into work this morning for a few hours. Just to see how it goes. Thankfully I have some awesome co workers that if I need any help they'll be right there.

The port has definitely made things easier to. I dread to think how bad it could have been with the veins I have. (I've been told I have the veins of a 45 year old and I'm only 25! lol)

I already noticed more hair in my pony tail holder then usual. So I scheduled a hair cutting party this Sunday with my mom, sister, MIL and hubby. Not going to take go to short but short enough that I don't have to worry about a pulling it back anymore. I'll have to make sure to post pics. Were going to get some good one's that's for sure.

I can't thank you ladies enough for the support, advice, and guidance you have given me. Thank you!

Gina

Diagnosed 09/10
Right Mastectomy 11/4/10
Invasive ductal carcinoma
Triple Negative
BRAC1+
Started chemo 12/14
4 rounds of A/C
4 rounds of Taxol

Age 25

Wife to the most supportive man ever.
Mother to the greatest big little man ever.

Reading Mama
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:40 PM
Well had my first chemo with the port today and it was definately much easier!  And will give my arms needed rest.  My veins in my left arm are definately hard and easy to collapse, luckily that is the side the surgery will be on and since I will have 2 levels of lymph nodes out, I will not be able to use those veins anyway.

My stomach is upset but I had half the amount of benedryl and have the amount of the steriod, so I hope that helps.  I did not get nausous with the benedryl this time, although I did take a compzine tonight even though Taxol is not suppossed to make you nauseous.  We see with the sleeping and the steriod...

Its kind of funny, my oncologist seems pretty against the ports, at least for people having shorter treatments, but the nurses are definately for them. 

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and I wish everyone the best possible health over the holidays!
9/7/10 dx@ age 43 -  IDC - 2cm (4.6cm on MRI!), ER/PR--, HER2+, Grade 2, Likely Stage IIIa.  BRCA negative!

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:58 AM
Sorry Gina, I just saw your post and I also was very tired during chemo but tried to rest whenever I could.   How is the hair loss going ??   I hope you're coping and it's great you felt well enough to go into work even for a few hours:)

Reading Mama, we're all different of course and whatever you feel is right for you, many people don't need anti nausea with taxol but if they help then be sure to take them.
Glad the port made it all easier and my best wishes to you all this Christmas, wishing for a healthier and happier new year for all of us!  ((((hugs))))
Carepage- survivortricia

cmorris1015
  • Reward points : 6470
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, December 27, 2010 7:12 AM
Hello Ladies,
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in early October.  Started as stage 1 but moved up to Stage IIA when 2 of my 4 sentinel nodes came back positive.  Drs were surprised at this my case amongst the drs. has been dubbed as "unique".  Anyway, I begin TC chemo treaments next month(so far, January 6th).  I will have 4-6 treatments and then move on to radiation.  I have not been on here much, doing a whole lot of research or documenting my journey. Life has been keeping me busy between my appts., Thanksgiving, my son's stay in the hospital for a ruptured appendix and of course, Christmas.  I just haven't taken the time to deal with the situation.  Well, now everything is over and my mind has nothing else to occupy it.  Time to ask questions so here they are. 

What side affects has anyone had with the TC treatments?

What head coverings for winter have been your choice of preference(wig, hats, scarves)? Where purchased?

Anyone attend a "Feel Good, Look Better" seminar?

Anyone attend "Support Groups" with the family?(I am married and have a 13 and 14 year old boys)

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ladies!!

Cindy

Gina3013
  • Reward points : 490
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, December 27, 2010 9:16 PM
Tricia,
I just saw your post. I've been seriously slacking with the holiday's. The hair cutting party went great. I couldn't get a good picture of my mohawk but oh well.
I had my first treatment on the 14th and was exhausted for about 3 days. By day 6 I was feeling really good. I managed to work 4 days last week. I have my next treatment tomorrow so I made sure I got all the laundry and cleaning done today so my dh doesn't have to worry about it.

Gina
Diagnosed 09/10
Right Mastectomy 11/4/10
Invasive ductal carcinoma
Triple Negative
BRAC1+
Started chemo 12/14
4 rounds of A/C
4 rounds of Taxol

Age 25

Wife to the most supportive man ever.
Mother to the greatest big little man ever.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:26 AM
Thanks for the update Gina and glad you're managing to get through it without too much disruption or side effects and hope the next one goes just as well:)

Hi Cindy, I did'nt have this regime but if you read over the thread on chemo tips at the top of the page you may get an idea of what to expect.  If you also start a new thread maybe others will see your questions more easily and can offer advice. 
I preferred a wig outdoor's but many don't, I bought some lovely scarves and a warm sleep cap also from www.headcovers.com
I can't help with your other questions but I'm sure other's can and wish you luck with your treatment!:)
Carepage- survivortricia

dap1961
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 4165
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:16 AM
in about a half hour, I will be going in for my 3rd chemo of 4!  I will be reaching the 3/4th point of almost being done!  Who thought going for treatment would be a celebration of some sort???  Happy New year everyone!

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:42 PM
Thats great news Dap, good luck with this one and roll on the last, and a healthier 2011!!!
Carepage- survivortricia

Reading Mama
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:50 PM
Hi Cindy, I did not have TC, but can help answer some of your other questions.

- I've been working from home a lot, so have not been out too much.  But usually wear my wig with earmuffs.  But I was not a hat person before this either.  I like headcovers.com and hatsforyou.net

- I would highly recommend the Feel Good Look Better program.  You get a ton of free stuff, learn how to put in on (learn how to draw eyebrows...in case you need that) and in my case meet a women from the next town in a similiar situation, who I now e-mail with.

- Have not attended a support group myself yet.  Seemed too much to look into in the beginning.  I also have young kids (11 and 7) and wanted to find one for them, but haven't done that yet either....  Still on my list.

Good luck with the start of your treatments.

magsunc
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 495
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:19 PM
Hello everyone...I am new to this forum and new to cancer.  I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in late November, shortly after my 36th birthday (nice birthday present, huh?).  It came as quite a shock and I still can't believe this is all happening.  I started chemo (TAC, every 3 weeks, 6 cycles) on Dec. 20...getting ready for my second treatment this Monday.  My hair started falling out a few days ago which has been quite depressing.  I realize my hair should be the least of my concerns right now, but I just can't help it.... 

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:36 PM
Hi and welcome to the winter chemo ladies forum, sorry you have to join us here though.

I think the hair loss is the biggest emotional upset for all of us, it was for me too but I do remember getting used to the bald me after a few weeks!  I thought I'd never complain about my hair again lol but you do forget and just today I was moaning that I need a hair cut:)    Hang in there because it does pass and it's so exciting seeing it grow in again....although could'nt wait to colour mine as it came back white/grey and curly!
I did find a warm sleep cap very helpful though as did chemo during winter too. 
Good luck with the next treatment and keep us posted!!
Carepage- survivortricia

dap1961
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 4165
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:20 PM
Hello Winter chemo ladies!  I am counting down the days to my last chemo on January 18th!  But I do have a question about my bald scalp!
I was looking at it tonight and it looks like I have cradle cap!  It is very dry and flaky and is grossing me out! I do still have a few hairs that are hanging on for dear life, but seems like the flakes got worse the more I used a comb on it to try and get the flakes off!  Is there a certain shampoo you need to use on your scalp while in the shower?? Should I put a conditioner on it??  Am I not "giving it enough air", as I generally have a ballcap on around the house, a wig when I go out and a cap at night because it gets cold...help!  This look reminds me of when my boys were little and got cradle cap!  UGH!

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:22 PM
Hi Dap- I've been away for a few days so only just seeing your question now.  I did'nt have this myself but think I remember someone suggesting a baby shampoo or cradle cap cream for it, it's gentle enough to not irritate your scalp.
Maybe try posting on sound off where others may see your question that had this too and good luck again for the 18th!!!
Carepage- survivortricia

magsunc
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:12 PM
Just had my second (of 6) TAC treatment yesterday.  Since I started treatment my appetite has completely changed.  Nothing sounds appetizing.  The only foods that sound good are thigs like bread, rice, potatoes.  I'm afraid I'm not getting enough protein.  Anyone else have problems like this?  Any suggestions?

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:11 AM
Hi Magsunc- many of us had appetite changes during chemo and it's usually followed by a strong mettalic taste in your mouth which is unpleasant but temporary.

My Onc always said just to eat what I felt like while doing chemo but if you're concerned there maybe a dietician at your chemo centre that could advise you.  Many people try some health/vitamin drinks if they don't feel like a full meal.  I lived on small  sandwiches, soups and fruit during my chemo and although I lost weight I soon put it back again when finished lol:)
Carepage- survivortricia

magsunc
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:44 AM
Tricia-
Thanks for the advice!  These message boards are great!
Maggie

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:51 AM
You're welcome Maggie but forgot to mention grapefruit is a no no during chemo as it can interfere with the absorbtion of the drug!!
Carepage- survivortricia

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 4 of 14, messages 61 to 80 of 271