Winter chemo ladies!

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 6 of 14, messages 101 to 120 of 271
JF
  • Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points : 3520
Re:Neulasta - Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:36 AM
Oh so good to hear about no bone pain - thank you for positive vibes.  I wish I could make my brain think differently (while I can still control it right) - so that I don't assume my experience will be the worst on record.  I used to be such a positive person!  I want that person to come back and fight this fight.  In the meantime, I will channel you all.

JudyJudyJudy

Her Dotness
  • Total Posts : 564
  • Reward points : 4525
Re:Neulasta - Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:45 AM
JF

Oh so good to hear about no bone pain - thank you for positive vibes.  I wish I could make my brain think differently (while I can still control it right) - so that I don't assume my experience will be the worst on record.

Know that feeling. Been there, done that bigtime. I was a complete basketcase when I opened the mammo report letter and saw those hideous words, "abnormality detected," way back in November about two weeks before my birthday. I sat there clutching that horrid piece of white death news (I foolishly thought!) and cry-screaming my head off for almost an hour. My mother and hers both died of bc, post-menopause, and when I reached that point in life, the underlying terror was always there.

It took me a loooooooonnnnnng time to believe my various oncs that I have an excellent prognosis and will be just fine in five years as long as I am very good and do what I must to support the efforts of the treatments. 

I used to be such a positive person!  I want that person to come back and fight this fight.  In the meantime, I will channel you all.

JudyJudyJudy

Ummmm....JJJx3? She's in there amidst all the anxiety, worry and fear, waiting for you to realize that you're still who you've always been only just somewhat befrazzled for VERY GOOD REASON right now.

Be gentler with self and you'll soon find that positive you sneaking out to surprise you delightfully.

And until she pokes her nose through the cancer fright, lean on all of us. We can carry you along as you need until you are trotting right with us helping someone else who's quakin' in her booties.

Not to worry...you WILL find her again,
Dot
dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
1/5/11 lumpectomy, SLND 2+, ALND - 
T1c, clean margins!
er +/pr + (My little nasty was an estrogen drunk, said my med onc.) HER2 -
Chemo: TC Done 4/30/11 
Rads:  Done 6/30/11 
Arimidex 7/11-? 

rbolnick
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 870
Re:Neulasta - Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:19 AM
judy,
I'm taking neulasta and on the first time, I guess I had bone pain for about 12 hours. It felt like growing pains mostly. And I've had neulasta 2 more times after that, and didn't have any more bone pain.
I found that heat packs felt nice. might not have been doing anything, but i think it felt better.

For me, the neulasta causes an achiness all over my body 2 days after the shot that lasts about 48 hours. that's the worst, because it's that feeling like you get with the flu... the thouchy skin thing? We've nicknamed it "touchy Tuesday" :) and then on Wednesday, my metabolism is going through the roof, so I get very out of breath/fatigued at the slightest exertion.

Best of luck next week!! you'll do fine :)

hugs,
rebecca

Rebecca in Phoenix
Stage 2A, IDC;  ER+PR+HER+
Lumpectomy, sentinal + 7 axillary nodes (1/9 positive): 10/28/10
A/C dose dense x4: 12/30/10 - 2/12/11 FINISHED!
T+ Herceptin dose dense x12: starting February 2010
RADS; 1 year Herceptin; 5 years hormone TBD

"You can laugh about it, or you can cry about it. I choose to laugh"

jojojana
  • Total Posts : 105
  • Reward points : 5625
Re:Neulasta - Saturday, February 12, 2011 4:10 AM
I only have 2 more A/C's to go and I am ALL DONE WITH CHEMO!!!!  I am so happy!  Like I said before....the 12 Taxols were nothing compared to this A/C stuff!  They gave me a patch that seeems to be working for the nausea - which seems to be working!  YEA!
My surgery is scheduled for April 7th.  I really haven't thought that far in advance......just working on getting thru the chemo! 
Kim Taylor,  40, KC MO 
DX 10-13-10 IDC Stage II, 1 node tested was + 
Port 10-28-10 
Taxol x 12 DONE!!!!!
 A/C x 4 DONE!!!
Surgery 4-7-11

JF
Re:Neulasta - Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:15 PM
Thanks Rebecca,
These notes of personal experience are very helpful to me.  I think the book I am reading is so dedicated to covering all the side effects that I think I will get every one.  I know that is unlikely and it seems that many Komenites have done really well with the neulasta.  Know how much I appreciate your comments and support.
Judy

diag 12/2010; lumpectomy and then re-excision to clear margins; 2.8cm; stage IIA; low grade; .85mm micromet; ONCO 15; ER 100%+/P+/HER-; TC x 4 started 2/24/2011; radiation ending on 7/8/11 then aromasin

JF
Re:Neulasta - Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:26 PM
Kim one of the things that you said had to do with not wanting to worry about the next stage of treatment.  I think that is really important, to just focus on the current treatment and not let yourself get too far ahead in your head.  I am trying to do what I say and not think about all of the "what if's" about the future.  I had my final treatment opinion yesterday and am all set for T/C next week.  This may sound weird but I want to get it started, I want to get the show on the road.  I am mentally exhausted by all of the research and tests and appointments and brain surge of trying to figure out my treatment options.  Now I know what I am doing and am geared up. The only weird part is I feel so GOOD right now, so I am trying not to think about not feeling good.  you would think, as a control person, that I would be able to control my thoughts better right?  I'll get there...Thank you all again for being out there.
Judy

diag 12/2010; lumpectomy and then re-excision to clear margins; 2.8cm; stage IIA; low grade; .85mm micromet; ONCO 15; ER 100%+/P+/HER-; TC x 4 started 2/24/2011; radiation ending on 7/8/11 then aromasin

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13515
Re:Neulasta - Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:56 PM
Judy,

You are so right in your thinking, it really does empower us to have a treatment plan and get started on fighting back this disease and I felt the same way!

I also believe in taking one step at a time as otherwise it just becomes totally overwhelming!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

dap1961
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 4165
Re:Neulasta - Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:55 PM
Hello winter chemo ladies! I just finished up my 4th and final chemo on January 18th!  WOO HOO!  I went back to work after being off for 4 months (I work at an elementary school) and am feeling pretty good except that my muscles ache everyday after coming home from work..I am sure this is because I am walking around more on a concrete floor and for the fact that I haven't exercised since all of this happenend in July of last summer. I got my port out on Tuesday and I see my oncologist on Tuesday, the first time in 4 weeks.  I have the rest of my reconstruction/reduction/lift scheduled for March 10th...I will be on the final stage of my journey and hope to have a good summer this year with my new C cup size! I am so excited about my hair coming back in (not yet, but hope so soon!).  I will be starting Tamoxifin I believe and my new "boob job" will be done 16 days before my 50th birthday!  I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel but still hoping all is okay when I have blood tests, etc.  
 I am dealing with very ugly nails right now...want them to grow out very soon!  They are still a little numb and hurt when I try to open up  things.  Tricia, like you said, it is one step at a time and luckily, I have only had to go through 4 chemo treatments.  Getting the port out was a big celebration for me as it is one less "visual" of my cancer.  

Tricia Keegan
Re:Neulasta - Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:04 PM
So happy for you Dap, getting the chemo done and port out is a huge achievement so you have a celebration planned!!!

I hope your future surgeries go well and many congrats to you, the nails will grow back and stamina will return so give your body some time to heal and know, you did it!!!!!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

JF
Re:Neulasta - Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:53 PM
Dap,
So good to hear this as I get ready to start treatment - I am going to think about that light at the end of the tunnel.
One question - is nail issue a common side effect from all chemo?
Judy

rbolnick
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 870
Re:Neulasta - Saturday, February 12, 2011 11:32 PM
glad I could help, Judy! When I first came on, I just wanted to read everyone's experience, rather than what the pamphlets said. And you are right, you read that stuff and think every possible side effect will happen to you.

The other thing that's SUPER important as you read Komenville is to read what kind and course/timing of chemo the poster had. Each drug is different, and will have very different effects (and intensity). So, I think specific questions like yours about the bone pain with neulasta is great, because the responses will be specific to your treatment.

and, the other thing is that EVERY one will react differently. I think the only consistent thing I've seen is hair loss. Even nausea seems to be somewhat "personal constitution" dependent, as well as intensity of your cocktail :)

And the plan is THE best!!! My onco laughed when we met this week to discuss my 12 weeks of Taxol and she said it would start 2/25, and that would put the end date at... and my man jumped in and said "Friday, May 13th". Needless to say, we had already mapped it all out! and he's got a great memory!

Hugs!!
rebecca
Rebecca in Phoenix
Stage 2A, IDC;  ER+PR+HER+
Lumpectomy, sentinal + 7 axillary nodes (1/9 positive): 10/28/10
A/C dose dense x4: 12/30/10 - 2/12/11 FINISHED!
T+ Herceptin dose dense x12: starting February 2010
RADS; 1 year Herceptin; 5 years hormone TBD

"You can laugh about it, or you can cry about it. I choose to laugh"

JF
FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:07 PM
My med onc suggested that instead of TC x 4 that I have FEC x 3 then Tax x 3.  He said it might be better tolerated than TC and is more widely used in Canada and Europe??? Has anyone had the FEC regimen?  Thanks - Judy.

Tricia Keegan
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:47 PM
I think most onc's here in Ireland are still using the first regime suggested to you Judy, although I think Rena (24 year survivor) had FEC but may be mistaken so need to check that.

I've just read some data that shows anthracycline chemo's don't give any advantage over other less toxic regime's, not sure if that helps but thought I'd mention it.  I had a/c (adriamucin= very toxic with cytoxin followed by taxol) but it's looking like taxol may have had the same results going by this study!
Carepage- survivortricia

JF
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:17 PM
Tricia,
It sort of threw me for a loop as all docs that I have met with have said TC and then to have the FEC/Tx thrown at me was hard.  I struggle with the unexpected right now.  Trying to work on that.  Any change is hard for me right now.  Like getting a staff infection on Sunday which might postpone treatment all together - of course I had the whole cycle all mapped out on the calendar, then realizing, hey we can't plan - too many variables - I have to give myself over to this process and let it happen, rather than try to carve anything in stone...Hoping to get stronger, and thank you for your post.  Judy

Tricia Keegan
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:09 AM
Judy- maybe ask your onc why you should choose one over the other and what would be his first choice etc...I think FEC has been around a long time and both regimes have had good results so whatever you decide I'm sure will be the right one for you.

I hope the tx is not postponed and you can get started and think you'll feel a lot better about things then. :)
Carepage- survivortricia

Dalysha
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Reward points : 1360
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:38 AM
Well here I am...sitting in my heated recliner, checking in on my sisters, receiving my final treatment. I am excited about having this step behind me. My onc. says that I can schedule my reconstruction with my PS anytime after the 4-week mark. I've never had issues with my labs or any symptoms outside of the "norm" for chemo. so after a "short rest" I should be ready for the final steps. You ladies have been great and I have no doubt this journey would have been much more difficult without your support and guidance.

JF: I'm not familar with the FEC tx. I just rec'd the T&C. 
Age 39: Dx: DCIS/IDC 10/11/10
Bilat. Mastectomy w/Expanders 11/5/10
SNB x 2 - / BRCA -
ER/PR +/ Her -/Grade 2/Stage 1/Oncotype 19
Chemo: T&C X 4 (completed 2/16/2011)
Tamoxifen (3/11) & Reconstruction to Follow (4/11) 

If you don't like something change it;
if you can't change it,
change the way you think about it.
-Mary Engelbreit

Tricia Keegan
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:19 PM
Dalysha,

Thats wonderful to be on your last treatment and hope this one goes smoothly for you! :)
Carepage- survivortricia

JF
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:23 PM
Tricia,
My treatment is delayed a week because of the staff infection - med onc says no need to start suppressing my immune system when I have an infection and am on antibiotics.  Of course I agree.  I feel deflated to have to wait to start but am trying to enjoy a free week pass.

Dalysha,
I hope I get the heated recliner.  I know my center does foot massages.  I am very excited for you that you are done.  It sounds like you did very well with the TC which is a very good signal for us who are in the queue.  I am very psyched for you.
Judy

Tricia Keegan
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:46 PM
Oh what a shame Judy, but a sensible decision of course, and whats a week either way??

Make the most of this week if you feel well enough and get ready to kill this beast!:)
Carepage- survivortricia

Her Dotness
  • Total Posts : 564
  • Reward points : 4525
Re:FEC x 3; Taxotere x 3 ?? - Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:52 AM
Looks like Judy and I are twins again. Similar dx and chemo and now illness postponing our next infusions.

I've got a vicious flu which means there ain't no way I'm getting my 2nd infusion this coming Monday.

Got an antibiotic from my med onc yesterday. I'd had a couple of days of feeling pretty good after getting this junk on Saturday, and then yesterday felt so rotten all I could do is lie in bed breathing steam. Didn't want to watch tv, read or do anything else.

Cracked me up when my in-laws called and FIL asked if we have any Lysol. Insisted we must spray all surfaces, the phones and our pillows. Okay, that might prevent the other from getting this, but we're both sick as dogs. I guess we can ensure that our dinner party guests tomorrow night won't get the flu if they need to make a phone call.

After we hung up the phone, I'd have laughed at that if wouldn't have gotten me to coughing. Hubby and I just looked at each other and shook our heads.

Dot
dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
1/5/11 lumpectomy, SLND 2+, ALND - 
T1c, clean margins!
er +/pr + (My little nasty was an estrogen drunk, said my med onc.) HER2 -
Chemo: TC Done 4/30/11 
Rads:  Done 6/30/11 
Arimidex 7/11-? 

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 6 of 14, messages 101 to 120 of 271