RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 21 to 40 of 63
CindyGraeff
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 5550
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Thursday, June 09, 2011 4:25 PM
Thanks Pat!

That's great information - I looked up Dr Stubblefield at Sloan-Kettering - It looks like he's got a our back's on this issue! Here is the link if anyone wants to look it up too.  http://www.mskcc.org/prg/prg/bios/666.cfm

How refreshing to find someone dedicated and understanding to our plight!  :)

He terms our symptoms "radiation fibrosis syndrome" .  So, I did some research on that term, and found a power point he put together, that he used to speak at a 2010 medical convention.  I wish I could have heard his presentation.  I also see he has a medical publication that may be good reading.  I do not have access/subscription to these publications personally, but I may be able to obtain it.  The abstract is at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21600368

I see you live in NY state - I am in TX, but I used to live in PA - I have been to Sloan-Kettering in 1983 for my Hodgkins Disease - as a last resort for treatment protocol.  Saved my life. 

Please keep us posted on your progress with him!  I am very anxious to hear more. 

Stay Strong,
Cindy
Breast Cancer Survivor
Diagnosed 11/17/05
double radical mastectomy - right tumors 5 & 7 cm - left contained pre cancer cells
100% Estrogen Positive
HER 2 Negative, 5/8 nodes, Stage III
8 chemo cycles - CAT (Cytoxan, Adriamycin, Taxotere) - first 4 Cytoxan Adriamycin;  last 4 Taxotere - completed 05/23/06
33 radiation treatments - along right mastectomy scar and auxillary nodes - completed 08/08/06
Hodgkins Disease S

CindyGraeff
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Friday, July 01, 2011 10:40 AM
Through a previous Susan G Komen forum post (thanks Pat!), I was able to find a Dr who actually specializes in cancer rehabilitation for the type of radiation induced nerve damage I have.  He wrote a medical publication I was able to obtain and read – here is a link to the abstract  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21600368
I was able to obtain a full copy of the publication.  As I was reading it, I thought he had written it about me?  The Hodgkins Disease radiation I received in the 80's and the prolonged and progressive damage it causes all by itself, and then add some overlapping radiation to the mix.  So, I sent him an email - he is at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in NYC, Dr Michael Stubblefield.  He responded in less than 2 hours - there's a surprise - and indicated he could do an evaluation/testing/etc. on my current condition and work up a plan of physical therapy and occupational therapy - would I be able to come to NYC and stay two weeks?  So, I did some more research - will my insurance cover out of state/region hospital/medical fees - and it does.  Sloan-Kettering is accepted in my plan and so is the Dr.  I will have the usual co-pay and deduction responsibilities.  Plus flights, and hotel, are on me.  The hospital works with several hotels that provide discounts to those staying overnight for outpatient procedures.  Hotels are not cheap in Manhattan.....  the discount is actually quite substantial - so that helps.  Dr. Stubblefield is not going to be able to cure, or fix, the nerve damage... he will be able to perform the needed testing/evaluations in order to pinpoint the areas I may be able to strengthen or adjust to using, and hopefully help ease the incessant pain and paresthesia  - and I'll be able to bring back a plan to follow when I get back to TX.   HHHmmmmm.... a plan?  I always need a plan of action - and with this issue, no other Dr has been able to provide one...    I have, in my court, some great supportive friends.  Two of them, will be able to tag team travel with me to NYC for the two weeks I need to be there.  That is incredible!  Surrounding myself with positive forces is always a strength that can’t be measured.
I'm optimistic about this trip, as it truly has been the only Dr (other than research universities/clinical trials) that I have found who truly understands the problem - one that won't stare blankly and tell me there is nothing they can do to help.  I’m scheduled to go in August.
I totally get the severity of my condition, and know it can't be fixed - but to be able to enhance what I still have and overall quality of life is a great sounding plan to me.  It feels like a last ditch effort in a lot of ways due to the closed doors, lack of medical research/funding/knowledge there currently is ... it's an opportunity/chance I need to take.
My anticipated result –
1.  A clear understanding of what damage has occurred  
2.  What to expect going forward. 
3.  An actual plan of action. 
4.  Physical therapy to help with range of motion. 
5.  Occupational Therapy to help with day to day life adjustments beyond what I've taught myself.
6.  Pain/paresthesia relief.
7.  A better outlook on quality of life.  What a concept? ;)

Stay Strong,
Cindy
Breast Cancer Survivor
Diagnosed 11/17/05
double radical mastectomy - right tumors 5 & 7 cm - left contained pre cancer cells
100% Estrogen Positive
8 chemo cycles - CAT (Cytoxan, Adriamycin, Taxotere) - first 4 Cytoxan Adriamycin;  last 4 Taxotere - completed 05/23/06
33 radiation treatments - along right mastectomy scar and auxillary nodes - completed 08/08/06
Hodgkins Disease S

PDV1949
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 520
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Friday, July 01, 2011 4:03 PM
Hi Cindy,

I'm thrilled you are scheduled for a complete evaluation by Dr. Stubblefield, and I pray he will have everything you are seeking to improve your QOL.

I too have a consultation appointment on 8/18/11 with him, and also hope for the same!

I may need to return to see him again, but it's only a 5 hour trip, and I have relatives and friends to stay with if I need a few days. I was hoping his botox or other injections might help me. But we'll see what he says, I'm up for anything that will improve QOL.

I wanted to also mention the Texas Brachial Plexus Institue in Houston to see if maybe they could assist when you return. I don't know if you're nearby, but they do treat adults, and they do offer PT. They don't specifically mention brachial plexus injuries following chemo or radiation, but they have highly specialize MD's who probably could help those of us with CIBP/RIBP if only they knew the problem existed!   

I'm at pdvautrain@msn.com I hope you will contact me via email to send me a copy of his paper and also so we can exchange emails and phone numbers. If we're in NYC at the same time, and time allows, I may try to call or see you. My appointment is at 4 pm, and I'm traveling with my sister from Long Island, off the Jersey shore. It just so happens we'll be there on a 2 week vacation when the appointment comes up - what a co-incidence!

Can't wait to hear how it all goes for you. I'm so excited for both of us! We'd better tell Dr. Stubblefield there may be more coming now that the word is out!

Prayers and all my best to you and your QOL!

Take care, Pat 

CindyGraeff
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Friday, July 29, 2011 3:53 PM
Well.... I had my "rash" checked by a dermatologist that's on my right arm and chest.  It looks nasty, even when not itching, kinda like very thin scarred skin – oh wait – it is scarred - by the radiation.  Arm/chest biopsies are benign, and a condition mostly caused as an after effect of chemotherapy/radiation. He gave me some topical cream to help calm it down. However, while I was there, he noticed a spot, smaller than a dime, on my right thigh. He took a biopsy there too. That one is Basal Cell Carcinoma. He removed it this week. What was less than a dime size spot is now a 4" incision. Ouch! It was rather interesting to look at.  Haven't noticed any other spots.... :)  So, cancer #3 has paid an unwelcome visit. Whoever said "three's a charm" is a liar!
Next week, I need to have a cardiac catheterization as a more thorough look into my Cardiomyopathy and increased symptoms I am having.  Yes, the Cardiomyopathy is also a direct result of the chemo/radiation….. another reason we need more attention given to the survivors, pay attention to what’s happening to the lives saved, and work at kinder, gentler, cancer killers – does anyone at SGK read these posts?  Hey!!  Pay attention to us!!!
It’s almost time (< 1 month) for my 5th year (from end of treatments), 6th from diagnosis, breast cancer cancerversary.   No matter how many of these we got through, there is always some anxiety that comes along for the ride. 
In the meantime, I am looking forward to my visit to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and Dr. Stubblefield.  I will be posting each day I am there with updates on progress and information.  ;)
Stay strong,
Cin
Breast Cancer Survivor
Diagnosed 11/17/05
100% Estrogen Positive
Hodgkins Disease S

CindyGraeff
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:43 PM
Great work by Chemobabe! Komen does have the ability to do the "right thing" and use the multitude of $ raised to better serve the current needs of those recently diagnosed, with better/safer/kinder treatments, and for those who have survived the hell of the worst of it. Come on Komen!! We all need to make our voices heard - or change will not happen.... http://www.chemobabe.com/2011/​08/attention/
Breast Cancer Survivor
Diagnosed 11/17/05
100% Estrogen Positive
Hodgkins Disease S

CindyGraeff
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Sunday, August 07, 2011 6:52 PM
Well... Holy hell - what was supposed to be an easy-peasy cardiac cath to measure the interior blood pressures, and take a closer look at the mitral valve disfunction, turned into the discovery of 3 blockages.... One required a stent, the Proximal Circumflex Artery, with 80% blockage.  The other two are the Right Coronary Artery at 40% blockage and the Left Coronary Artery at 50% blockage, these will just be monitored.  So instead of a half day hospital test, I had to spend the night.  it sure could have been worse.  I'm glad I had it done before a heart attack came along.  I just have a very nice shade of purple bruise along the top of my thigh/hip, and a new drug to add to the list of many others.  My Cardiologist was not on rotation to release me from the hospital, one of his partners was instead.  So I will talk to my Cardiologist at an appointment this week and get the details on everything else.  A week to go, and then it's off to Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Rehab for a new adventure in survivorship :) 
Breast Cancer Survivor
Diagnosed 11/17/05
100% Estrogen Positive
Hodgkins Disease S

CindyGraeff
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:30 PM
Here it is - the first installment of my trip to MSKCC Rehab and Dr. Michael Stubblefield evaluation.

Sunday, Aug 14th – Arrive in NYC!  Good smooth flight, quick taxi ride to the hotel… raining and 70’s – much different than the TX heat we left behind! 
Monday, Aug 15th – Started with MSKCC Financial Center – to obtain my insurance info and explain benefits – from there I headed to Dr. Michael Stubblefield’s office for my initial evaluation/consult.  It began with a staff physician and medical student asking many questions regarding my past medical activity, specifically the Hodgkins Disease and related radiation/chemo treatments in the 80’s, followed by the additional  Breast Cancer radiation/chemo  received in 2006.  What was refreshing, and encouraging, about this initial discussion was that they understood the damage I have, the related nerve pain, muscle loss, and addition of heart complications.  I didn’t get the usual ‘deer in the headlights look, and shrug of the shoulders, of I don’t know what to do’, response.  They then examined me and tested strength tested my fingers, hands, wrists, forearms, biceps, shoulders, neck, legs, and feet.  After which, they discussed with Dr Stubblefield.  He then came in, introduced himself, and said I believe we need to move to a larger room.  OK – wasn’t sure why at that moment, but OK just the same.  As we walk into the larger examination room, he asks if I mind if his physician and intern staff join us so he can share our discussion and his examination for teaching/learning purposes.  I welcome that - the more the merrier!  The medical world desperately needs to learn about this virtually unknown, survivor quality of life, problem.  So, in came 5 additional Drs.  He then asked me questions about pain, numbness, paresthsia and performed some basic strength tests.  He physically examined me, discussing out loud his findings for the benefit of the room – and he showed us all MRI graphics of patients with radiation induced brachial plexus involvement, along with photos of neck, back and spine distortions from the radiation nerve damage and related muscle atrophy.  He indicated that my severity of nerve damage is mostly from the Hodgkins Disease mantle radiation from the early 80’s – the Breast Cancer overlapping radiation of course added to the progression.  I am apparently in a 1% population of overall patients he has seen.  Interesting indeed.  It doesn’t make me feel better, or worse, necessarily, as I believe I am in the right hands for diagnosis/help now.
The loss of right hand/arm functionality, from nerve damage, is not repairable.  The neck, shoulders, and left arm nerve damage,  muscle weakness, and overall pain, is attributed to the radiation, and is also not repairable.
The numbness, paresthesia, pain in my lower legs, feet and toes, would not be related to the mantle radiation. 
He has scheduled an EMG for Wednesday, that will be performed in the office.  I also have been scheduled for two MRIs next week in the MSKCC hospital locations  – one for the brachial plexus, the other for the entire spine.  These will rule out any other potential issues, like a tumors – benign or malignant - other nerve disorders, spine problems.  Also, they will measure the level of damage done, allowing a full diagnosis and prognosis, followed by a plan of action.
Dr Stubblefield is an incredibly personable and knowledgeable MD.  He specializes in helping the survivor, surviving the treatments that saved their lives.  Bringing back, some of the quality of life those of us have been missing for years.  He works closely with the Physical and Occupational Therapy center and directs them to treat the individual needs of each patient.  He will also share the plan for PT/OT with my Doctor back in Texas to continue once I return.
After my meeting with Dr Stubblefield, I headed to my first Physical Therapy session.  There, I received a very detailed examination, and analysis of my physical condition.  Measurements and notations made.  During the entire time, they explained clearly what they were seeing, doing and documenting, along with why.  This allows them to focus on the areas of weakness, which will in turn allow strengthening in core areas.    Most of yesterday’s time was spent on analysis and planning.  Although I did get some homework!  Diaphragm breathing while lying down – and learning how to keep the side-stitches under control.  ;)  I’m already using muscles that have not been used in years.  Also, a big change for me – will be practicing, and eventually mastering, sleeping on my back.  Very big change – I have been a stomach sleeper for most of my life… and if not on my stomach, I am on my right side… two positions that in the long run do me no good.  So, sleep positioning with correct pillow placement is in my future.  Apparently, it’s not normal to toss and turn all night long… who knew??  Correct positioning equals more restful sleep…  J
My first Occupational Therapy is later this afternoon… I’ll write more tomorrow, after my EMG and PT/OT sessions. 

Stay Strong,
Cindy
Breast Cancer Survivor
Diagnosed 11/17/05
100% Estrogen Positive
Hodgkins Disease S

CindyGraeff
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:04 PM
MSKCC Rehab – second installment -  
Tuesday, Aug 16th,  I had my first Occupational Therapy session.  It was mostly information gathering for the therapist, and a few measurements.  Several were related to range of motion and flexibility.  Another was sensory - a series of pen-like gadgets (5 or 6), each with varying size fiber attachments, from the thinness of a hair, to the thickness of a drinking straw.  With my eyes closed, each size was touched to different points on each finger and hand to determine what size I could feel.  Right hand could only feel the thickest one (drinking straw like) fiber, and only in a few spots.  Left hand could only feel the middle sized fiber on fore and middle fingers.  And the next thicker fiber on other two fingers.  After that, she had me squeeze a hand held gadget that measures the strength of grip in lbs of pressure.  The right hand gripped at its maximum 13 lbs of pressure.  The left hand gripped at its maximum 45 lbs of pressure. 
Wednesday, Aug 17th, was my EMG/nerve study with Dr. Stubblefield.  An electromyogram (EMG) measures the electrical activity of muscles at rest and during contraction.  A nerve conduction study, measures how well and how fast the nerves can send electrical signals.  Not a very pleasant test, but certainly not the worst either.  The overall study took 2 ½ hours…. I am very sore this evening.... muscles and nerves are very unhappy with those studies. The result is confirmation of RIBP (Radiation Induced Brachial Plexopathy) and Radiation Induced Fibrosis.  Damage is more extensive on the right side, entire neck, and both shoulders.  The Brachial Plexus has 3 main sections.  The lower section is severely and extensively damaged by the radiation, which killed the nerves by stripping the sheathing off, causing them to short circuit, burning up the nerve cells.  This lower part of the Brachial Plexus affects the hand/fingers.  The middle portion of the Brachial Plexus is also damaged, in the same way, but not quite as severely.  This middle section affects the forearm.  The upper section of the Brachial Plexus, pertains to the upper arm.  I do not have much damage to that section, so my upper arm may retain more strength.  Loss of right hand usage will continue and eventually become a dangling arm extension.  Forearm will continue to become weaker, and not be much more useful.  Neck and shoulder weakness will also progress.  The weakness is caused by the inability of the damaged nerves to feed the muscles.  The nerve cells that have been destroyed are unable to repair on their own or with any medical/science treatments.  Since the muscles can’t be fed, they too die, which is the atrophy.  No CIPN (Chemo Induced Peripheral Neuropathy) findings - which is good.  Lower leg weakness, paresthesia and foot drop are stemming from my lower back, possibly where I had surgery/fusion in 2003. 
I am going to be fitted with a neck support that simply acts as it sounds.  I’ll use it when I tire or am sitting up for more support, less fatigue on neck/shoulder muscles.  Also, I will be fitted for lower leg/foot braces to help with walking and providing foot support.  So, prognosis isn’t great – but at least there are items to help, and range of motion/core strength/stretching/posture building PT/OT to build on.  I need lots of help with that, and this is definitely the place to get it.  J
I asked Dr Stubblefield about stem cell regeneration, and if it is a possibility for this kind of nerve damage – sadly, he shook his head no, and said it is not anywhere in the works for this survivorship problem. 
I have a full spine MRI and a brachial plexus MRI scheduled next week for further diagnosis and definitions. 
Dr Stubblefield is amazing, as is the entire MSKCC Rehab PT/OT team.  I have been given so much attention and assistance and information in just the first 3 days, I feel my head will explode - in a good way.  Cancer survivors are living much longer than before, and they are just discovering the intensity and magnitude of the long term effects from treatments.  Focus now, is improving the quality of the life that’s been saved.
More to come after further PT/OT and MRIs completed….  J
Stay Strong,
Cindy
Breast Cancer Survivor
Diagnosed 11/17/05
100% Estrogen Positive
Hodgkins Disease S

Jean Southward
  • Total Posts : 1782
  • Reward points : 3810
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:44 AM
Wish you the best Cindy! This sounds as if you have really been thru the mill.
Jean S

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops...at all.

Emily Dickinson

IDC Stage IIB Grade 3 BC DX on 2-10-09
HER2+++
ER/PR+ 90% 
2 of 6 Node Positive
Double Mastectomy 2-23-09
Completed Chemo TC 7-10
Herceptin until 3-20-10
Arimidex for 5 years Started 8-09 

CindyGraeff
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:25 PM
MSKCC Rehab - third installment -
Middle of week two in NYC – Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Rehab –  Both MRIs are completed.  It’ll still be a few days till the results/reports are received. 

I was fitted for and received the lower leg/foot braces and neck support on Friday.  The leg/foot braces may need to be adjusted.  And the neck support will need some getting used to – both are not to be worn all the time, just when most needed to aid when doing more walking, and when my neck muscles tire from holding my head up during the day. 

So far, I’ve had 12 total sessions of physical, occupational, and manual manipulation therapies – learned so much in this short time.  They always give me printouts with detail pictures and instruction on each exercise.  It’s a good thing they do – chemo brain would never be able to remember it all!  I had to by a binder with sheet protectors to keep all the exercises in.  There are many posture correcting exercises I can do on my own, that help stretch and position my shoulders and neck.  Most are very simple, yet very beneficial.  Breathing from the diaphragm is helpful for core strength.  Using the diaphragm allows deeper breaths and better posture.  Remembering to sit and stand erect as if there is a string pulling my head straight up to the ceiling.  Squeezing shoulder blades together while leaning against the outer corner of wall.  Pushing each shoulder against a towel along the edge of a wall corner, while keeping my body straight.  Multiple hand flex and finger coordination exercises, some using play-doh type putty…. I always liked play-doh!  There are strength exercises to help maintain my upper arm muscles, as they are least affected by the nerve damage.  These are more isometric, not using any weights.  The weights dramatically increase my stinging paresthesia pain and what I call “bee stings” in fingers/hand.  The PT manual manipulation is incredible… she is able to get down into the tissue, with very little pressure, but so exact in positioning that it has already helped loosen my bound shoulder from my neck.  Amazing.  She gets into my neck/head at just a couple points, and it makes a huge beneficial difference.   Learning again how to use leg muscles that haven’t been used properly in quite some time is a big challenge, and probably the most physically demanding. The entire plan will be brought home to continue.  Suggestions on therapists at home were even provided, based on their completed levels of training and knowledge.  Goals of feeling better and enhancing quality of life are being met.

Learning to sleep on my back is still taking time to get used to – sleeping in a hotel bed isn’t helping either – back sleeping is best because it opens your chest for better breathing, and helps keep the shoulders stretched out, much better for back health.  Its important to use a flat head pillow, and be sure to place it above the shoulders, so it isn’t pushing your shoulders forward.  Placing pillows under the legs helps keep the natural curve of your back.  Once you are in a comfortable position, there should not be much movement through the night.  A long restful sleep – what a concept?!  Sleeping on your side can cause the shoulders to fold inward, allowing them get into the position that only encourages them to want to stay that way – binding the scar tissue/fibrosis even tighter.  

Two more days of therapy and learning to go – then I head home to continue on this path of rehab and QOL goals.  This has been incredible – thanks to the MSKCC rehab medical staff – thanks to my life partner – thanks to my supportive friends who came on this journey with me - thanks to the internet for providing so much knowledge at my fingertips, and connecting new friends for support and knowledge sharing….. let’s see, who is that?  Al Gore???  LOL

More to come after I get home and have the results of my MRIs.

Stay strong,
Cindy
Breast Cancer Survivor
Diagnosed 11/17/05
100% Estrogen Positive
Hodgkins Disease S

CindyGraeff
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Thursday, September 08, 2011 4:53 PM
MSKCC Rehab - 4th Installment
It's been a couple weeks since I've left my new friends at Dr Stubblefield's Cancer Rehab Center.  I was able to speak with Dr Stubblefield on the morning prior to leaving NYC.  He talked to me about the MRIs I had earlier in the week.  The total spine MRI showed no additional cancer or tumor activity.  I do have moderate to severe stenosis at L2-L3 and severe stenosis at L3-L4.  This is what affects my lower legs/feet/toes with weakness, pain and numbness/tingling.  The MRI of my Brachial Plexus did not show any additional cancer or tumor activity.  It did show that the bottom 3rd portion (nerves leading to the hand/fingers) has been severely burned/damaged by radiation.  The middle portion (nerves leading to the forearm/wrist) have also been severely burned/damaged by radiation.  The upper portion (nerves leading to the shoulder/upper arm) has been burned/damaged, but not severely.  From the elbow to fingers will continue to  get worse with pain, numbness, tingling, and muscle atrophy.  Eventually becoming nothing more than a dangling appendage.  Time frame is an unknown factor.  The upper arm, should potentially remain stronger, allowing movement to some degree.  It's not the best of news, but at least confirms all that has been occurring over the years, and more so over the past 12 months.  Dr Stubblefield told me that my Brachial Plexus radiation damage was the worst he has yet to see... Overall radiation fibrosis throughout the neck and chest areas was also abundant.  He said that my individual case shows just how radiation treatments can damage.  In particular, the Hodgkins mantle treatments of the 80's, followed by Breast Cancer overlapping radiation.  He said that he is going to change his presentation and related MRI slides at his upcoming conference to use my case, because it clearly shows the long term affects of the damage caused by the radiation.  He told me that i am an incredibly strong woman, for he understands the results on every day life of this type of damage.  He said to be able to do as much as I force myself to do is amazing in itself.  This somewhat embarrassed me, and at the same time gave me more strength.  I have always done what I have to do to endure and hang onto quality of life.  The same as we all do.  It's never ever been easy as all of you who have had these same symptoms well know.  It felt good because finally, a medical professional who actually knows what the hell has happened, and understands what the hell we actually have, and doesn't look at me with that "deer in the headlights I don't know what to tell you" look. He also reached out to my oncologist here in TX to discuss. She in turn told him she will discuss with her radiology partners.  Going forward, the more they understand the long term effects of overlapping radiation fields for patients with prior mantle radiation, the more consideration they can give to the individualized treatment plan.  And the more they can give to the patient for combined Dr/patient decisions on their treatment plan.  I was at my oncologist this week for my 5th year "cancer-versary" from end of treatments.  November 17th is my 6th year from diagnosis mark.  We talked specifically about the findings of my MSKCC visit, and her discussion with Dr Stubblefield.  She was grateful for his call and indicated the new information was beneficial for her and the radiologist for treatments on patients with prior Hodgkins radiation.  YAY!!  Finally, recognition from the oncologist world!  That alone is a huge leap in the right direction.
By the way, my overall visit with the oncologist was good! No obvious signs of recurrence.... A little lab work, and I was dismissed for 1 year!  That's a HUGE step!
Now, I continue with the PT/OT plan established by the MSKCC Rehab group.  I still have, and will continue to have, the intense nerve pain, and constant paresthesia 24/7.... That does not go away, or get better - no magic pill or treatment.  I totally get the severity of my condition, and know it can't be fixed.
The entire journey to MSKCC was well worth the time, cost, EMG pain, and exhaustion endured.   The last day there, I hugged Dr Stubblefield, and cried.  Same thing with the PT/OT staff.
My anticipated results were - and the RESULTS
1. A clear understanding of what damage has occurred - CHECK
2. What to expect going forward. - CHECK
3. An actual plan of action - CHECK.
4. Physical therapy to help with range of motion.  - CHECK
5. Occupational Therapy to help with day to day life adjustments beyond what I've taught myself. - CHECK
6. Pain/paresthesia relief. - UNFORTUNATELY NO
7. A better outlook on quality of life. - CHECK
Overall, SUCCESS!

Stay Strong,
Cindy
Breast Cancer Survivor
Diagnosed 11/17/05
100% Estrogen Positive
Hodgkins Disease S

CindyGraeff
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Wednesday, November 09, 2011 2:02 PM
Wanted to share some YouTube video posted by Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, featuring Dr Michael Stubblefield.  He is describing Radiation Induced Fibrosis, and Radiation Induced Brachial Plexopathy issues for Hodgkins Disease, Head & Neck Cancers, Breast Cancers, and Sarcoma survivors.  Very well done - you'll find these to be easy to understand.  Dr Stubblefield is who I went to specifically see in NYC at MSKCC in August 2011.  My previous installments in this forum were focused on that 2 week visit with him and his PT/OT staff.  This is good stuff!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xumJojH94Ts&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvZJKNtNXXc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp5PGCUYRdE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dczzQxAaLYQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Stay Strong,
Cindy

Breast Cancer Survivor
Diagnosed 11/17/05
100% Estrogen Positive
Hodgkins Disease S

Anna Rae
  • Total Posts : 422
  • Reward points : 5940
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:04 PM
Cindy,

I'm happy for you checking off the items on your list. I also read back through your posts on this thread, WOW! 

Best of everything to you!
Love,
Anna Rae
Like Jerry said, What a long, strange trip it's been... 

DCIS Stage 0, Right Side Unilateral Mastectomy -  May 14, 2010
HER2+ BC Stage 3C, Right Side Lymph Nodes - 6 Months Later
End of Tx, June 8, 2012
NED - July 5, 2012

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annaraebamberggilder

Anna Rae

cdicapua
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points : 6290
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:50 PM
I am so sorry for your pain. I also worried about radiation therapy and chemo.  The long term effect could be awful. But like you said you are in the war to win whatever it takes
Cathy DiCapua
mammogram 8/19
dx 9/4
DCIS
Mucinous carcenoma stage 1 a, bilateral mas/w recon 10/19 , Letrozole for 5 yrs

cdicapua
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:53 PM
i am also a patient at Sloan I feel very confident in my drs
Cathy DiCapua
mammogram 8/19
dx 9/4
DCIS

cdicapua
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 4:48 PM
Cindy Thank You for your post, I chose bilateral mast No radiation or chemo, just letrozole for 5 yrs the side effects are hot flashes, elavated liver enzymes and bone loss, I have severe joint pain and and my wrist , ankle or right ringer will swell to the point that i get black and blue and than go just go away leaving just the black and blue. I had osteo arthritis for 15 yrs never a problem , I am on letrozole for 1 yr. I am also not complaining and the oncologist clearly told me about bone pain and loss. Just wanted to put my side effects out there as well. I can live with all the discomfort and am grateful for the current treatment and options.
Cathy DiCapua
mammogram 8/19
dx 9/4
DCIS

msamy034
  • Total Posts : 69
  • Reward points : 2435
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Thursday, January 03, 2013 7:02 AM
Wow-thank you for your post. I, too, am experiencing the prickly, stinging, electric type feelings in my arms and legs. I chalked it up to side effects. I will discuss it with my onco later this month. I stopped the Tamoxifen for now to see if it makes a difference.

I have 'vein pain' where the chemo was administered and collapsed my vein ( I did not have a port)-will that ever go away? They can only draw blood from my left hand now and unless I get an experienced person, it is an awful experience.

I have had acupuncture in the past for other issues and will definitely look into getting insurance approval to get more.

Amy G
IDC and ILC right breast, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Diagnosed 2/7/12
Lumpectomy + 4 nodes (neg) 3/13/12
Chemo started 4/12/12; ended 6/14/12
Radiation completed 8/2/12 
Tamoxifen and Effexor started 8/15/12  
Switched to Arimidex, added Lupron shots and increased Effexor 1/31/13     
7/2/13 heading back to surgeon to get tested for possible IBC :(

karey
  • Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Monday, January 07, 2013 12:33 AM
I developed peripheral neuropathy after my very first dose of taxol. It quickly spread to both my feet and my left hand but never affected my right hand.

I never noticed it intensify during radiation treatment and in fact, it seemed to be diminishing a year later. In December of 2009, it had left my hand and was reduced to some patchy areas on my feet. I was hopeful it might go away altogether but shortly before midnight on December 10, 2009, I had a cerebral aneurysm rupture and had a subarchnoid hemorrhage and a stroke. I was asleep when it happened but fortunately my husband wasn't yet and he quickly realized something was horribly wrong.

When my memory started to come back a week later, I remember wondering why my feet were tightly wrapped and bound. I looked down at them and discovered they weren't! The neuropathy had returned with a vengeance while it diminished a bit, it has been in both my feet and my left hand from then on.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes just after completing radiation in August 2008. When the ruptured occurred, my husband said my blood sugar went crazy and though I wasn't on meds at the time yet, they had to give me insulin in the hospital for more than a week. So I have no doubt that diabetes played a role in it as well. The thing is I had a lot of bloodwork done prior to chemo and at that time, I was not a diabetic or even borderline so it is pretty certain that the neuropathy was chemo-induced but aggravated by the fact that I developed diabetes and then worsened after the SAH.
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!

brezinabnam
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Sunday, July 28, 2013 3:29 PM
I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer at the age of 35, now almost a year later, I am still having nerve problems. I have the tingling, the numbness, the feeling that my shoulders/neck are on fire. I also have recurring dizzy spells that just suddenly come on without no warning. Sometimes, it even hurts to move. I was told that I have peripheral neuropathy. I haven't worked since having a double mastectomy and don't think I will be able to back to work when school starts again. I have filed for disability. On top of all that, my cancer is Estrogen based so I will have to have a hysterectomy in the near future. I was wandering if anybody else has had peripheral neuropathy this bad. Did you all return to work? I feel all these decisions are all on me and I'm so confused. Thank you

BBBBOOTS
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 3515
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Wednesday, October 02, 2013 1:19 PM
Cindy -

I am so sorry you have had so many distressing side effects.  Talk about bad luck - neuropathy due to chemo, heart damage due to chemo and RIBP.  Could your previous treatment for Hodgkin's have made you more vunerable (not that you could do anything about it)?  I was told you could only receive rad once.  Anyway, I am sorry that you have had to suffer so much.

I am very thankful, however, that you have taken the time to discuss your condition on this board. I think I also have RIBP, and have had a huge problem finding anyone that knows anything about it, let alone be able to treat it. 

I was dx with breast cancer 10/11.  I had mastectomy 10/11, chemo 11/11 - 3/12 and rads 03/12 - 05/12.  I had 3 tumors, once of whcih was 2.5 cm.  The tumors were triple neg, grade 3/3, and grew in between mammograms (surgeon guessed in about 6 - 8 mos).  All the tumors were very close to the chest wall, so to get clean margins, the surgeon had to remove a lot of tissue.  I think he even removed the muscle fascia.  Therefore, I have a deep "divot" in my chest with just a thin covering over the ribs. 

The rad dosimetrist told me that the doctor expected me to have a bad reaction to rad as I had "nothing there" to protect me.  I had 33 rad tx and devoped a huge, deep, draining wound.  I had to take 2 weeks off of work because I could not wear any clothes on top.  It seemed to heal fine, but about 3 mos after rad was done my chest and armpit became hard.  I noticed also that I had dcreased range of motion and was unable to do some things without help.  I also began to have significant pain in my chest, shoulder, arm, armpit and neck.  The pain was of three types: 1) an electrical shocking stinging type pain that started in my chest or armpit and at times traveled down my arm to my hand: 2) a painful
sensation of being stabbed in the back of my arm; and 3) a deep aching pain mostly in my shoulder and armpit. 

When all this began interfereing with my work and requiring several doses of pain killers a day, I knew I had to do something.  My rad onc sent me for PT.  I had about 5 months of wkly myofascial release (very painful at times).  He also sent me to a Rehab Dr.  She stated she doubted I would ever have normal ROM in my shoulder and nothing could be done about it.  Her only suggestion was gabapentin (Lyrica) for the pain.

The PT decreased the hardness a lot, but did not do much for the pain.  I decided to stop it after about 5 months (it was very expensive).  I learned to avoid certain movements and to avoid moving my arm repetively, as both of these would bring on pain.  I managed for about 4 - 5 months, then everything started to worsen.  Presently I will get pain (slight to severe) when I rest my elbow on the table, sleep on the affected side, drive, put on my coat, reach above my head, reach behind me, and move my arm repetitively  I still have decreased ROM and my arm is weak.  I have recently developed a new kind of pain - a sharp sudden pain in my shoulder or chest that feels like a cramp.  I also sleep poorly, as I am often awaked by pain.  Every doctor and therapist I have seen has told me the cause of my problem is scarred muscles and nerves, but, other than meds, they have no ideas of what to do.

I am presently seeing a massage therapist qowk for scar mobilization.  I figured might as well try it as no one else knows what to do, and it is much cheaper than PT.  I can only take gabapentin occas and in small doses, as it turns me into a zombie.  I used to swim for exercise and scuba dive, but can not do either now.  I understand I had a nasty agressive cancer that needed heavy-duty treatment.  I know I might never be able to use my arm the same way I did before.  But, come on, not being able to drive or dress myself?  That seems ridiculous.

By the way, I researched RIBP and diagnosed myself.  I have not dared to tell any of my doctors as I think they will be miffed.  I also have lymphedema and wear a compression sleeve.  Sorry to make this so long, but wanted lots of details there for others to see and  recognize (I hope).  Has any one had any luck treating this distressing condition?  I saw the suggestion for acupuncture, will likely try that next if there are no other suggestions.

Hang in there Cindy and all my other strong sisters,
bbbboots

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 21 to 40 of 63