Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 And Life Goes ON: Daily Support
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 10 of 27, messages 91 to 100 of 267
farla

• Total Posts : 624
  • Reward points : 6720
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Tuesday, June 05, 2012 6:22 PM
What FB group? Anyone want to friend me on it?
Farla
dx 8/09, R double lumpectomy, invasive mixed DCIS/LCIS
ER + PR + Her -
1/3 Sentinel pos. 1/15 nodes pos
 Stage 2A  Grade 2, Nottingham 6
chemo A/C x4, Taxol x 4 started 9/21/09 DONE!!!
femara  started 2/5/10
rads  2/8/10 DONE!!!
Now - osteoporosis?  Vit D, calcium, and a baby aspirin to boot!
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:53 AM
Farla I think Sharon means the Pink sister Posse started by Deb Weaver and I thought you were in it already but will add you now!:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
farla

• Total Posts : 624
  • Reward points : 6720
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:48 PM
Thanks, I'm there!
Farla
dx 8/09, R double lumpectomy, invasive mixed DCIS/LCIS
ER + PR + Her -
1/3 Sentinel pos. 1/15 nodes pos
 Stage 2A  Grade 2, Nottingham 6
chemo A/C x4, Taxol x 4 started 9/21/09 DONE!!!
femara  started 2/5/10
rads  2/8/10 DONE!!!
Now - osteoporosis?  Vit D, calcium, and a baby aspirin to boot!
marianwolf

• Total Posts : 209
  • Reward points : 8850
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Monday, June 18, 2012 6:53 AM

Hi all,  I found this posting on a cancer blog and, at least for me, it spoke right to my heart. Credit goes to a lady named Stacy.  I'm passing it along here - even though it's lengthy - b/c it might speak to others:

What Happens After the "Cure"
At the time of diagnosis, often times a patient becomes very emotional, or very detached (of course there are degrees in between). Many people tend to take their diagnosis at face value, and place their treatment in the hands of a doctor. They are often too emotional to take charge.

The detached will start forming a game plan. They research, ask questions, and become an active participant in their treatment. They also tend to unconsciously put emotions on the back burner. They are so incredibly busy “staging the battle” that the thought of dealing with emotions doesn’t even cross their mind.

As part of “staging the battle”, many patients also rally the troops. Patients find themselves surrounded with family and friends. All of them relaying stories about their great aunt, UncleJoe, and their cousin’s boyfriend who went through the same thing and were just fine. Sometimes, the opposite is true, and people will shy away because they do not know what to say or how to act. This is a very precarious time, because the way you respond to your family and friends is the way they will respond back to you when you need them the most.

It seems that in the diagnosis stage of an illness, there is a lot of confusion. It’s a little like putting together a puzzle. A puzzle that is written in medical terms, and the lay person does not understand it. Everyone is hearing terminology that they have never heard before, and nothing seems to make sense. Once those pieces of the puzzle start fitting together, there comes a sense of acceptance.

The treatment phase of an illness is the busiest time. This is when the patient’s support team becomes invaluable. The patient has doctor visits, possible surgeries, children to take care of, meals to cook, and medications to take that may not allow them to do these things. New issues arise such as how much to tell the family. The consequences of not telling them the whole truth may create new problems later on. Patients may feel the need to force themselves to do too much, which not only delays the healing process, but could also give off the impression that they are doing much better than they actually are.

Anyone who has ever gone through a serious illness has probably been told that they are “so strong,” when in fact, that strength has been mistaken for a patient’s need to not inflict any more emotional pain on those surrounding them. As a result, the patient might find themselves telling people less and less of what is happening, causing the people around them to back away.  For some, treatment may go on for years, and dealing with it is a delicate balancing act.

After the so called “cure,” the “troops” start backing away, going back to their regular lives. All the emotions the patient unconsciously left on the back burner during treatment are now coming out ten fold. This is the point where the patient discovers the toll that the illness has taken on their life and their family.

Before and during a treatment, the patient has so many people by their side - doctors, family, friends.. but afterwards, they can be left feeling isolated and alone. Add that to the fact that the so called “cure” might not be, and you have a recipe for major depression. Life does not necessarily resume. There may still be medical issues that require treatment, and there is always the possibility of failure.

Dealing with an illness of any kind requires a multi-faceted approach. The patient must be treated as a whole including mind, body, and spirit.

Marian 

DX June 20, 2011
IDC, E+P-, HER2-, Ki67 49%
Lumpectomy 7/26/11 & 8/23/11   
Lymph nodes clear!   
BRCA 1-/2-
Stage 1, Grade III 
Oncotype: 36%
Taxotere/Cytoxn 1 2 3 4 12/12/11
33 Rads completed 3/16/12
Start Arimidex 3/17/12    

[link=http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Monday, June 18, 2012 9:06 PM
Marion:

Thank you.  I didn't realize how true this really is.  I reread it twice and found myself in several of the paragraphs.

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:15 PM
 I agree Marian and love the last paragraph and have always believed the emotional aspects of this disease are over looked   far too often by our Dr's but thankfully this is beginning to change albeit slowly!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:25 PM
Marian, Thanks for posting this....I do think that many of our dr don't understand the emotion's we feel knowing that with 1 bit of bad luck we could be fighting for our lives for the rest of our lives. Bad enough when our families don't get it....but when our dr's don't get it it is pretty lonely and very scary.
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-
annette53160

• Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 8995
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:31 AM
Tough day living life today......a friend is on her last days due to this terrible disease and I am not taking it well at all.  Life does go on but crap....can't we find a cure for this gosh darn illness sooner rather than later?!
IDC October 2009
Lumpectomy x2 to get clear margins
Stage 2a Grade 3
1/11 nodes positive 
er+
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol
Radiation
Femara
ElaineQW

• Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:03 AM
I agree with Marian as well - it is alway better to treat the whole person - body, mind, spirit.  The doctor taking care of the body, can only do so much about the mind and spirit, no matter how kind and understanding they might be.  We need additional personnel to meet the needs of the mind and spirit and I guess that is what some cancer centers try to do via the support groups they offer.  Nonetheless, even those groups are not individualized and some of us might need individual attention. This is more difficult for the medical community to provide and usually it falls to the patient to find help.

Hug
Elaine
 A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:45 AM
I was diagnosed in what were still the "Dark Ages" as far as talking openly about cancer was concerned. It was just starting to get better because of Nancy Reagan's diagnosis putting bc on the map. But I was just very lucky that I lived in a place (good old California) that tended to be more open to things like the mind-body connection. There was a therapist, a woman who was a two-time cancer survivor, who started The Cancer Wellness Program. David and I attended for about 8 or 10 weeks, and we did everything from art therapy to meditation and guided visualization. For someone like me, who lives in her brain and tends to look for information rather than inspiration, it was a life saver. I truly believe that it started me on a path to healing that I would not have found had I not been introduced to the idea of treating the whole person. I will be eternally grateful to Sandy Kahn and the Cancer Wellness Program. 
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 10 of 27, messages 91 to 100 of 267

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll