Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 And Life Goes ON: Daily Support
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 3 of 27, messages 21 to 30 of 267
ElaineQW

• Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:10 PM

Sharonma - I don't recall the title of Hay's book, but I was completely stunned when I read that paragraph; and if I remember correctly, it was JUST a paragraph devoted to CANCER!  Arghhhh!!!!

Hug
Elaine
 A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:50 PM
I think the Hay book is You Can Heal Your Life.  Someone gave me Bernie Siegel's Love, Medicine and Miracles right after my diagnosis. It was good for me because I tend to approach things very cerebrally, and the book is more spiritual. However, he made that same assertion about attracting cancer to ourselves, which I thought then and still think now is a bunch of b.s.  That was enough to ruin the book for me. 
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
sharonma

• Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:23 PM
The book I was thinking of is Your Body Speaks Your Mind, by Deb Shapiro, filled with just as much bs.  It was given to me by a friend who has since died of bc.  But please listen to this crap...
"Many studies have shown that women with bc have developed a tendency toward repressed anger often masked by extra niceness and self sacrifice, while feeling unsupported, inhibited in their sexuality, and unresolved in their conflicts."   And it goes on.  I can't seem to insert the screaming angry smiley, but picture it here
<message edited by sharonma on Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:24 PM>
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:39 PM
Sheesh! Sharon, that smacks of other such "theories"--such as autism is caused by the mother's withholding love from the child, and other fairly tales. Gee, I'd like to show Ms. Shapiro what some unrepressed anger looks like!
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
ElaineQW

• Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:45 PM

Rena/Sharonma -  Hard to believe these were written by women!  Oh, well, I guess I'd better get back to my self-sacrifice (I'm playing Wii with Andreas), my sexual inhibitions (smirk) and my unresolved conflicts (what should I wear to Lucas' birthday dinner tonight - casual or a dressy?).

Hug(s) 
Elaine
 A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:29 PM
Lol ladies, its good to read so many of us can still see the fun and joy in life despite the sad feelings that have been posted and I agree with Sharon's assumption that there are many strong women here and BC has not managed to beat down!

As to the Hays theory I too think this is crap, thats akin to attaching blame to a person for getting the disease, I can't think of anything worse or more dismal a thing to say other than a smoker deserved lung cancer!

Anyway getting back to the earlier thoughts and posts I really am so sorry there are so many ladies here feeling saddness and having other issue's with their bodies since having a mast, I did'nt have this op so really cannot put myself where you are but my heart tells me you're all beautiful inside from reading your thoughts and I think the only solution is to accept yourself outside which I hope will happen more easily as time goes on and bring you all a sense of peace. (Easier said than done of course!!)  Sadly none of us asked for this and many have already been lost that we knew, but I think overall we are gaining strides on this disease and perhaps the women of tomorrow will one day not have to face these issue's as many of us do.Pals
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
farla

• Total Posts : 624
  • Reward points : 6720
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:52 PM
Hi, I am glad I didn't read any of those books. I kept to graphic novels (Cancer Vixen was OK) and happier stuff - try Crazy Sexy Cancer, much more hopeful! We all go through feeling of guilt - yep those 2 joints I smoked in junior high gave me cancer - and we don't need those books to make it worse.
Farla
dx 8/09, R double lumpectomy, invasive mixed DCIS/LCIS
ER + PR + Her -
1/3 Sentinel pos. 1/15 nodes pos
 Stage 2A  Grade 2, Nottingham 6
chemo A/C x4, Taxol x 4 started 9/21/09 DONE!!!
femara  started 2/5/10
rads  2/8/10 DONE!!!
Now - osteoporosis?  Vit D, calcium, and a baby aspirin to boot!
Rose Cafe523

• Total Posts : 2653
  • Reward points : 6385
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:23 PM
This post isn't always about being down but if that is where you are that is ok.  I fluctuate being from down to being ok.  I just like to beable to say somewhere,  that is what is going on and be honest with my feelings.  I think with this diagnosis we should be able to be more honest with our feelings and recognize that we aren't always down or always UP.  I think being able to release those feelings both ways is healthy for us. 
   Glad you girls are talking and hope this helps and you continue to do so.  I know I need it and will. 
Rose
 Pink Impacts Forever
5-23-06 DCIS High Grade
Strong family history BC/OVCA
denied(lost appeals)out of network surgery
10-30-06 BM SICA left,DIEP right
Nodes Neg No chemo or rads 
Revisions along with LAVH/BSO/TVT 1-23-08
Biopsies x 3 10/20/08,neg
Bone scan 2/23/11 spot on R frontal and occiptal bone
PET/CT scan 3/4/11 negative
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:12 AM
Rose:

I agree.  There are days where I have so much to be thankful for and then there are other days where I reflect on what has happened and the uncertainty of the future.  I struggle with the "tightrope" that I seem to be on but I do feel that it isn't as thin as it once was.  I've learned to put on a "mask" to people so that when their words hurt they truly do not see that they have gotten to me.  I won't give anyone that satisfaction.  I prefer to walk away but there have been times lately that I haven't been able to walk away and that is when I am not so tolerant.

I've lost my breasts and I am okay with it.  They were big, heavy and caused my back to hurt.  One had to go and the other just "tagged" along. I thought I would be more in shock when I saw the incisions after the surgery but I was fine.  The doctor's were surprised that I could look without tears or shock.

Everyday is a new day.  There are and will always be people in my life that will never understand everything that I have gone through.  They still don't understand why I still need to see the oncologist and plastic surgeon.  Oh well.

Ladies:  Keep a cheery thought and try to focus on the good things.  Cancer is an evil thing and the more that we think about it the more power it has over us.  I for one and going to try to follow my own advice.  Again--I said try.  

Now I must run.  Time to deal with other stressful things in my life like my coworkers. lol.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Rose Cafe523

• Total Posts : 2653
  • Reward points : 6385
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:15 PM
Hi ladies~
    Our weather is so erratic lately.  We have had warmer days than we normally do that has spoiled us.  I would love it to continue as it sure helps with the mood and being able to get outside!! 
      I am trying to keep busy crocheting, doing a little redecorating, making some plans in hopes that my youngest daughter and granddaughter make it here at least for a visit in May from France.  That has its own long story that I won't go in to here.  Just that I try to skype my daugher when my "son in law" is not around. 
     I have to find a way to lose some weight and  get my blood pressure down.  Losing some stress would help.  I am telling myself I am keeping my appt with onc this month no matter what.  Just have to get past it and decide what to do about getting a new one or something.  My job seems to be getting more stressful.  The health care field may be a "stable" job at this time, but they have added so many stressors and expectations, domcumentation, etc  that many of you would not realize the stress it has added and less time for individual care time.  
    Ok, enough of that.  Think I am running out of artificial tattoos.  Must order some more soon.  At least they make me feela little more normal occasionally.  
Rose 
 Pink Impacts Forever
5-23-06 DCIS High Grade
Strong family history BC/OVCA
denied(lost appeals)out of network surgery
10-30-06 BM SICA left,DIEP right
Nodes Neg No chemo or rads 
Revisions along with LAVH/BSO/TVT 1-23-08
Biopsies x 3 10/20/08,neg
Bone scan 2/23/11 spot on R frontal and occiptal bone
PET/CT scan 3/4/11 negative
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 3 of 27, messages 21 to 30 of 267