Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 3 Years Later
Sybaris

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 6850
3 Years Later - Saturday, December 30, 2017 11:08 AM
You can find my wife's story in "Introductions" but it is incomplete. In a nutshell she had several options but went the most radical route and had a double mastectomy that removed the internal tissue. No chemo, no radiation was required. Reconstruction went very well as it required only one procedure for the implants. A couple days ago she asked me to look at a mole on her back. She has had this mole since she was a child. Actually it is more like a wart than a mole. I hadn't consciously looked at it in 10 years but it did seem like it had grown. It's not discolored, just a little bigger. A Dr. had asked her years ago to have it removed but she declined. To me it's just gotten bigger because well, she is 55 and I have had similar growths that I have had since childhood that have enlarged over time. I have had them removed though. Regardless, she is now convinced her cancer is back because her oncologist told her that a sign that it has returned is if she has unexplained back pain. Again, she is 55, I'm 54 and wake up with my whole body aching, have since I was in my 40's. I'm not trying to marginalize her concerns and I know she should just go to the Dr. and get checked out but this is a symptom of a larger issue, worry. She is a natural incessant worrier, she hardly sleeps due to all the things she worries about and 99% have nothing to do with her illness. I had suggested a couple years ago that she join a survivor group and talk these things through with others who have had her experience but that wasn't happening. I don't know what to do and I'm afraid her pre-occupation with this is going to get worse. Any suggestions are most appreciated.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19221
  • Reward points : 14910
Re:3 Years Later - Saturday, December 30, 2017 3:08 PM
Hi Sybaris,

The forums here are very quiet since we set up our closed group on Facebook so you may not get many replies. If you're on Facebook this is where you'll find us. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1588741974737166/?ref=bookmarks

I agree your wife needs to see a Dr and have a scan, and also a dermatologist, she needs to have this issue's checked for peace of mind. It's a shame she isn't taking better care of her health having come through breast cancer.  It sounds like her Onc is not that postitive either so another opinion if possible may help.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
karey

• Total Posts : 558
  • Reward points : 14030
Re:3 Years Later - Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:21 PM
Sybaris,

Reading your post reminded me of of the time I found a raised discoloration on my left thigh. I was a few years out from cancer treatment and when I found it, I felt like I had been sent sprawling to the ground. 

I was really scared to get it looked at so I understand a bit about your wife's reaction. What finally got me to go in was the memory of what the radiologist told me after doing my biopsy. She leaned over me, took my hand and said the type of tumor I had was almost always cancer but then she told me to remember something. If it was cancer, it had been found and they could do their best to do something about it!

I realized "hiding" wasn't going to do me any good. If the news was bad, at least attempts would be made to get me healthy again whereas doing nothing would, well, do nothing for me.

I also realized that I could be worrying about nothing and that was not good for me either. So, I gritted my teeth and went in to have my doctor take a look at it. She noted it and took measurements as well so there would be an accurate record of it in my file. She though it was benign but due to my history had someone else take a look at it. He thought it looked benign as well but once again, due to my history of cancer recommended that I get a biopsy just to be sure. It was benign. 

I'd also like to say that I have a few moles from childhood. Early on my oncologist measured them so that if I think they have grown or changed shape, he has a baseline so that we will know for sure. I think that's a good idea. 
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll