Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Triple Negative-How are you doing?
Change Page: << < ..121122123124125126127128129130.. > | Showing page 123 of 135, messages 1221 to 1230 of 1341
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:46 AM
Hi and welcome,

This forum can be quiet at times so if you don't get many replies just copy your intro to the introduce yourself forum so more people will see it and say hi!

Triple neg can be aggressive but also responds to chemo better than us positive's so its not all bad news and we have a few long term triple neg survivors here, I'm sure they'll offer you some reassurance on that.   Regarding the lymph nodes, although this is the usual way cancer spreads it can also spread through the bloodstream but its rare, and it sounds like you're doing all you can to ensure a good prognosis so hold that thought!!:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
karey

• Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, December 09, 2011 11:24 PM
Welcome Dawn! My name is Kathy. I am not here very much now as I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm and stroke two years ago and am dealing with those issues more.

However, I pop in now and then. I noticed your diagnosis is almost identical to mine. Stage 2a with no lymph node involvement. My tumor was 3.5 cm, just a bit bigger than yours. I opted to do a lumpectomy. The chemo drugs were the same except mine was dose dense. I did four rounds  of a/c every two weeks instead of three, didn't get to "rest" but I only did four rounds of taxol, every two weeks. After a "rest" for four weeks, I did 33 rounds of radiation.

I was diagnosed in December 2007 so I am now four years out from diagnosis and nearly three and a half years post treatment. I do not have blood work done. My oncologist feels that there are a lot of false alarms out there. Yes, I do the mammograms and I see him regularly. My primary doctor also keeps a very close eye on me as well.

One thing that makes me feel better is that when I had the brain aneurysm rupture in my sleep (almost two years to the date of my diagnosis) they did a lot of scans on me. Especially since when I was taken into the hospital emergency room, no one had the slightest idea what had happened to me. It was comforting to later know that nothing unusual was showing up in regards to cancer at least.

I talked to my oncologist just last month about the very issue you brought up. While no lymph node involvement was detected, there is always that little nagging thought about ... what if...

While he did not deny the possibility of recurrence, he did talk to me about quality of life. At this point there is no evidence of any tumors returning and so I try to live each day to the fullest and remember that each day is a gift to me.

I try to do the things I know to do, laugh more, love more, give more and even take more time for me. Due to my brain issues, I had to go on a medical leave of absence and was granted disability this past fall. The loss of income has been a huge challenge but each day, we are making it and I am viewing the disability as yet another new chapter in my life. To tell you the truth, I really do like puttering around the house for during our 30 years of marriage I was pretty much either a student or working (with a four month break in there when my son was small).

And so we persevere. More and more of us are surviving without recurrence. More and more of us are surviving for years when there is a recurrence. Yes, we triple negs only have surgery, chemo and rads to rely on but on the other hand, we often respond very well to those things.

When I first learned I was a triple negative, I cried. Then I talked to my oncologist and realized that the picture was not quite as dismal as I thought. I discovered that some long-term survivors on this site are triple negatives as well and that has given me a lot of hope!
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!
Nuzzys Nana

• Total Posts : 4498
  • Reward points : 10085
Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, December 09, 2011 11:36 PM
I did not have any lymph node involvement. However, there was invasion into the lymph/blood vessels. That meant that the tumor had the means to travel but did not, at least it did not reach the lymph nodes. One reason for chemo is to eradicate any tiny stray cells that may have entered the blood stream.

It has been over six years since my diagnosis. I believe I was cured by the surgery and the chemo was insurance.

Lumpectomy 4/14/05 at age 69
Stage 1, 2cm, Node Negative
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
BRCA2 positive (It's always something!)
No Family History
ClarieSue

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 55
Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, October 04, 2012 3:29 PM
Hello, I'm Clare & just joined "the club".  Looking for support, information and encouragement.  I feel that I knew inside that some time this would happen to me as my Mom survived 2 occurrences of BC in the early 1970's with radical mastectomies and radiation.  I have gotten through  BL mastectomy & expanders very well - I think the expander fills were more uncomfortable than the surgery.  My daughter is scheduled for genetic counseling the end of the month.  BRCA1+ and TN, I feel fortunate to have discovered this early at Stage 1a via routine mammo which I've always been diligent about.  Started T/C DD chemo on 9/25 which I guess I'm tolerating fairly well, and am 1/4 through!  I have a wonderful husband of 32 years, family, friends and colleagues who are extremely supportive.
Clare from Colorado age 52
DX: 7/30/12, BRCA1+, TN IDC, 1.5cm, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, Stage 1a
BM 8/28/12 w/ expanders
T/C 4 DD 9/12 to 11/12 in progress
Plan for perm implants & Oophorectomy 12/12

Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, October 04, 2012 3:50 PM
Hello Clare,I'm not triple neg but just wanted to say hi and know some of the other ladies will reply to you soon, the sites been fairly quiet of late which is no doubt a good sign as maybe less people are being dx with this!! I'm so pleased it was found early, I also had an oopherectomy as a preventative measure and it was the easiest surgery I ever had and I have no regrets at all. I'm sure you'll be fine too, good luck with the chemo and how wonderful for your Mom to survive this twice!:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Nuzzys Nana

Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, October 04, 2012 5:07 PM
Hello Clare,

I am writing to let you know that I finished my last treatment 7/1/2  years ago and am enjoying my life. I kept both breasts and all "three of us" are hanging in there. LOL.
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
No Family History
karey

• Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:10 PM
Hi Clare,

I don't get on here very much. I had a cerebral aneurysm rupture in my sleep two years after I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer. I suffered a stroke then as well so I've really been dodging the bullets over the past four, nearly five years.

I had a lumpectomy, dose-dense chemo (four rounds of adriamycin/cytoxin and four rounds of taxol) and radiation. I finished rads on 8/20/08. My tumor was 3.5 cm and I was stage 2a. There was no lymph node involvement.

Despite some other issues related to my subarachnoid hemorrhage which led to long term disability, I am doing well and like Nuzzys Nana, am enjoying my life.

I remember when I was diagnosed, my oncologist said to me that the bad news was there were not any drugs for me to take for the next five years after completing chemo and rads. Then he said the good news was that there were no drugs for me to take or side-effects to deal with. Treatment was done.

People generally hear about the "negative" things about being a triple negative but few people talk about how it often responds very well to chemo and while your risk of recurrence is higher over the first three years or so, it actually drops rather dramatically after that time.
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!
crissio

• Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 650
Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, December 21, 2012 5:31 PM
It's been 7 years for me.  I had lumpectomy, lymph node biopsy, chemo and radiation.  I have had lots of health problems since, but have remained cancer free.  
Nuzzys Nana

Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, December 21, 2012 11:33 PM
It has been over 71/2 years for me. I am feeling great and just welcomed my second grandson. My only other one is an 11 year old boy so I was ready for a new challenge.

I wish all of us a healthy New Year!!!!!
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
No Family History
Gail Srebnik

• Total Posts : 2565
  • Reward points : 10215
Re:Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Friday, February 01, 2013 8:53 PM
Hi there! I haven't logged on here in a long while. I wish you all well in the new year ahead. I am now 6+ years out from my triple neg diagnosis and 4+ years out from the CLL. My CLL is getting worse but I feel fine and I intend to stay that way! Take care and be well. Gail Srebnik
dx 8/11/06- 58 yrs young
62! yrs young now
lumpectomy 8/22/06
triple negative!
Clinical trial -AC and taxol with Avastin
Chemo done 1/25/07
33 rads done 3/30/07
Now - leukemia! 4/7/2008 carepage-GailSrebnikMeade
Change Page: << < ..121122123124125126127128129130.. > | Showing page 123 of 135, messages 1221 to 1230 of 1341

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll