Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Triple Negative-How are you doing?
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 21 of 135, messages 201 to 210 of 1341
In The Pink

• Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:43 PM
Hello Everyone!
I don't have much to report other than I am starting chemo today!  I have a 1pm start time...I am nervous or scared.  I like to be prepared but since I have not done this before will just have to see what it offers.  Will try to check in tonight when I get home.  Love to you all.
[sm=hello.gif]
Penny - Orange,CA Age 48
Penny's Posies (Team Name) - Race For The Cure 9/28/08
DX=3/2008 - 6/2008
IDC, Stage III, Pos. Lymph Node Triple -,
Chemo - starting July 15, 2008
Mastectomy
Radiation
Participating in 3 clinical trials
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:51 PM
Penny, I'll be thinking good thoughts for you. [sm=hello.gif]I hope your chemo is uneventful. Just think--now you can say "One down . . ." Love, Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
Sadie Rose

• Total Posts : 579
  • Reward points : 10345
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:14 PM

Hello Everyone,

We are having another beautiful day in the NW. Gail, I hope this weather holds out until you come north. The sail boats on the Columbia river are so fun to watch. Take some time to just quiet and cocoon if you need to and save your energy up for the trek.

Rena, sounds like you trip was a wonderful success. I know that feeling of getting home and climbing into your own comfortable chair. Heaven! Ahhh, you mentioned stress. I have a tendency to be anxious, so I have work at reducing stress. I left a job that was very stressful and made a career transition which cost me some salary, but was well worth it. How have you been feeling?

Penny, I hope your day went well and you are at home resting. You made it through number 1! Do you have to go back in to see your oncologist this week? Treat yourself gently.

I'm going to give it a go here and say hi to everyone on this thread. If I miss one of you I am so sorry, but let me know. Hello to those not already mentioned: Penny, Karey, Sue, Mary Lou,
Patti, Texas Granny, Marjie, JL, Ann, Kathy, Lynn, Julie Ann, Nuzzy's Nana, Cathy, Allison, Lisa, Karan, Ellen, Pam, Sunbearz, and BeeCee. Let us know how you are doing. Thinking of you all.

Warmly,
Sadie

Gail Srebnik

• Total Posts : 2565
  • Reward points : 10215
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:19 PM
Hi penny, My best to you as you move ahead. Keep a positive thought and laugh when you can. Blessings,Gail
dx 8/11/06- 58 yrs young
62! yrs young now
lumpectomy 8/22/06
triple negative!
Clinical trial -AC and taxol with Avastin
Chemo done 1/25/07
33 rads done 3/30/07
Now - leukemia! 4/7/2008 carepage-GailSrebnikMeade
Sadie Rose

RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:20 PM
Hi Penny,
Hope you day went okay today.  Just thinking about you and wonder how you are doing?

Warmly,
Sadie
In The Pink

RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:42 PM
Hello[sm=hello.gif]

Ok, week one down or is that cycle 1....?   Anyway, it was a long afternoon.  We left the house at 12:30 had to immediately turn around because I forgot my purse that I have two crocheted angels my mom made me years ago I carry with us wherever we go.  Arrived at crowed parking structure parking on top floor. Got to appt. right on time.  Signed in, did the paperwork, got wrist ID tag and then was walked over to the infusion room.  The room was full.  About 5 beds and 5 recliners but one bed was waiting for me!  The gal put my folder on the tray and then I waited for a nurse.  My husband came with you to get me started and was sitting in the chair next to me.  I finally met the nurse assignd to me who proceeded to get my IV line started.  We tried the wrist and it blew so we went to the top on the left hand and of course that is more sensitive than the wrist but it held.  All was taped down and good to go.  Today it's bruised.  I did not know the process as I mentioned before and was surprised there were three medications they were doing prior to the chemo drugs.  I like how they double checked the names etc...they had tv's for us to watch, I used the restroom twice with all that liquid going in!  I just got comfy on the bed.  They gave me bootie socks to wear and were right on time to change the bags, flush them etc.  What I was not expecting as one of the medication on the first visit had to be given over an hour and a half, next time it will be 60 minutes and on the third 30 minutes.  I was unhooked at 6:15pm and home by 6:40pm.  Back in the bathroom!  Felt fine just tired from being there and meeting four different people who so much to say..the nurse, an RN doctor person, socieal worker and nurse for chemo doctor.  Also received another binder with all drug info, schedules for all the infusion days, labs, assorted tests along with a zippered bag with a blanket, lip gloss and lotion from a drug manufacturer.  My husband left within the first 10 minutes and returned at 4 and waited for me outside until I was done.  I went to bed about 11:30pm, woke up promptly at 2:45 with hearburn...was up until 6:30 slept until 7:30am then woke up for the day!  Three drugs they added at the beginning in low doses were Zofran, Ativan and Decadron.

If anyone thinks I write too much just let me know!  Hope all are doing well...I wish I could be out traveling like Rena & Gail!  We were lucky enough to travel in 1999 and in 2001 across country in our '87 aerostar van stopping at KOA's to do laundry.  We are family historians for our families and were able to get lots of info the first round, meet his family in New York that I had not met and in 2001 travel to family we found in our research. We also took a cruise to the Bahamas out of Florida.  It was great.  We did a reunion in Washington in 2003 and in 2006  I went with my sister to Colorado Springs, Co for another reunion.  Went to South Dakota/Minnesota for another May 2007. 

That's enough for now!

Penny - Orange,CA Age 48
DX=3/2008 - 6/2008
Mastectomy
Radiation
Sadie Rose

RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:46 AM

Hi Penny,

No one would think you write too much. 

I took zofram during treatment.  My oncologist gave me a three step program.  I don't remember what the other two medications were, but she said they were for different levels of nausea.  I never stepped up to level 3, but it was comforting to know I had a plan if I needed it.

It is interesting how different clinics and hospital set up their environments.  When I did my treatment I went to a large room filled with windows, lots of sunlight.  There was a circle of recliners, magazines, games, snacks and all the usual chemo equipment.  We all got to know each other and each other's families.  Family members were invited into the room.  The best thing was that on Thursdays massage students would come in and give each of us a foot massage and a shoulder massage during treatment.  It had the feeling of a get-together even though we had this serious thing going on.  There weren't any beds.

I hope today is a gentle day for you and that each day you are feeling better.  Have a lovely weekend.

Warmly,
Sadie
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:25 PM
Hi Penny, Sadie and all. Penny, I'm glad your first treatment went well. It sounds as though you prepared yourself well. My experience with chemo 21 years ago was so different. I was treated once a week for a year, and each infusion took only about 20 minutes. Things have changed! But looking back I wish they'd had all the anti-nausea drugs! Don't worry, Penny, you'll be traveling again soon. This is a bump in the road, but you'll get through it and move on. Your travels sound great, especially all the family history explorations. Sadie, I hope all is well with you and that your lovely weather keeps up. We're fogged in now. Some days it's hard to tell what's fog and what's smoke from the wildfires. I think that, little by little, the fires in Big Sur and Santa Barbara are being contained. Sending love and hugs to you all, Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
In The Pink

RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:36 PM
Hi Sadie, Rena and all...

I had a better sleep last night thanks to the rx they sent home.  It finally worked...today I took an hour nap and puttered around the house.  I have not had full meals today but feel full.  I am trying to drink liquids but I kind of feel like I have a stomach ache.  I did not wake up with heartburn last night which was good.

Sadie, it sounds like you went to some posh place!  Way to go!  Will have to share that one with my medical team.  You never know what they will incorporate. 
Penny - Orange,CA Age 48
DX=3/2008 - 6/2008
Mastectomy
Radiation
Gail Srebnik

• Total Posts : 2565
  • Reward points : 10215
RE: Triple Negative-How are you doing? - Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:08 PM
Hi penny. Yes indeed one cycle down! I marked mine off on a calendar and I also started a CarePage to record things. It sounds like you were well taken care of and did just fine. All those pre drugs were to combat nausea and I guess they did the trick. Rest and drink a lot of water to flush the stuff out. My best to you, Gail
dx 8/11/06- 58 yrs young
62! yrs young now
lumpectomy 8/22/06
triple negative!
Clinical trial -AC and taxol with Avastin
Chemo done 1/25/07
33 rads done 3/30/07
Now - leukemia! 4/7/2008 carepage-GailSrebnikMeade
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 21 of 135, messages 201 to 210 of 1341

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll