core biopsy

bassgirl
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
core biopsy - Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:16 PM
hi ladies,

I just joined and need some support and guidance. I have a stereotactic biopsy scheduled for Wed. 1/16. I have a group of microcalcifications of abnormal size found on a mamo. I expect to hear it's cancer and wonder what I do then? I am freaking out to say the least. How do you all do it?

Alison Irwin
  • Total Posts : 2594
  • Reward points : 10595
RE: core biopsy - Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:33 PM
Hi Bassgirl,

First take a deep breath.  The waiting for test results is the hardest part of all.  Everyone here was terrified at the beginning of our breast cancer diagnosis.  I can tell you though that we have many ladies post on here, they have biopsies and everything turns out ok and they don't have cancer.  Odds are your's will not be cancer.

If it is cancer, then know that it is a treatable disease.  Today the survival rates for breast cancer are very high, especially when caught early.  Breast cancer is not necessarily the death sentence it was in our grandmother's days.  That's not to say that it's not a very serious disease, but know that good treatments are available.

I was diagnosed about 1-1/2 years ago, went through a mastectomy, chemo & radiation.  Right now there is no evidence of my disease and my life is going on just like before.  The dishes still need to be done, the kids still argue, the garbage needs to be taken out, well you get the picture.  Going through treatment can be rough at times, but it's not nearly as bad as you would think.  The good days way outnumber the bad days.

We are all here for you.  I know this is a very scary time, but we've all been there and this is a really great group of ladies (and a few men) that will be glad to answer questions and help you. 

Best wishes,
Alison, 45. Woodland, WA.
DX 08/14/06, Left Mast, Nodes13-/1+, 4-AC/1-Taxol/3-Taxotere, Rads, BRCA neg.,Tram flap. Medullary carcinoma, triple negative.

bassgirl
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: core biopsy - Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:43 PM
thank you so much! I have always expected to be diagnosed w/ bc since my mother had it and I have many risk factors. You are right.Waiting is the worst part. I have never been a forum member anywhere but what a great group of people. Best to you.

Nicole W
  • Total Posts : 1888
RE: core biopsy - Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:05 PM
Hi Bassgirl!
Allison is right, waiting is one of the hardest parts. 8 out of 10 lumps turn out to be nothing so those are some pretty good odds! Good luck with your biopsy! Let us know how it goes.

Nicole
diagnosed: Aug 06 at 38
lumpectomy: Sept 06
Stage II, grade 3 - 1 of 16 nodes +
ER/PR+, HER2- and BRCA2+
4 ACs & 4 Taxols finished 3/1/07
33 rounds of rads finished 5/25/07
hysterectomy 9/08
carepage: NicoleWeathers

JulieS
  • Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
RE: core biopsy - Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:08 PM
Bassgirl,
Welcome, hope you won't be staying long which will mean that your biopsy will turn up nothing bad.  IF and that is a big if (8 of 10 it is nothing) it does turn out positive for bc we will be here to help you through it.   Waiting is the worst thing, but it is part of the disease that we all get through and with help from  here and your friends and familys you will too.  You will find all ages and from around the world here. There is much compassion, caring and support here, it is pretty amazing how many women and men reach out and help people they have never met. 

I was dx 8 months ago, had surgery, raidation and am on tamoxefin.  My life is pretty much back to normal and I see my medical oncologist once every 3 months. My grandmother had bc in her 40's so I wasn't really suprised to be dx, not to say I wasn't scared, I was very scared but with a wonderful surgeon and kind radiation oncologist I am doing well. 
If you are dx usually the first thing they will do is send you to a surgeon,  try to get a breast surgeon, I didn't but loved my surgeon, she has done lots of breast surgeries.  Then, usually before surgery, you will see a medical Oncologist and a raidation oncologist.  You should like them all and if you don't get a second opnion.
Please come back and ask any questions you have, someone will have been through it and will answer.
Take care
Julie S

Suzie Q
  • Total Posts : 926
RE: core biopsy - Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:12 PM
It will take several days until you get your test results and of course the waiting is the worst!  Try to find something to occupy your mind until you get your results.  You will be sore from the biopsy samples they take (it's like shooting pains in your breast from the tissue they remove).  That's not fun but at least you'll know what to expect if you get them. 
Remember not all lumps are cancerous so you could get very good news too!  Good Luck!!!
Keep a positive attitude, it will take you a long way if you do need treatment.  And we're here to answer any of your questions. 
Sending you hugs,
Suzie Q [sm=pals.gif]
Susan James, San Diego
Biopsy 5cm RB & Lymph 8/14/07
Dx + in both 8/17/07
HER2+, MUGA Scan & EKG(trial)
Chemo 9/13/07 EC(4), T&A(4), H(12)
Lumpectomy & nodes 3/14/08
Port for H&A (1yr)
Carepages: SusanJames1952

Sue W.
  • Total Posts : 272
  • Reward points : 5640
RE: core biopsy - Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:15 PM
Hi Bassgirl.

I won't tell you  not to worry/freak out because I know that is so hard, but keep busy and think positive thoughts between now and the time you get your results. Waiting is bad, but hopefully you will get good news and have benign results. Then you will be able to celebrate!!

If it is cancer, learn all you can about your specific diagnosis and treatment options, as there are many.  Everyone is different and you need to be informed as to what is right for you.  Ask lots of questions here and with your drs. Being informed/knowledgable is the best thing you can do.  I was diagnosed a little over a year ago, and Alison is right--eventually, for the most part, things are back to how they were before. (Husband is watching football, son has a friend over and they are eating a pizza & I will be doing the dishes soon. I do have a new appreciation for it all, though.  A "normal" day is never boring--it is something to celebrate and be thankful for.) Having bc is not easy, but you know that from your mom's diagnosis. Take it one step at a time, and good luck on Wed!! This is a great place for support!
Sue W.--now 55
WI
dx 12/21/06 at age 50
DCIS w/ microinvasion, lumpectomy 12/21/06
SNB 1/12/07, 0+/4
ER, PR +, HER2-
26 Rads. 2/26/07-4/03/07
Tamox. 4/13/07-6/28/07
Ooph. 7/25/07
Arimidex started 8/16/07

babs2246
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:core biopsy - Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:40 PM
I just had a core biopsy last week. I had to tell myself, "one day at a time"....slow my brain down and deal with each day as it presented. I found a lot of support from family and friends and women who had experienced this too. I wish you peace of heart and love.