Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 11 of 44, messages 101 to 110 of 432
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, March 06, 2008 7:01 PM
Susan I have'nt had a chance to go to the carepages to see your update but keep applying the aloe as it'll help a lot. Also I became very itchy but did'nt burn at all,just pink so hope you'll be the same!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
skbadger

• Total Posts : 604
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, March 06, 2008 7:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

I had my sim today so last night I read through the string to find out what questions to ask.  It's interesting how different our rad oncs can be.  I was told deodorant (of any kind) is fine as long as it wasn't applied just before rads.  I will work in the morning and have rads in the afternoon so this is not a problem.  They just want the area to be dry.  Taking my multi-vitamin is just fine.  The one thing my rad onc basically guaranteed is that my breast will be red from rads. 

The information I got here was very helpful and always greatly appreciated. It's really great that everyone is so willing to share their personal experiences.  You guys give me sanity during all this craziness.  [sm=whacky2.gif]
Sara, dx 6/07 @ 39 yo
BRCA neg ER+ PR+ Her2+++
lumpectomy 7/31/07
Stage IIA grade 2 1+/32 nodes
4 AC; 12 Taxol+Herceptin-DONE!
31 rounds of Rads-DONE!
Herceptin thru 11/08 - DONE!
Tamox & Lupron shots
Sandefeet

• Total Posts : 86
  • Reward points : 3770
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, March 07, 2008 1:41 PM
I FINISHED my rads on Tuesday (March 4)!!!  My husband and I left town after my last treatment so I've been out of pocket.

I am still tired (lack of energy) and have to pace myself each day.  I hope it doesn't last long. 

My boost area is pink but already starting to clear up.  The rest of my skin is almost totally clear.  I found DEB SBS 40 medicated skin cream the BEST solution for me (I am a fair skinned, red head).  It started healing my skin before I finished treatments; even the doctors were amazed.  I used it exclusively the last 3 weeks.  You have to buy it online but it is well worth it.  I bought mine at www.safety-products.com

My surgeon told me when I finished my rads I would be CURED so I have held on to that and now declare myself CURED!  I'll take it since I've learned as many of us have, we only have today!
Susan

• Total Posts : 2839
  • Reward points : 7205
Lynne - Friday, March 07, 2008 2:00 PM
Thanks, but I cannot take all the credit for this thread. It was more Coco's idea, but since I was starting radiation first, she asked me to go ahead and put it up.  I have found it very helpful and I hope it does the same for many in the future. HUGS.
Susan in TN
dx 3/05/07
IDC 3 cm.,10% DCIS/Stage IIB/T2/G2
6/9 + lymph nodes
ER+ 90%/ PR-/ HER2-
A/C,Taxotere
Simple rt. mast.
Arimidex 
Radiation
carepage:blackeyedsue
Susan

To late Tricia...already gone RED - Friday, March 07, 2008 2:04 PM
Hey girl, I am already gettting red. Went pink and red in the same week and I only have 15 under my belt. I may be ordering the suggested DEB SBS 40 medicated skin cream that Sandefeet posted.
I am using the perscription Biafine 3 to 4 times a day now and the pure Aloe Vera Gel at least 3 times. As soon as this boy I keep goes home, I change into button front pj's so that it makes all these self  treatments easier on me. HELP...[sm=whacky2.gif][sm=whacky.gif]
I'll make it, for sure, but was really hoping to avoid any breaks in treatment. I am going to be REALLY SURPRISED if that happens now. SIGH.
Susan in TN
dx 3/05/07
6/9 + lymph nodes
ER+ 90%/ PR-/ HER2-
A/C,Taxotere
Simple rt. mast.
Arimidex 
Radiation
Coco

• Total Posts : 125
  • Reward points : 4950
RE: To late Tricia...already gone RED - Friday, March 07, 2008 4:12 PM
Hi all,
I just had my 9th treatment today and so far so good.  I keep looking at my breast and it seems ok.  I am putting the biafine on twice a day.  They said not to use anything else until I see the Radiologist on Monday.  I'll keep posting and hopefully will have nothing nothing bad to report.
Susan are you going to have a break in treatment?
Age 67
DX 10/8/07
10/29/07 LUMPECTOMY RT BREAST INVASIVE DUCTAL CARCINOMA
LYMPH NODES NEG Stage 1 Grade 3
Triple negative
4 cycles of Taxotere and Cytoxan Finished 1/29/08
35 Rads finished 4/11/08
Malvern, Pa
My2giftsRmy2girls

• Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
RE: To late Tricia...already gone RED - Friday, March 07, 2008 5:22 PM
Hi Feb.Rad Girls !

Its been awhile since I have been on...I have another support group of Feb. Rad Team. so,  I had a lot to catch up on since then !  So, far in comparison everything seems to be the same from different approaches with RAD. ONC. and all the same red/itchy/burn ( Which by the way I heard happens a lot Chemo or not...they suggest HydroCortizone ) As far as muscle aches...YES,  I hear that a lot...that comes unfortunately with the RADS. Mine feels stretched and sometimes stabbing pains...

Deoderant : Salt/rock roll on or spray or rock...and also, baby cornstarch is now working for me...other than that they say something about the aluminum...and burning so no no on the deoderant...but things change all the time so who knows !

So, far #15 for me....20 more to go!  ( 10 boosts at the end )
I started draaaaaging today ![sm=sleeping.gif][sm=sleeping.gif][sm=sleeping.gif][sm=sleeping.gif]

Its always FREEZING while they give me treatments !  Trying to remain still while I am being zapped is hard at times...

Have a restful weekend !! [sm=peace.gif]
<message edited by My2giftsRmy2girls on Friday, March 07, 2008 5:24 PM>
Nov.19
DCIS Stage 0 grade 3
0/3 lymph node
mastectomy
Feb.18 Rads
ER- PR-
25 Rads 10 Boost
Susan

Coco - Friday, March 07, 2008 5:29 PM
I won't be surprised, but they haven't mentioned it yet. I have to see the rad. onc. every Monday. Since they tell me this is normal, he may let it get worse before taking a break...I hope. I have the weekend to keep myself slathered up, so maybe it will fade a little bit. It really doesn't hurt. I know when it is time for cream though. It developed a little feeling yesterday, so I just listen and go soothe it. HUGS.
Susan in TN
dx 3/05/07
6/9 + lymph nodes
ER+ 90%/ PR-/ HER2-
A/C,Taxotere
Simple rt. mast.
Arimidex 
Radiation
Suzy

• Total Posts : 982
  • Reward points : 2560
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, March 08, 2008 9:45 AM
I have only had 4 rad treatments, 29 to go!  So I really don't have any problems yet...My last chemo was 2/6 and I'm having pains in my legs a little so I guess it is from the chemo which I thought would be out of my system by now....I heard it takes a few mos. to get the chemo out of your system...I asked my onc about chemo brain, and she told me it can take 6 mos or so to get back to normal.

Susan
Susan Black, Kingwood, TX
DCIS 2/03 Rt.Mast.w/TramFlap
Rt.Brst Recurrence 6/4/07
IDC Stage 2, Grade 3
Lumpectomy 8/7/07
ER/PR+ HER2-
A/Cx4;Taxolx4:9/14/07
Chemo end 2/6/08
Rads:30 end 4/15/08
8/7 Port/out
Carepg:Susanrocks
DianeA.

• Total Posts : 201
  • Reward points : 2810
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, March 08, 2008 10:14 AM
First of all, I want to say thank you for starting this thread.  There is a lot of really good information here.  I just finished getting lined up for rads which starts Monday.  Nothing personal but I prefer to have a woman doctor.  So I was referred to a female oncologist for radiation which i really like.  But, no one told me a male, none the less in his 30's, handsome Italian,  would be the one to work on my boob everyday.  This really sucks!!!!  It made me feel really uncomforable, though he is probably used to it but i am NOT.  I guess i will get use to it too.

Just a suggestion, when you go to radiation to have the mold of your upper body done DO NOT WEAR YOUR WIG.  Once again, how uncomfortable i felt when he suggested that i should take off my wig because the mold gets really hot and of course, you are to keep your wig away from all heat ... oven, dryers, etc.  I wish i had known ahead of time i would have brought a hat or scarf with me.

Diane
Dx'd @ 42 Now 46 - New Jersey
Dx'd 8/20/07 - Stage IIIa
Lumpectomy 9/7/07
ER/PR+, HER2 (Not Amplified)
4x A/C, 4x Taxol - DONE 2/8/08!!!
Radiation - DONE 4/25/08!!!
Tamoxifen 3/22/08
Started Lupron Shots - 10/2010
6/20/11 Dx'd Stage 4 to Lungs
6/31/11 Start Chemo - Gemzar
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 11 of 44, messages 101 to 110 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll