Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 21 of 44, messages 201 to 210 of 432
ElaineQW

• Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
RE: Krista - Monday, September 22, 2008 11:22 AM
Hi everyone,

This is a great thread and I was glued to it before I started my radiation therapy. I'm probably repeating myself but my radioonco doc prescribed a cream called Xclair, which should be applied 3 times a day. I actually apply it in the morning, faithfully before my rad therapy and sometimes at night before I go to bed. Anyway, I think it must be working because I have what I would describe as a 'pink boob'...no sunburn, no peeling, no pain. I'm not having fatigue to speak of, but I think that's just me...didn't have much with chemo either. I need to add "so far" to my positive effect.....I'm going in today for #18 and who know what awaits me.... :)

Good luck sisters.

Hug,
Elaine

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
RE: Krista - Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:39 PM
bumping up for newbies to rads.....good luck all!!!!
Cindy D.

• Total Posts : 967
  • Reward points : 11070
RE: Krista - Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:37 PM
bump
Mass. 
56 yrs old
dx 1/10/07
Stage IIIa
ER/PR +,Her2 -
chemo: 4ac/4 taxol  5/24/07
lump: 6/18/07
mast: 7/16/07
tamoxifen: 7/25/07-2/9/09
rads:  10/25/07
clinical trial: avastin and xeloda, 12/07-11/08
arimidex/lupron: 2/09/09-12/28/11
clinical trial: femara 1/1/12 9 months on, 3 months off
happywonn

• Total Posts : 57
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Sunday, October 12, 2008 9:19 PM
bump
Cynthia
Cynthia-bx April 10 2008
stage IIa or III tumor 5cm
right breast mast.
Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma Grade III
Axilltry Node +
currenly taking chemo fourth cycle
no surgery yet
vacc98

• Total Posts : 3
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Sunday, October 12, 2008 11:00 PM
Good evening, I am sure you have received alot of good advice from the caring, supportive group of ladies on this board.  The only thing I would repeat, again and again ~ is keep applying lotion! 

From the very first day, even though you will not really see changes right away.  My radio- oncologist office has packets of aquaphor waiting by the door as you leave the treatment area.  Even though I used those faithfully, you will most likely still burn.  I ended up with scripts for clotrim, also for yeast infection, and silvadine that was a God send! 

Yes, you will be tired, I  noticed it about 1/2 thru.  But don't push yourself.  I did keep up with all my normal activities, in fact went to radiation every day during my lunch! I just finished 36 treatments this past Wednesday.  26 whole breast, last 10 on the tumor site alone.

I know it can be terrifying, but sometimes I think our greatest fear is fear of the unknown. 

Take care, and we will all be routing for you!

Diagnosed 05/08
48 turned 49 b4 treatment
ER+, PR+ BRCA 1 & 2 NEG.
Oncotype DX 18
Stage II, Grade II
Extremely High Family History
Comp.36 Rads 10/08/08
ElaineQW

• Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, October 13, 2008 9:56 AM
BUMP.....
 A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

June A.

• Total Posts : 5
RE: Krista - Monday, October 13, 2008 10:20 AM
Hi everyone,

I am very new at this and have only sent one other reply, so if I make a mess of this, please excuse me and I will (try) to get better.

Everyone has been such a help to me and I sure wish I had read your posts before now.  I started last week with the positioning and everything and did not know anything.  I am 61 and things like this should not bother me, but I had a very bad childhood and so when they left me uncovered to do their stuff and the markings and the pictures it put me over the edge. By the time I got to my car I was shaking and crying and it took almost an hr before I could drive.  This happened when I went for the breast MRI. Not sure why it happened but it was not good.  I started the actual radiation on October 9th and had a very good team that were respecful and did not uncover unless necessary and I felt comfortable.  I think I must be the only one who has had these reactions.  You all seem to be so strong and handle things so well and kept your sense of humor.

The daily radiation treatments do not scare me now, but my radiologist does not seem to be giving me the information you all are getting. So you are invaluable to me.

My oncologist said for me to take tamoxifen but I have refused, with no regrets. I have dealt with cancer since 1982 - Thyroid Cancer- and have had many operations on my throat because it keeps recurring.  Many cancerous lymnodes removed and this last operation in Nov 07 ruined the muscles in my left arm.  But, this BC is something else.

I just want everyone to know that you all are my heros for telling your stories, giving advice and letting us look into the window of your world. It is a GREAT help.

So I am all smiles and will come to you all for comfort, advice and a hand up.

Love and Prayers, June
CEBsblueeyes

• Total Posts : 35
RE: Krista - Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:31 AM
I have one hint and one question.   Corn starch is really great and helped me a lot.  I ended up using a old spice bottle for my corn starch.  It worked really well.  Try to get one with good size holes so that the corn starch comes out.  The one that I used at first clogged because the corn starch clumped.

My question is this.  I just finished 6 1/2 weeks of rads.  Durning rads my skin was fine. It was a little red and my nipple was red, sore and felt funny but it was nothing I could not handle.  I had my last treatment on October 1st and since then the skin under my breast is read and really sore.  I haI have tried using my aloe and it really burns.  Even the cream that my rads doctor gave me has not helped.  I though that after rads your skin was suppose to feel better not worse.  I called the doctor on Thuresday but she has not returned my call yet.  I will give her a call tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone had any hints.  There are times that I have shooting pains in my breast as well.  It hurts to ware cloths and it hurt not to have them on. Please let me know.  Thanks!       
Carol
DCIS stage 0
Age 47
I have 3 boys, 24,21,&19
Live in Southern Maryland
REMBER ALL THINGS HAPPEN FOR A REASON
June A.

• Total Posts : 5
RE: Krista - Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:43 PM
Hi everyone!  You all do not realize (or maybe you do) how wonderful it is to have a place to go and find such good answers.  Everytime I have a problem I just go back and read and there is my answer.  Today will be my 4th treatment.  I go late in the day because I work a one woman office and my boss said to start and close the office at 4 so I could get my treatments.  But the problem I am having is no deodorant, but after reading, I have come to the conclusion that I am stopping by the Health store on my way home. 

I am glad to hear that others are tired after just a few treatments, because it hit me this afternoon.  I had to get up and walk around the office, to keep awake.  I work 9 hour days with no breaks and then I have a 1 hr drive time each way to work, so I need to keep my energy up. 

One of you all said that you sometimes will lose weight because you are not that hungry for awhile.  Well, this will be my silver lining and can't wait for that to happen.... almost.

good luck to you all and I will be back because you make me laugh and cry, but I know things will be OK..

Love and Prayers, June
Vera

• Total Posts : 364
RE: Krista - Tuesday, October 14, 2008 2:03 PM
Carol please tell me more about the corn starch. I have read a post from Jeanne I think that she mixed the corn starch with the Aquaphor. Do you mix it or just apply it dry? Thanks!
Vera 54yrs - NE Ohio
married to a great guy
dx 5/27/08
IDC Stage II
Er+PR+Her2-
Lumpectomy clear margins 6/20/08
Tumor 2.3cm
2/9 nodes+
4 A/C &12 Taxol Done - Rads -DONE
Putting on the BIG GIRL PANTIES and Combat Boots
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 21 of 44, messages 201 to 210 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll