Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 3 of 44, messages 21 to 30 of 432
Susan

• Total Posts : 2839
  • Reward points : 7205
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, February 15, 2008 11:57 AM
After reading another thread today, I remembered yet another side effect my rad. onc. discussed with me. LYMPHEDEMA.

He said, should I develop any signs of it, to be sure to mention it so he can refer me to the lymphedema clinic, there at the hospital. I know why I didn't remember this one...IT SCARES ME. It does need to be added to the list of possible side effects. GRRRRR.  CMFR, I may be changing my stress level post soon...HA. Lapse of memory can be good sometimes, but then we get a reminder. HUGS.
Susan in TN
dx 3/05/07
IDC 3 cm.,10% DCIS/Stage IIB/T2/G2
6/9 + lymph nodes
ER+ 90%/ PR-/ HER2-
A/C,Taxotere
Simple rt. mast.
Arimidex 
Radiation
carepage:blackeyedsue
Jennifer Mishe

• Total Posts : 2585
  • Reward points : 9465
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, February 15, 2008 12:05 PM
Susan,
Although some nurses discount it, my radiation onc warned me that even though I only had a lumpectomy and no nodes tested, that the radiation would put me at risk for lymphadema and to avoid all blood pressure readings and blood draws etc from my left arm.  I have to argue the point with some nurses at doctors offices other than my oncologists but so far no problems.  When I had my hysterectomy my husband wrote in black marker, "No BPs or needles in this arm"  The nurses thought it was funny but they respected it. You can not take it for granted that all nurses understand this.  A friend of mine went in for an unrelated surgery, had had a previous right breast mast. which they knew about and apparently they did bps and needles in that right arm and she developed lymphadema in the week after. Just more fun in the fast lane of the life of cancer survivorship.  Praying for smooth sailing for you during your radiation.[sm=pals.gif]
Jennifer
DCIS
lumpectomy 5/02/05
32 rad tx comp 7/07/05
tamoxifen
comp. hysterectomy 4/04/06
Paducah, KY
codetwinmom

• Total Posts : 62
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, February 15, 2008 12:08 PM
Thank you for this thread!  I had 2 appointments yesterday, first was CT scan then onco.  It go in Tuesday for x-rays and tattoos.   I start rads next week and would love to hear everyone else's experiences.
Mona
45 years old
Stage 1/Grade 1 IDC
Lumpectomy and sentinel node removal 1/16/08
Clear margins
Start rads 2/20 (36 total, 28/8 boost), done 4/9/08
Tamoxifen and Lupron started 2/14/08
Living with NED
shirley caya

• Total Posts : 518
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, February 15, 2008 12:12 PM
hi
wonder if anyone else has the same experience.Had radiation seven weeks finished in april06 however still find any bra with even a bit of lace irritating and seems the same sixe doesent fit like it did is this normal>> just wondering?? thank you
shirley caya
JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, February 15, 2008 12:52 PM
Hi
I finished rads last September.  I don't know if the lace on my bras bother me but it feels as if the bra is squeezing me and it terribly uncomftorable, even if it is loose.  Also for you larger breasted women, if you get a piece of soft cotton (maybe a old tee shirt from hubby) and put it under your breast so you don't have that skin to skin contact it will help the irration there. Also  use a mild detergent to wash your shirts and maybe even rinse them twice. I also walked on my treadmill 5-6 days a week. Made it through with just a little fatigue, and like some of the women have said it hits you suddnly and all at once you are exausted. With a quick cat nap I was all better again.
  Its not so bad and hope you all do well!
Take care
Julie S

Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-
Trishi

• Total Posts : 218
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, February 15, 2008 12:57 PM
Hi All!  Thank you to Susan and Coco for starting this thread.     Has anyone here had Mammosite radiation?    I completed it almost four weeks ago and would be interested in comparing recovery experiences with someone else who has been through it.    

Best wishes to all!

Trish
Susan

• Total Posts : 2839
  • Reward points : 7205
Trishi - Friday, February 15, 2008 1:08 PM
There have been a few others that did the mammosite radiation. If they don't see this post, try putting it on a new thread in a few days. I so wish it had worked out for me to have a lumpectomy and then the mammosite rads. but it was not to be. HUGS.
Susan in TN
dx 3/05/07
IDC 3 cm.,10% DCIS/Stage IIB/T2/G2
6/9 + lymph nodes
ER+ 90%/ PR-/ HER2-
A/C,Taxotere
Simple rt. mast.
Arimidex 
Radiation
carepage:blackeyedsue
Kerry

• Total Posts : 921
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, February 15, 2008 1:24 PM
I just wanted to say good luck to everyone w/ rads.  I think the best advice I received was from here.  Anne told me to exercise and drink lots of H20.  It really helped w/ the fatigue.  I walked everyday and really only felt like I hit the wall during the 3rd or 4th week. 

For skin care:  for me 100% fruit of the earth aloe worked the best.  I brought it with me to rads and put in on immediately afterwards and 2-3 times a day.  If I was too dry and sometimes overnight I would use unscented Lubiderm.  When I got that itch 1% hydrocortisone only on the itchy spots.  When it got really itchy they told me I could use Dermaplast or Solarcaine.  That was a god send!  Cleared up quickly b/c then I went on to the boosts so that area healed.  bc.org also recommended putting cornstarch in an old nylon knee hi stocking or similar and dusting yourself w/ that, which was also helpful.  (especially if you sweat or it's hot).

I have large breasts so I felt I needed to wear a bra and had no problems w/ that.  just wore an all cotton one w/ good support.  I used those shelf bra camis too at night time.   For me, no skin to skin contact was better.  I also took time out each day to lie down and just air out the  entire treatment area for at least 30 minutes (I listened to a book on CD), it was very relaxing too!  Put your arm up over your head to air out the area under your breast.  I am happy to say that I did not burn at all, and had only mild "dry peeling." underneath my breast.  Watch that area carefully, it is easy to forget, but it is where they always look during your weekly rad onc visists during rads. Take care!
Kerry 
40yo(now 42)
dx 3/07 (thought DCIS)
lumpectomy4/07 1.5 cm tumor,sentinel node bx
stage I,node - OncoDX score 18 ER/PR+, Her2-
TC 4 rounds DONE 9/18
Radiation DONE 11/27
b/l ooph 6/08
Arimidex 7/08
brca1/2 -
carepage: ringofkerr
Suzie Q

• Total Posts : 926
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, February 15, 2008 2:04 PM
Thanks Susan for creating this thread, lots of infomation! 
My rads won't be until April so I wanted to know about the "dye" that was mentioned that ruins your clothes?  I thought we were getting tattoos to mark us, what's the dye for?  I just want to be prepared. 
And for those ladies who gone through this, is it better to schedule your rad appt late in the day so you can just go home and rest?  That's what I'm hoping I can do, but I guess we'll have to see since it will depend on when there's a opening. 
Thanks!
Suzie Q  (my surgery will be in March and rads in April)
Susan James, San Diego
Biopsy 5cm RB & Lymph 8/14/07
Dx + in both 8/17/07
HER2+, MUGA Scan & EKG(trial)
Chemo 9/13/07 EC(4), T&A(4), H(12)
Lumpectomy & nodes 3/14/08
Port for H&A (1yr)
Carepages: SusanJames1952
codetwinmom

• Total Posts : 62
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, February 15, 2008 2:38 PM
Susan, I work full time and my plan is to go late in the day, for now.  I talked to the doc and he said the fatigue probably won't hit until week 2 or 3.  I am scheduled for 4:45 for the time being.  If I start to get fatigued, I plan to move it up to 3 or so, so I will have time to come home and rest before the family needs me.  I'm afraid to try first thing in the morning, just in case I don't feel good.  I guess we just have to listen to our bodies.

Mona
45 years old
Stage 1/Grade 1 IDC
Lumpectomy and sentinel node removal 1/16/08
Clear margins
Start rads 2/20 (36 total, 28/8 boost), done 4/9/08
Tamoxifen and Lupron started 2/14/08
Living with NED
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 3 of 44, messages 21 to 30 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages