Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 39 of 44, messages 381 to 390 of 432
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:35 PM
Hi Vicki,

I'm so glad you're beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel and must admit rads for me were a breeze after chemo too!!

My main side effect was fatigue but some people do complain of nausea, thankfully you have no redness yet (I did'nt either and used aloe vera) so hope that continues and please be sure to post when you're !
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Lady Godiva

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 95
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:25 PM
Hi from a newcomer. I just now finished my external targeted radiation course, and I am euphoric about that! I really was not looking forward to the experience at all, and said so many times to anyone who would listen. After conferring with my physicians and doing my own research, I figured that for me, radiation after surgery would give me the best odds of survival.

Now that I am finished, I can say with all honesty that the process was not as bad as I had envisioned. The facility recommended Aquaphor, but I was allergic to the lanolin in it, and my skin seems to react to straight 100% aloe, so I looked for something which would keep my pale fragile skin as safe from redness, burns, etc, as much as possible. I settled on a new "Jergens Crema" product, which comes in 3 different formulas. I picked the formula which emphasized oat, shea butter, cocoa butter and a slew of ingredients which would keep my skin non-greasy, moisturized, and would absorb quickly. My daily routine was to apply this stuff immediately following treatment, and then again every several hours until about 3 hours before the next treatment was due. The Doc was amazed at how little my skin reacted to the radiation. Believe me, I was doing everything I could do to prevent skin damage of any kind, even if it meant losing a bit of sleep. I also drank lots of water to keep the skin cells hydrated.

Yes, my INNER affected breast is sore and I have "flash" pain and lots of fatigue. But hopefully each day I am recovering from the impact of radiation. And I remember that it was my choice to go this route to hopefully decrease the chance of recurrence.
Diagnosed with IDC: Oct 2011
Surgery: Jan 2012
Radiation: DONE!!!
Tricia Keegan

Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:51 AM
Congrats on finishing rads and glad this cream worked well for you!!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
dalton22

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 200
Re: Krista - Friday, May 25, 2012 3:40 AM
Everyone with has a same experience with radiation.Radiation will be different for everybody. Not every one of you will get a similar reactions, a few of course might be worse than the others. Remember all may be managed. Stay with alert for those symptoms.
Cindy62

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 720
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:58 PM
Hi...I just had the balloon catheter radiation.  Would love to know what you thought of it.  

printersss

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 50
Re: Krista - Monday, February 25, 2013 3:47 AM

Tumor is the base of 80% cancer
Treatment as a palliative when eliminating the tumor is not possible. 
Help shrink the tumor before surgery
After surgery to treat any remaining cancer cells in combination of chemotherapy treatment.
LisaD

• Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 5395
Re: Krista - Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:02 PM
I just wanted to post for anyone who is going through rads now, or getting ready to start. I am 4 treatments away from finishing and after reading every single post in this forum, I decided to use Recovery Cream that you can order on line. It worked very well for me. I did have a bad burn in the crease under my breast and at my lymph node incision but they are healing quickly. One thing that no one mentioned was that you can (very rarely) get an infection in the breast during rads! I was lucky enough to do this... My advice however, is that if you have all over pain and swelling in the breast, not just shooting pains, talk to your Rad Onc about it right away. My Dr didn't thought it was from chemo at first but then realized I had a problem and needed antibiotics. Other than that, with Recovery Cream, I survived. Good luck to all,
Lisa, Age 51 @ DX Lumpectomy 8/30/12 
-1.5cm Stage 1a IDC Grade 2, DCIS Grade 3 
-ER/PR Poss, HER2 Equivocal 2(Borderline), FISH Neg, 
-Node Neg, OncotypeDX 25
- T/C x 6 (done 1/28/13)
-33 Rads (done 4/18/13)
-Tamoxifen (4/19/13 for 10 yrs)
Tricia Keegan

Re: Krista - Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:39 AM
Thanks for the good tip Lisa and congrats to you on getting through it!!
Carepage- survivortricia
Pam R.

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re: Krista - Sunday, April 21, 2013 3:34 PM
I just finished treatment #18 out of 30 and I am experiencing issues under my breast and in my armpit.  It is raw, red and weeping a little.  Did anyone experience this?  Also, I did not know about no BP or blood draws from that arm, that is my only really easy vein.  What effects will I have from doing them?
Tricia Keegan

Re: Krista - Sunday, April 21, 2013 5:16 PM
Pam your nurse's or Drs will know not to take your BP or draw blood from that arm but remind them if they forget. It does carry a small risk of lymphedema which is not life threatening but painful! Please tell your rad Onc about your breast burning issue's as there's some cream they can prescribe to help you.
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 39 of 44, messages 381 to 390 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll