Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Tips and Experiences
Change Page: << < ..41424344 > | Showing page 41 of 44, messages 401 to 410 of 432
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re: Krista - Monday, May 05, 2014 12:32 PM
Cynthia, the skin continues to burn for up to two weeks after you've finished rads so do continue using the cream or pads if its helps but it will get easier.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Qryche33

• Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 5960
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:46 PM
Is radiation done every day?  Or how many times a week?  I am terribly worried about gas. I don't see on the American Cancer Society's website where to sign up for this.  I will be starting radiation in a few months after my surgery, so this thread has been very helpful!!!

Tracy
Tricia Keegan

RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, July 12, 2014 3:12 PM
Tracey, radiation is usually done daily about a month after chemo or surgery, I'm sorry but didn't understand your question about gas or signing up for something ???
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
Leah1907

• Total Posts : 108
  • Reward points : 6650
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, July 12, 2014 9:53 PM
Hi Tracy ~ I believe you're referring to gasoline gift cards which the American Cancer Society often gifts to individuals needing help with their expenses.  I was gifted several hundred dollars worth of gas cards from my nurse navigator.  The hospital where I received treatment is 60 miles one way.  Needless to say, driving 120 miles 5 days a week for 6 weeks was becoming very expensive.  The gas cards were a tremendous help!  Talk to your nurse navigator or perhaps the rad techs and they should be able to help you.  If  you go onto the ACS website, you might find a link directing you as well.

Best wishes,
Leah
Leah - Wisconsin
2/8/13 DCIS in left breast, ER+ PR+
3/11/13 skin and nipple sparing mast of left breast with expander
5/9/13 expander replaced with saline implant
5/28/13-7/5/13 radiation 
11/26/13 augmentation of the right, healthy breast with implant
12/2/13 LCIS in right, "healthy" breast
2/5/14 skin and nipple sparing mast of right breast with final implant
slinguser

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 4085
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Wednesday, August 06, 2014 3:30 PM
Hi Susan:

You sound much more together than I was!  I was so terrified to begin radiation therapy. 

But I got through it and - so far - have been cancer free.

My surgical wound was on the underside of my breast and I was very worried about perspiration and skin abrasion making the effects of the radiation so much worse.  I tried using the BreastComfort Sling as much of the day and night as I could and amazed my doctors - and myself!  The sling definitely got me through a very difficult period with minimal side effects.  I can't recommend it enough!

Good luck!

Karilou

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 70
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, August 09, 2014 10:16 AM
I had a lumpectomy with radiation treatments in 2011/2012. It was to be followed with hormone inhibitor therapy for 5 years. After much trial and error I haven't been able to tolerate the Rx of most. My question is this, about the same time as I was going through all this I developed a bumpy rash on the back of both arms, the length of my arms. It remained that way up until this year and now has spread over other body areas. My dermatologist didn't recognize it. It is not dry,scaly or itchy. It doesn't hurt. It looks like contact dermatitis. Is this an after effect of radiation treatment?
Tricia Keegan

Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Saturday, August 09, 2014 2:16 PM
I haven't heard of anyone getting this after rads but you could ask to see your rad onc and he may be able to tell you what it is.
Carepage- survivortricia
RaiderGirl

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 60
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, September 05, 2014 9:18 PM
"psychological response" my as*. Radiation kills cells, dead cells are toxins and toxins causes fatigue. Now add to that the stress of the BC diagnosis and physical assault of surgery and other treatments. My Rad Onc said many patients don't experience fatigue but that I should be prepared for it. If the fatigue is debilitating I should let him know but mostly some rest will be enough.I felt nothing the first week. Now at the end of week two I was tired. Now how can two MD in the same field vary so much in opinion? Frankly its scary.
DX July 26 2014, IDC- StageII-3.2cm, grade 1, no lymph, ER+PR+ HER- Oncotype-DX 12. Lumpectomy 7/2/14 both breasts. Radiation, AI inhibitors therapy.
RaiderGirl

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 60
RE: Radiation Tips and Experiences - Friday, September 05, 2014 9:22 PM
I am having a treatment every day, 5 days a week for 35 treatments. 8 complete so far. My skin is very pale so I feared burns. So far my Brst is barely pink for a few hours afterwards. I use aloe 3 times a day and A&D ointment at night. The last two days I have felt tired but a short nap fixed that. Its going to be ok, you'll see. Good luck.
DX July 26 2014, IDC- StageII-3.2cm, grade 1, no lymph, ER+PR+ HER- Oncotype-DX 12. Lumpectomy 7/2/14 both breasts. Radiation, AI inhibitors therapy.
Penny H

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Radiation Tips and Experiences - Monday, September 29, 2014 4:44 PM
I've completed 19 radiation treatments with 14 to go. I am wondering about the fatigue. I have not really experienced this and would like to know if anyone can tell me something about it and when it should kick in. I'm noticing some redness and I feel some soreness every now and then. But, so far, I feel really good. Thanks! Penny
Change Page: << < ..41424344 > | Showing page 41 of 44, messages 401 to 410 of 432

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll