Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New Book..
JoGrif316

• Total Posts : 2263
  • Reward points : 10615
New Book.. - Saturday, June 07, 2008 2:35 PM
I just picked up a new book yesterday at Barnes & Noble....it's called "Five lessons I didn't learn from breast cancer (and the big one I did) by Shelley Lewis.

I was attracted right away by this paragraph on the back:

"From the pink ribbons to the chat rooms to the Web sites that sell related accessories and stuffed animals, breast cancer has morphed from a disease to an experience.  And at every step of the way, society tells women that this experience can teach them profound lessons, transform them into wiser, more insightful people, and maybe give them a peek at the meaning of life..........But what if it doesn't?"

It's funny in places, but she's also dead-serious about the fact that it really bothered her when people said things like "cancer is a gift" and "you need to keep a positive attitude all the time."  I actually thought something was wrong with me that I didn't get some kind of revelation that made the experience all worth while!  My journal is full of "maybe I'll get the gift tomorrow" entries...)

At one point, she talks about sitting at lunch with some of her very close survivor-friends.  They all agreed they loved each other, but if given the chance to forego cancer and never meet, they'd be just fine with that....

If you're feeling like you're just not the "BEST, CHEERIEST, MOST GRATEFUL  BREAST CANCER SURIVIVOR IN THE WHOLE WORLD"  this is the book for you....you'll realize you're not alone.

Joyce

Portland, OR. DX: 6/09/05 IDC lb Age: 54 PR/HR+ Her- Lumpectomy/SNB 6/22/05 Nodes Neg! 33X Rads Comp 10/12/05 Tamoxifen: '05-'10 PT for lymphydema in breast '06 BRCA Neg 7/08! Tamoxifen induced uterine issues '07-'11 Total LA hysterectomy 12/11

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll