Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My tips for chemo...
Change Page: << < ..1112131415161718 > | Showing page 14 of 18, messages 131 to 140 of 179
Her Dotness

• Total Posts : 564
  • Reward points : 4525
Re:My tips for chemo... - Sunday, December 09, 2012 1:12 PM
ClarieSue

Went to GP doc and had tests for yeast etc. infections, all clean.  I am attributing to mucositis.  Have all of the Dr. recommendations for the mouth pain, but any suggestions on vaginal issues would be appreciated.  Thank you, Clare

Clare, I'd suggest talking to your meds oncologist and possibly a gynecologist about this. This might be vaginal dryness aggravated (and aggravating you!) due to the chemo. GP's, terrific though they may be, oftentimes don't have the background to assess such issues for those of us dealing with the annoyances of chemo. Severe burning and itching were my primary symptoms of
"Sahara-there," as I jokingly referred to it. It was no joke, though, that's for sure!

I had terrible problems with skin and vaginal dryness during chemo. Already knew I had post-menopausal dryness and found that chemo made it even worse. I ended up using Replens every other day and sometimes daily. Shooting up KY jelly helped too.

Even once I'd finished treatment, I still had problems with skin, hair and "there" being abnormally dry. My meds onc said it can take several months for your body to adjust. And sure enough, I found that it took around six months after I finished rads for all of the above to get back to normal for me.

So, please consider getting some other doctors involved in helping you deal with this.

Wishing you relief, believe me!
Dot

dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
1/5/11 lumpectomy, SLND 2+, ALND - 
T1c, clean margins!
er +/pr + (My little nasty was an estrogen drunk, said my med onc.) HER2 -
Chemo: TC Done 4/30/11 
Rads:  Done 6/30/11 
Arimidex 7/11-? 
clapton12

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 1065
Re:My tips for chemo... - Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:10 AM
Well, after reading all the tips above i must say that this post contains helpful details regarding this topic. I would love to share this information with my friends as well.
Wintersmom

• Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 2570
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, December 14, 2012 1:56 AM
Ok silly question. O started Chemo yesterday. No nausea yet. Should I take the nausea meds to krrp it that way, or wait until I feel sick. I know it can take a couple of days
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13515
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, December 14, 2012 4:51 AM
Wintersmom its far easier to prevent the nausea than stop it once it begins, do continue to take them even if you feel you don't need them as this is the way they work, oh and no such thing as a silly question here!!:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Her Dotness

Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, December 14, 2012 1:58 PM
Yes, absolutely take them as directed whether you feel the need or not. My onc emphasized that doing that would significantly lessen any nausea that might arise. 

I didn't feel nauseous at all until after my second and later infusions. Not to be an alarmist, but that's something that may come at you in another month or so. Even then, I had such a good variety of backup nausea drugs that I never felt it more than slightly. 

What was more difficult for me was the stage at about that same point of not wanting to eat anything particularly. And that was most unusual for me, because I'm a definite foodie. 
dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
T1c, clean margins!
Arimidex 7/11-? 
Wintersmom

• Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 2570
Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, December 17, 2012 8:22 AM
Thanks ladies. I have been taking the nausea medicine and it has helped. Not too bad so far. So I can expect it to get worse than this the 2nd time ? We had family Christmas yesterday and I actually ate pretty normal, before that I was only eating toast and soup. Feeling much better after a good meal. Thanks for all of the advice
Her Dotness

Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, December 17, 2012 10:01 AM
Wintersmom

Thanks ladies. I have been taking the nausea medicine and it has helped. Not too bad so far. So I can expect it to get worse than this the 2nd time ? We had family Christmas yesterday and I actually ate pretty normal, before that I was only eating toast and soup. Feeling much better after a good meal. Thanks for all of the advice

If your experience resembles mine, and it very well may not to any extent, you'll have some days when you can eat pretty normally and then some when the whole idea of having to eat is offputting. Then, there's also the distressing times of not being able to stand anything but certain foods; my "brown-white-only" foods days which were days 3-5 after each infusion. That was really weird, but honestly, I only wanted foods that were either white or brown. Fortunately, those colors include chocolate even though I didn't often feel like eating that during w/b days.

But yeah, you will likely find that not only do your symptoms gradually get more intense but other un-fun ones will crop up after you've had several infusions. It wasn't until well after my 3rd one that I understood what the metallic taste in the mouth was like. Didn't have that at all before then. Others said they were bothered by intense smells in the house like "new car" that weren't actually there. That didn't ever happen to me. 

Some have sailed right through chemo with few or none whereas others have a much tougher time than I did or you've had thus far. Difficult to tell, but I found reading the chemo threads to see what others experienced helped me be aware what might happen to me at some point...and several things people mentioned did later on.

dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
T1c, clean margins!
Arimidex 7/11-? 
Maureen1

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 760
Re:My tips for chemo... - Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:59 PM
All the tips have been so helpful...I am at chemo now, finishing my last cycle of Taxol YAAY:) I started the dose dense program on September 19, 2012 with A/C every two weeks followed by Taxol every two weeks. Nausea was so much worse on the A/C but didn't lose all my hair til after the second cycle of Taxol. Now I'm losing the rest and my eyelashes and eyebrows. Guess there is an upside, I 'm not spending money on hair cuts/colors, mascara or razors since the hair on my legs is gone too! My nails began turning black on the A/C but Taxol has "darkened" them a little. 

As for tips...I use a frozen water bottle to grip during Taxol to try to keep the med out of my fingers and nails. I had developed some numbness and tingling in my finger tips that made using them tough and soreness on the bottom of my feet but the oncologist suggested taking a Vit B complex three times a day and it seems to have reversed all the pain in my feet and most of numbness. The most uncomfortable overall issue is the loss of taste and smell that started with the first cycle of A/C so I need a taster tester to cook. And the fact that some of my usual foods taste and smell awful so I can't eat them - chicken for example smells rotten to me all the time and I used to LOVE chicken but now I eat beef and ham. Also can't eat raw veggies or salad - which I love but they cause my abdomen to bloat and become painful because I can't digest the fiber. I had terrible constipation but oncologist suggested Miralax and I've no problems all if I take it every day. Can't drink anything but water and occasional unsweetened tea - everything else is like "battery acid" going down. so I miss my evening glass of wine and my diet coke with lime. But the candy, Biotene gum and mouthwash really help. 

I'm not doing radiation so I am going to surgery for a double mastectomy with reconstruction when chemo works it's way out of my body - probably late February. And I will do an AI long term. Dose dense is tough on the body so I definitely needed the Neulasta shots but I have been able to keep working thru this - I usually take 1 - 2 days a week off and work from home on those days if possible. Good luck to all who are just starting or still finishing chemo -it was so scary to start and then seemed like it would go on forever but 3 1/2 months went by faster then I thought it would...best wishes, Maureen 

shan72

• Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 2685
Re:My tips for chemo... - Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:03 PM
Huge thank you for all the tips. I'll begin my first of four rounds of A/C on the 25th. That will be followed by Taxol and Herceptin. Later, I'll have radiation and take Tamoxofin. Trying to get myself prepared. You sweet ladies were a sanity saver before my mastectomy. I know that I can do this!!
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13515
Re:My tips for chemo... - Saturday, January 12, 2013 6:05 PM
Shan for me the a/c was tougher than the Taxol and Herceptin but doable, just be selfish and listen to your body and rest as you need to!!! Good luck and remember to take the anti nausea meds too as its easier to prevent than stop once it starts, good luck!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..1112131415161718 > | Showing page 14 of 18, messages 131 to 140 of 179

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll