Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My tips for chemo...
Change Page: << < ..1112131415161718 > | Showing page 17 of 18, messages 161 to 170 of 179
Qryche33

• Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 5960
Re:My tips for chemo... - Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:22 PM
Hi, I'm new here and the first course of treatment for me is chemo.  I'm so glad I read these posts on here.  I had no clue what to expect and now I do.  Just one question.  How long is chemo usuallY?
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:My tips for chemo... - Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:45 PM
Hi, It depends on what regime you have, everyone is different and my own chemo lasted about five months approx!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Qryche33

Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, March 03, 2014 6:51 PM
Thank you Tricia, I guess it also depends on how many hours the visits are as well huh?  I'm so new to all of this!!!! 
Qryche33

Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, March 03, 2014 6:55 PM
Lisa, you are so brave.  :)  I hope I will be that way when the time comes.  I have very long hair, and will probably end up cutting it short here soon.  :)  
Ariel Sussman

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 170
Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, March 03, 2014 10:34 PM
Hello Ladies; I am still in the testing stages as of now....I have invasive ductal carcinoma...so far...I have an MRI guided biopsy this week for more "concerning issues" so I will know soon what my full treatment after surgery will be as well as what will happen for my surgery. Lot's of unknowns as of right now but I have faith and hope that it will all be ok! ...I have been told that Chemo and/or radiation is in my future...I appreciate the tips! Thank you :) Ariel
karey

• Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
Re:My tips for chemo... - Tuesday, March 04, 2014 1:25 AM
Tricia's right about everyone's chemo schedule being different. Everyone in my support group had chemo every three weeks except myself and one other person. Both she and I were triple negative and so we had dose-dense chemotherapy every two weeks. In my case I had four rounds of adriamycin/cytoxin and then I had four rounds of taxol. My chemo treatment covered a period of 14 weeks. Then I "rested" for a month before beginning radiation which lasted six and a half weeks.

As far as how long chemo infusions take, that also depends on what sort of drugs you are being given. Not all chemo is alike. In my case, I decided to see my oncologist on the same day I had chemo. I saw him bright and early on Friday mornings. They did my lab work first before I saw him and then while we were "chatting", my results would come back and he would approve me for chemo. I didn't finish until the afternoon. The a/c took less time than than the taxol. I would usually be done around 2:00 or so with a/c but I didn't finish with taxol until about 4:00 or so.

My husband came with me to every treatment except one when he was out of town. That week, some other family members were there with me. I remember he would also leave me just to go pick up some lunch for me. Because I was about 30 minutes away from where I was having chemo, I remember that we left very early to avoid the brunt of rush hour and we would get breakfast. 

I brought a laptop so I could watch movies or go online during chemo. At first I brought some books but quickly discovered that chemo whether it was from chemo or anxiety, I would get too hyper to read. 

I did not feel the effects of chemo for about a day and a half. It would hit me around noon or so on Sundays. The meds kept me from actually getting sick but I definitely could tell when it hit. I also experienced side-effect due to Neulasta so that didn't help matters any.
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!
DeniseOrlando

• Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 730
Re:My tips for chemo... - Tuesday, June 03, 2014 1:06 PM
One down 3 to go on the A/C. Then I do Taxol every other week for four weeks. I am not TN, but I did have it in three lymph nodes. I will be in the chair for Taxol for three hours!  I will then have 6.5 weeks of radiation. Seems like a lifetime ahead of me 

I don't feel great, but I am getting better every day. 
Army Mom

• Total Posts : 638
  • Reward points : 10290
Re:My tips for chemo... - Saturday, May 02, 2015 11:19 AM
Well looks like not much action on this site lately... I am getting ready to go through chemo for the 2nd time.

It has been almost 6 years since I went through it. I have my "fav things" list..but would love to see everyone else's list too !!

Favorite and helpful things ladies??
Grace 

Lumpectomy June 18,2009
4 rounds T/C DONE !
33 rounds of rads DONE !!
1 yr of Herceptin - DONE  !!!
2 yrs Tamoxafen/ taken off due to elevated liver enzymes.
oophorectomy 05/2012

March 27,2015 DX right breast
Lumpectomy April 16th 2015
To start chemo soon

54 years young  :)
Mother of 2 sons in US Army
Wife of wonderful husband
and of course I am now.
KOMAN STRONG  :)

kitty

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 270
Re:My tips for chemo... - Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:01 PM
Hi, my name is Susan.  Thanks so much for the chemo tips.  I haven't had the lumectomy yet; but chemo and RAD are in the future.  My SX is 6/30/15.

BRCA 1/BRCA 2  -
PR +ER + HER +
Grade II
DX in 3/15
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:My tips for chemo... - Tuesday, June 16, 2015 1:28 PM
I'm glad you found them helpful Susan, good luck with your treatments and be sure to keep us posted.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..1112131415161718 > | Showing page 17 of 18, messages 161 to 170 of 179

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll