My tips for chemo...

Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 8 of 9, messages 141 to 160 of 179
Wintersmom
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 2570
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, January 18, 2013 10:57 AM
Hi everyone, all of this information is so helpful. I have my last infusion of ACT next week and then I move on to Picliatexel. My Dr at first said this woukd be like a cold compared to the flu like symptoms of the ACT and also at first said my hair would most likely start to grow back on this drug. Now he says I could still be as sick or worse and my hair could continue to fall out, I have been pretty lucky with not being too sick to handle and I have not lost my eyebrows or lashes. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Paclitaxel.Thanks as always

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13515
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, January 18, 2013 2:12 PM
Hi Wintersmom, do you mean you're finished a/c and now begin Taxol?? (short for paclitaxol) and if so I found it far easier to tolerate than a/c, I didn't need any anti nausea meds at all, my hair grew back but I lost my lashes and brows and a couple of finger nails! I had a shorter dose weekly for 12 weeks so my side effects were not too bad at all and hope you do well with this med.:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Wintersmom
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, January 25, 2013 7:34 AM
Hi Tricia, yes that is what I mean. I just finished my last A/C yeasterday now on to the Taxol. I did not realize that was the short name. I will be glad for my hair to start growing back, but I will be sad to lose my lashes and eyebrows. I hope this will be more tolorable like you said. I had a pretty bad week after my last A/C Thrush, exhaustion, a cold that I still have, it was bearable , but that was my work of all. Thanks for all of the information
Donna
Mother of Winter

Liv
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 240
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, January 25, 2013 10:23 AM
hello - drink gallons of water - after couple of doses you will see a pattern emerging when all the side effects come to play. that is when you need to listen to your body and nurture it, dont resist you will emotionally collapse. xx
~~~~luvs liv~~~~ IBC - Trip Neg - 10cm - 17/24 nodes - dx April 2012 6 months chemo - mastectomy - rads - finished.. Currently xeloda - navalbine - looking forward to reconstruction 12/2013

Wintersmom
Re:My tips for chemo... - Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:08 AM
Thanks ladies, as always you are all amazing
Donna
Mother of Winter

Her Dotness
  • Total Posts : 564
  • Reward points : 4525
Re:My tips for chemo... - Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:15 AM
There are probably a lot of individual variations as to when a person will lose eyebrows and eyelashes, much depending upon what drugs you have had, I'm guessing.

I had Taxotere and Cytoxan and was so pleased that I never lost my eyelashes or eyebrows....until about two weeks after my fourth infusion just as I was about to start rads! I didn't fully lose my eyebrows but sure did all my eyelashes. It just plain sucked! Luckily, I had been a theater major good with makeup so could do skillful camouflage.

Of course, the upside was that I lost all my crone chin hairs too. Those I did NOT miss!

Probably the worst side effect I had was extreme fluid buildup in my legs after the third infusion, common with Taxotere. Even with medication, it took much too long to suit me for that to reduce fully, several months after I finished rads. I even had to wear compression stockings for some time. Horrible things, those!
dx 11/29/10 DCIS/IDC
1/5/11 lumpectomy, SLND 2+, ALND - 
T1c, clean margins!
er +/pr + (My little nasty was an estrogen drunk, said my med onc.) HER2 -
Chemo: TC Done 4/30/11 
Rads:  Done 6/30/11 
Arimidex 7/11-? 

shan72
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 2685
Re:My tips for chemo... - Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:48 AM
It has been a really rough few days. Friday evening (first round of AC) I began feeling nauseous. I remember laying in the bathroom floor unsure if I'd be able to do this for three months. I spent the night watching the clock, taking my anti nausea meds every four hours. The nausea has pretty much passed. Now I'm just tired! I sleep a majority of the time. I can only manage to stay up for about an hour before I'm ready for another nap. Truly, though, I am feeling a little better each day. I did go ahead and buzz my hair to 1/2 inch all over. I just didn't have the energy to wash and deal with it. I still need your prayers and for you to help me remember that this awful chemo has the power to kill those cancer cells, and that this is temporary!

Wintersmom
Re:My tips for chemo... - Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:28 AM
Hi Shan, I am so sorry to hear you are feeling so sick. I hope you are feeling better. Remeber no matter what this is just for now and it will get better
Donna
Mother of Winter

michelecuddy@gmail.com
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 790
Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, February 11, 2013 12:02 PM
I came through 4 rounds of dose dense AC with not too many terrible side effects but it also didn't seem to be doing too much.  My tumor markers kept rising.  I just finished my 3rd round of taxol and have had many side effects black fingernails, lost my eyelashes, terrible body aches for just a couple of days,  thrush, and blisters on my feet and nueropathy in my feet and fingertips but my tumor markers have dropped to below where I started this journey so I keep reminding my self that the Taxol seems to be doing the trick for me!
2008 dx DCIS  bilateral masectomy
2012 dx Stage IV Bone Mets  currently on AC and Zometa

Tricia Keegan
Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, February 11, 2013 1:51 PM
Hi Michele and I'm so pleased the Taxol is working so well for you despite the side effects, just remind yourself its all temporary. You may want to send Komen Admin a pm to change your username rather than have your e mail address?? I can't change it for you undfortunatly so you'll need to contact them directly.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

Wintersmom
Re:My tips for chemo... - Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:06 AM
I had my first dose of Taxol last Thursday. So far everything is good. The only side effects I have noticed are the continuing runny nose and itchy watering eyes. I have noticed my brows and eyelashes thinning. Hope my hair starts to grow back soon !
Donna
Mother of Winter

Tricia Keegan
Re:My tips for chemo... - Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:54 AM
I'm glad you have the first one over Donna, I lost my brows and lashes but my hair grew back so didn't mind too much! I also had the runny nose and itchy eye's, it goes once chemo is all finished but I never did find a remedy for it!
Carepage- survivortricia

Wintersmom
Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, February 18, 2013 12:17 PM
Thanks Tricia. My Dr said to try Zyrtec and it does help with the runny nose and itchy eyes. Glad to know that it will end. I had my 2nd Chemo last week and still doing great. Dr said it is ok to go back to work next week. I am so ready ! He thinks I will fly through the Taxol with no problems at all. It looks like my hair is growing back got little cute duckling like feathers on the top. I hope this means it will continue to grow back in. Excited for my own hair again
Donna
Mother of Winter

Tricia Keegan
Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, February 18, 2013 3:22 PM
Donna that sounds to me like your hair is growing back, don't be surprised if it comes back curly and grey though as this happened to many of us lol, its hair though right???:) Glad you can get back to work and good luck with the rest of the treatments!
Carepage- survivortricia

Wintersmom
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, February 22, 2013 4:59 AM
Thanks Tricia. Any tips on what to do when it starts coming in. For instance try to keep it uncovered as much as possible ? Shampoo ? oil ? It's just little duck hairs right now.. but I want to promote growth as much as possible without turning to chemicals.

Donna
Mother of Winter

Tricia Keegan
Re:My tips for chemo... - Friday, February 22, 2013 9:40 AM
Donna once you feel comfortable going without a wig or scarf I'd certainly do that and also use a baby shampoo or something equally as gentle, they say not to colour your hair for six months but I confess to using a vegatable dye on mine around three months as the grey aged me so much! At that time many of the ladies here all recommended a shampoo and conditioner called Nioxin and you can order it online, its a little expensive but lasts ages, not sure if it worked for me as I was still doing Herceptin so my hair growth was slow but you may like to google it and check it out.
Carepage- survivortricia

printersss
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 50
Re:My tips for chemo... - Monday, February 25, 2013 3:31 AM
My tips of chemotherapy is the Great tips of chemotherapy, You can take fiber and antioxidant agents for better result.

mcpijem
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 235
Re:My tips for chemo... - Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:36 AM
This is probably an extremely stupid question.  I have my first appointment with the chemotherapy dr tomorrow. Of course I don't know what to expect of the side effects, and I am very nervous.  

I am wondering what has been the experience regarding hair loss.  Does it falls after the first chemo, or does it take a bit of time ? Is it like a 99% chance I will loose it, ,or it is something that depends on drug, dosages, and other factors ? I do understand we are all different, but am interested on other people's experience. Also, I am 37 and was wondering if age makes any difference. 

I am pretty sure this has already been discussed in this forum so you can always just PM me.

BE WELL !
Maria 

Tricia Keegan
Re:My tips for chemo... - Sunday, March 17, 2013 12:37 PM
Hi Maria, sad to say that most of the drugs used for breastcancer do cause hair loss, generally around day 17 which was just after my second infusion, you could ask to try a cold cap but most people say they don't work well on helping you keep your hair. I think its better to cut or shave your hair very short as its less upsetting having lots fall out and remember it IS termporary and will grow back, age doesn't make a difference either, good luck and you could always get some really nice scarves or a wig or go au natural!:)
Carepage- survivortricia

LisaD
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 5395
Re:My tips for chemo... - Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:58 PM
Hi Maria, I have to say that my hair fell out about 12 days after my 1st round of chemo. I had my head shaved as soon as it started to fall out in the shower. It was much easier, emotionally and physically, to loose the little stubble than the large chunks of my hair. Unfortunately for me I had never worn hats or wigs and did not care for them even after I lost my hair. I chose to go "au natural" as Tricia put it. I got used to it very quickly and for the most part so did every one who knows me. My only stumbling block was the owner of the company I work for. He got over it though. I go shopping at the mall, out to eat, and everything else with my bald head. Only the young children stare and I don't mind. I started to get my hair back just before my last chemo and it is about a quarter inch long now (last chemo was 1/28). I have seen people with hats, scarves, wigs and just bald. It will be a matter of preference for you. Good luck with your treatment. Remember, this to shall pass...
Lisa, Age 51 @ DX Lumpectomy 8/30/12 
-1.5cm Stage 1a IDC Grade 2, DCIS Grade 3 
-ER/PR Poss, HER2 Equivocal 2(Borderline), FISH Neg, 
-Node Neg, OncotypeDX 25
- T/C x 6 (done 1/28/13)
-33 Rads (done 4/18/13)
-Tamoxifen (4/19/13 for 10 yrs)

Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 8 of 9, messages 141 to 160 of 179