Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor
Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 6 of 8, messages 51 to 60 of 79
mary l

• Total Posts : 1618
  • Reward points : 4355
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Tuesday, November 02, 2010 7:14 PM
Hi Ruth.  I am a IBC survivor for 7 years.  3 years cancer free.  My sister who lives in CA has been telling me about these different symptoms she was noticing on her breast. IE, discoloration of the underside of her breast, warm to the touch, burning sensation and nipple inverted and getting more inverted in a short time.  I know the symptoms of IBC all to well and I think she has all of them.  She had a mammogram and of course it was ok.  Then she had an ultrsound which they said was stable.  I sent my article about my fight with this cancer to her and her husband took my sister to a breast surgeon and gave the Dr. the article.  Well, now my sister is scheduled to have her affected nipple removed to see what's going on.  Have you ever heard about this?  I know I havn't and I am very concerned.  Why would you do thiis when you don't even know if she has IBC.  No mri or punch biopsly have been done.  I am very concerned.  If you can, please let me know what you think.  I'm going to try and talk to my onc. tomorrow.    Thanks,    Mary L
<message edited by mary l on Sunday, January 08, 2012 10:59 AM>
Diag. Oct 2003 with 6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, Inflammatory Breast Cancer stage IIIB, Her2+++.   I had A/C followed by Taxotere (only had 2tx as I had heart problems from it); Left Mastectomy followed by 35 rads.  Recurence in 9 months as skin mets to mast. site. tx Carboplatin/Herceptin,  stayed on Herceptin every other week for almost 4 years only stopping when my ejection fraction would get too low. off herceptin & ned 3 years in 2010
lihalee

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 100
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Monday, November 15, 2010 12:40 PM
Hi
  I am 37 years of age and I live in the Caribbean.  Late August a I noticed a strange sensation under my breast bear the rib, then a tingling/tickly feeling on my nipple and side of breast near armpit.  Sometimes my breast would feel warm, my doctor did an ultrasound,nothing showed up and put it down to glandular tissue pressing on nerve.  However he told me to do a breast diary for a month and come back to him.  I noticed at the end of October  one side of my bra  was getting tight.  I went back to him he has suggested a breast MRI.  I am due for a MRI on Thurdsday from the second of November when I last saw  him to today the breast has swollen considerabley. My bra is now a tight squeeze.  Of course he doesn't think it is IBC at all I think otherwise.  I think he is still looking for a red, rash,hot, swollen breast and as I have read IBC doesn't look the same for everyone. The next few days are going to be the longest days of my life
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Monday, November 15, 2010 2:31 PM
Well done for being so pro active Lihalee, I really hope it's nothing serious but better to check to be certain:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
lihalee

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 100
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:44 PM
I had my breast MRI based on the findings the doctor felt that a biopsy was not needed. The MRI showed both breast had a mixed fatty and dense background. The pre contrast showed no mass and no evidence of any inflammatory process. On the post contrast images the only abnormality was a 7mm mass that has features of a fibroadenoma. Nevertheless I said to the doctor "my breast is swollen and there is a mass there so lets see what that is" He did a core biopsy and on my insistence took a piece of skin.  I get my biopsy results next week
Ruth Coates

• Total Posts : 2475
  • Reward points : 1635
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Thursday, December 09, 2010 11:12 PM
MY humble appologies to any and all who have postede here and not heard from me.  I have been in FL caring for my mother who has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer.  She is undergoing chemo and I am helping her thru that.  So I have been absent here and from FB for the large part (just occasional lurk there.).  

Mary L, I congratulate you on your survivorship.  I have been NED or cancer free since 2007.  Your story sounds very typical of Drs who can't be bothered or mistake a breast swelling for infection or "ductal problem".  I'm glad that you are doing well and continuing so.  

As for getting back to that pre-cancer self, well every event in our lives changes us, and cancer is a huge event.  getting back to pre-cancer self is sadly probably impossible.  Its hard to strip away the knowledge of the end of one's own mortality. BUT (and its a BIG one)  you can make the most of the new self you've become.  A self-reliant, strong, and resilient woman.  We know the value of doing things today, because tomorrow may be too late.  Not that I want to have that in the front of my mind constantly, but it is there, telling me that one day it will be too late to say a kind word to a friend, or to tell my husband I love him, or give the advice my son needs to navigate life.  SO I do it now, along with the other thousand things life throws at us every day.  But when the opportunity arrives to do something special, I go for it.  Not to be hedonistic but to enjoy life and love the  life I have NOW.  Today is the only day I can do something about.

So, yes we've been changed but I say its for the better.  We are strong enough to challenge anything because we've already met the worst challenge of our lives and CONQUERED IT!  And should cancer rear its ugly head again, we'll do it again! Because we know we can!

If you'd like to, write to me privately.  My e-mail should be on my profile.  You can also find me on facebook under Ruth Coates.  Just remind me that you're an IBC survivor on Komen.  I'll probably remember you but you know, chemo brains! :)

Again sorry its taken me so long to answer...
Hugs Ruth
Paw Paw MI 
6/06 IDC,7/06 IBC (Inflammatory BC) RT
2 lumpectomies still no clear margins
chemo 8/06-12/06 
Bilat mast 1/07
rads 2/07, arimidex 6 mos, 1/08 femara, 10/08 aromasin
6/10 tamoxifen, now Rheum Arthritis
Pet scan NED x3 yrs
Kimby

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 3355
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Friday, August 12, 2011 12:59 AM
Hi Ruth,
 Thank you for the info on IBC. Do you know if it is common/possible to be diagnosed with IBC after being diagnosed with breast cancer that has a lump? I am freaking out here....just developed a red, warm-to-the touch breast while on vacation. It happens to be the same breast that I was diagnosed with breast cancer five years ago. The breast feels "full" and tender. I have also had lymphedema back when I was going through treatment. I had 12 nodes removed on that side. My arm is not bothering me, though, just the breast. The breast feels similar to how it felt (to a lesser degree), when I had mastitis back when I was breastfeeding. I'm not ill, no fever.
 I did go to the walk-in clinic tonight. I am not real encouraged as the PA stated a few "facts" which I know to not be true...breast cancer doesn't hurt....five years is the number we're shooting for in survival...since I had a recent mammo that was fine, there really isn't a concern. I know IBC is more rare. Still, you can imagine my concern with the history and all. I did come home with a heavy-duty antibiotic. The PA told me to follow up with my doc by the end of next week, sooner, if there is no improvement.
 Thanks, Ruth!
Kimby
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Friday, August 12, 2011 7:32 AM
Hi Kimby,

I just wanted to let you know that Ruth does'nt back here too often to check in but if you send her a pm she'll get an e mail notification from Komen and will be able to get back to you:)

Congrats on your five years and although I have'nt had ibc myself I know we all need to stay aware of the risks, hoping this is nothing sinister and you get some answers soon:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Nuzzys Nana

• Total Posts : 4498
  • Reward points : 10085
Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Friday, August 12, 2011 10:15 AM
Kimby,

I remember your name from way back! Are you the same person who used to post about 5 years ago?

Please let us know what you find out about your latest "scare". Someone who posts here recently had "cellulitis" in a breast with symptoms similar to yours. I believe antibiotics took care of things.

Best wishes.
Lumpectomy 4/14/05 at age 69
Stage 1, 2cm, Node Negative
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
BRCA2 positive (It's always something!)
No Family History
Kimby

Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Friday, August 12, 2011 2:57 PM
Thanks, NN...yes, I am one and the same! Haven't been on here for awhile, but it is nice to recognize many old friends! I have made an appt with my breast surgeon...figure he's the expert. I did have cellulitis in my arm on my affected side during chemo. That developed into lymphedema. So, defiinitely worth checking in with Dr. Joe. He treated my cellulitis and lymphedema. So, will let you know on Monday what he says. In the meantime, I am faithfully taking my Keflex, which was the same thing he prescribed for the cellulitis. Good checking in with you. Is all well in your little neck of the woods?

Kimby
Kimby

Re:What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer? From a survivor - Friday, August 12, 2011 2:58 PM
Thanks, Tricia! Will send her a PM. How are you and your feline friends these days?

Kimby
Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 6 of 8, messages 51 to 60 of 79

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread