Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 post-surgery tips
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 11 to 20 of 44
sharonma

• Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:post-surgery tips - Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:55 AM
Remember your post op restrictions and follow them to the letter.
If you have lifting restrictions, remember the 6 lb chicken can not get from the fridge to the oven without outside help. If you have lightweight cookware, use it for the first month or so.  The cast iron and le cruset are heavy, even empty.  No pushing (vacume cleaner ,mop) pulling (dog on the leash, opening, closing windows... even if it's raining!),
Check with your doctor about possibly getting some physical therapy post op.
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  
smarssygirl76

• Total Posts : 482
  • Reward points : 2430
Re:post-surgery tips - Monday, September 14, 2009 5:17 PM
Just reading through these threads to make sure I have everything covered. I am having a prophylactic mastectomy on the 25th and having my ovaries removed. My breast surgeon said a 3-4 night hospital stay. I bought 2 sets of pajamas with button up tops and capri bottoms, have my ipod, and a list of books to get to be ready. My Mom and Dad are coming the day of the surgery, as well as my Grandparents. Then my Mom will stay with me for at least a week or 2, and my grandparents are staying for a week. So I will have lots of help after I get home! Trying to think of anything else I may need. I wonder if hospitals have internet access, am I being unreasonable to think I may be up to using my laptop after a day or 2? I just can't imagine being in the hospital for that long.
smarssygirl76

Re:post-surgery tips - Monday, September 14, 2009 5:33 PM
I was also going to say, I thought I'd look a little online for a robe to take to the hospital if I was up walking around. I have a short one but it's heavy so I was browsing online and can't believe how expensive most of them are! From 35-150.00! Wow!!! Think I'll go for a 2nd gown on backwards :)
sharonma

• Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:post-surgery tips - Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:55 AM
Smars,
I forget what kind of recon you are having, but if it's a tram or diep, don't bother with the pj's.  A hospital gown is the only thing you will wear.  What about a discount store like walmart or kmart for an inexpensive robe?  Also pick up some prunes and stool softener to counteract the  the pain meds (constipating)
Sharon 
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  
smarssygirl76

Re:post-surgery tips - Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:54 AM
No immediate recon, thanks to needing rads. So I am having the mastectomy and ovary removal is all. I suppose I shouldn't say that's "all" because this is major surgery emotionally more than physically. I am going to walmart today so will check there. I do plan to have the DIEP recon in the spring.
pshelton

• Total Posts : 886
  • Reward points : 3060
Re:post-surgery tips - Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:49 PM
Hi Erika,
Do you have Target out there?  I got two inexpensive light weight robes there and they ran less than $20 each.  They also had cute capri length PJ pants and lots of cami tops.  I also bought a couple pairs of girly and cute slipper socks that looked like Mary Janes instead of going with hospital issue.  I felt if I was losing my boobs I was going to be in cute girly stuff.  I took Bath and Body works lotion and body spray too in a favorite scent. 
I did have internet access and most hospitals these days do have wireless so I did take my lap top and was on it the night after surgery for about 10 minutes and then got really drowsy again.  But was on it a lot the next 3 days plus I could charge my ipod from it or watch a movie. 
I was up walking around a little but with assist the day of surgery, I was pretty steady on my feet but not 100%, it takes a couple days for all the anesthesia to completely clear.  The next day I was fine and walked the unit I was staying on and even outside of it to the atrium area (pretty area with lots of sunlight and plants) and would sit out there a lot.
If I could do it again, I would stick with a clear diet and not go for the food too fast...constipation is a real issue with the anesthesia and the pain pump and the pain meds.  The only thing I would add is maybe ice cream but my last two surgeries I stayed away from solid food because after my DIEP I was begging for the suppositories and enema as much as 6 days out.  Walking around will help though, the more you move the better.
Can't think of anything else off the top of my head right now but if I do I'll post or PM...
Good luck!  I know your so glad to be getting this done and over with!!!

Hugs,
Paula
Paula, age 46, diagnosed at age 45, er/pr+, Her2-      
2/26/09 DX IDC multifocal, solid and cribriform type, 6 masses total, largest 2.0 cm
4/15/09 Bilateral skin sparring mastectomy with TE, 3 nodes removed, clear, Grade 1, Stage IIa
5/22/09 DIEP   5/26/09 Removal of failed left flap, TE replaced
7/2/09 Left Lat Flap with silicone implant
8/10/09-11/23/09 6 rounds chemo Cytoxan/Taxotere
3/5/10 More reconstruction
6/20/11 Final big reconstruction sur
smarssygirl76

Re:post-surgery tips - Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:57 PM
Thanks Paula for all the information :) We do have a Target here, I will check them and walmart out. I did get 2 sets of capri pant pj's with matching button up tops. I may look at getting a couple cami tops though for later. I will for sure take my laptop then! I am hooked on the tv series 24 and have 2 discs to watch still so that's 8 hours of something :) I love the socks idea, I will have to find some fun ones too, where did you get yours?

I am ready to have this over with, but still pissed as hell because I have to put off the recon!
pshelton

Re:post-surgery tips - Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:04 PM
I know!  I'm so mad because you can't get it all done!!  If I win the lottery I would so fly you to Maryland!!   

I got all my cute stuff at Target, socks too.  I saw some of the slipper socks a couple days ago and they were Halloween ones, too cute!  

Oh!  At the hospital, if they don't give you the breast cancer post surgery kits from the American Cancer Society ask for telemetry bags (pouches) they are perfect for keeping your drains in.  They hang around your neck and they can hold up to two drains (at least the ones my hospital used does) but if they just hold one that's ok, get extras.  Also I got extras to take home with me, had some just for the shower and others to wear around every where else.  I also kept my drains in a zip lock bag, those little pains in the butt tend to pop open when your sleeping and leak out all over so I sealed them up in a zip lock and then put them in my pouches.

Hugs,
Paula
2/26/09 DX IDC multifocal, solid and cribriform type, 6 masses total, largest 2.0 cm
4/15/09 Bilateral skin sparring mastectomy with TE, 3 nodes removed, clear, Grade 1, Stage IIa
smarssygirl76

Re:post-surgery tips - Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:09 PM
HA HA!! Keep me posted on the lottery winnings, I'd love to come out there :)

I will check out Target, gotta have some cute socks for this adventure!

That is so dang disgusting about the drains leaking! Good idea on the ziploc bag. I got one tank top from the breast cancer advocate lady when I first started this adventure. You think I can find it anywhere? I must have wore it once but who knows. I have the little fake boob padded things to go in it but no tank top!
pshelton

Re:post-surgery tips - Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:10 PM

Erika, 
Oh, one last thing, well, unless I think of more...lol....make sure they are giving you colace and senna starting the next morning. See if they'll write for twice a day.  That's for the constipation. When you get home, colace can be taken up to three times a day max, and I took it that often.  I used ducolax twice a day instead of senna just because at that time the senna and the colace/senna combos that were over the counter had been pulled from the shelves due to a contamination issue, I think that is resolved but really liked how ducolax worked so stuck with it for all my surgeries.

Paula

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 11 to 20 of 44

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages