Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: 12345678910.. > | Showing page 1 of 136, messages 1 to 10 of 1351
DJW

• Total Posts : 942
  • Reward points : 6180
Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:21 PM
This community may seem overwhelming at first and it may feel like you are joining a conversation in progress. We would love you to introduce yourself! Please introduce yourself to us, give your diagnosis, and tell us where you are in your fight against this awful disease. Someone will respond within a few hours (sooner if during the daytime) and welcome you to this community.
<message edited by DJW on Monday, July 13, 2009 6:06 PM>
Deborah, Albuquerque, 59, 5 year survivor!!

-Diagnosis: IDC & DCIS, Stage IIb, Grade 3, Triple Negative (3/19/08)
-No family history, BRCA 1&2 neg (Jun 08)
-A/C (4 DD Apr - Jun 08), Taxol (4 Wkly Jul-Aug 08), Taxol (2 DD Oct 08)
-Modified radical mastectomy with immediate saline implant (8/19/08), 3/12 nodes positive 
-NED!!! (Nov 08)
tiara

• Total Posts : 139
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:56 AM
Hi Everyone ~

My name is Tiara, I found out about 2 weeks ago that I have
breast cancer in my left breast. Needless to say I'm scared and
I want to make the right choice. I'm now waiting to see a
Plastic Surgeon which I will see on the 7th of July.

My husband is supported but my daughter is having a hard time
with it. I'm really trying to be positive and hopeful but its hard.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:22 AM
Hi Tiara and welcome to Komenville!

I'm sorry for your diagnosis but once you get an actual treatment plan and know all the details it will get easier.

if you'd like to copy your message and start your own thread I know you'll get many more replies as people will see it easier:)

Please take a look through the other forums for info/support and feel free to post any questions you may have as there's always someone that can help you.  As you can see below there are many other ladies just diagnosed too, you need never feel alone here and it's important to know you will beat this:)

Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, June 27, 2009 9:50 AM
Hi Taria!
Welcome! Sucks to be a member of this club......but this group of women are wonderful!  We even have a few guys here that support their wives and moms. 
We each deal with this disease differently, but all pretty much have the same fears, worries and we all occasionally panic, some after all treatment is finished, when everyone thinks we should be feeling fine.
So feeling however you feel is ok, and normal.  That is true for our families as well, each of them deals differently, some want to pretend "it"  doesn't exist, others want to be there to support you.   You don't say how old your daughter is but a lot of kids worry about how this is going to effect their lives, and they know it sounds selfish to ask that question so they don't but still wonder.  Maybe if you take your daughter out for a treat somewhere and have a girl to girl talk.......or maybe she would be more comfortable talking to her dad.  I am sure you would feel better knowing what is going on in her head so you can reassure her that yes, life may change for a while and she may have to help out a bit more but she still will be able to see her friends, play scoccer, or go to the movies.  Also she will take cues from you as to how to feel, I initally felt shame.....don't know why but that is how I felt so didn't want to tell people.  I got over that shortly and decided to tell friends and neighbors,  sometimes the gossip is worse than the truth. No, gossip is always worse. 
We are here 'round the clock and usually you will get an answer shortly if you post, and especially if you start a new thread.  Come back and see us anytime! Or private message someone if you want. 
Hope and strength,
Julie S   

Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-
WarriorDawn

• Total Posts : 6
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:46 PM
Thanks for being so welcoming. I've been reading posts for over a year now and just now joined Komenville. I was diagnosed with IBS February 2008. Started chemo in March 2008, right mastectomy in August 2008, 6 weeks of radiation that ended in October 2008. I continued on with Herceptin until April 2009. I have 2 beautiful children - ages 6 and 7 at time of diagnosis - that handled everthing so wonderfully. I'm a single parent so I didn't know how everthing was going to work out. The kids were great and with the help of my parents and friends the treatments were not that bad. I really blessed to have gone through everything relatively smoothly. Everthing was going along great and then just a few weeks ago - June 2, 2009 - I stared with a headache I've never had before. I tried to get rid of it with otc medicine and even tried some painkillers from my surgery, but they didn't work. I think I knew after a few days that something wasn't right. I called my oncologist on June 8 and told the nurse what was going on. They sent me for an MRI that Wednesday, I got the results on Thursday and was seeing a neurosurgeon on Friday. I had a 3 cm cancerous tumor on the right lower side of the brain. I definitely didn't think I'd be dealing with this. Luckily, it was a single tumor that was removed on June 17. Everthing went beatifully. So, now more than ever, I have to be more vigilant in recognizing any new symptoms, making sure my checkups are done, etc. I had planned to have reconstructive surgery in August but that will have to put off for now. I see my oncologist on Tuesday to schedule when to start the radiation. I know have new questions for him. Luckily, he's very patient and will answer anything you have to ask. I'll be home until after radiation, so hopefully I'll be keeping busy reading different posts and getting encouragement from everyone. Thanks for listening!

Dawn
IBC February 2008
HER2 positive
1 year of Herceptin
Chemo & Radiation March-October 2008
Right Mastectomy August 2008
Diagnosed & Brain Surgery June 2009
Set to start radiation on brain July 2009
Deb Allen

• Total Posts : 3188
  • Reward points : 3830
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:16 PM
Dawn, while you are still online, I wanted to shout out a Komenville Welcome.  You will find much more here than you ever expected, and each time you post, someone will learn more and be more.  In case you go offline before I get to catch up on all posts and responding to your post in the way it deserves...(AND THIS GOES FOR THE OTHER POSTS HERE I'VE BEEN SLOW IN RESPONDING TO...SHAME ON ME!!)  hugs and love...

Deb/aka Mimi
Deb/aka Mimi
Dx '03, ER/PR+, Her2+, Grade II, Stage III
SNB, 18 wks chemo  36 rads; 
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing
Still alive and kicking and ornery as ever...butterfly kisses to all

Deb Allen

• Total Posts : 3188
  • Reward points : 3830
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:21 PM
Tiara, you are in the most difficult part of this shit.  Newly diagnosed, still in shock, trying to figure out what to do.  And add in a child, and becomes even worse.  My first diagnosis, my youngest son was just 11, and a big time "mama's boy".  How old is your daughter?  Do you have a family support system nearby?  Please respond, because we ALL truly do care, and will help in any way we can.  Several survivors here (and you are a survivor, because you received the diagnosis, and are still here), have children as young as less than a year old, to grown kids and grand kids.  No matter, mothers are always mothers.

Read, ask questions, feel what you need to feel, and come back often. 

Deb/aka Mimi
Deb/aka Mimi
Dx '03, ER/PR+, Her2+, Grade II, Stage III
SNB, 18 wks chemo  36 rads; 
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing
Still alive and kicking and ornery as ever...butterfly kisses to all

Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:42 AM
Hi Dawn,

It sounds like you've really been through a lot but well done on getting through all that which must have been a scary experience.

There are many people on the her2 website who have had brain radiation so you may like to check that out for info www.her2support.org
Are they going to begin herceptin again as maintenance???
Tykerb is a drug like herceptin which is often given to her2+ as it crosses the brain/bloood barrier. 
I hope you continue to do well and I'm looking forward to getting to know you better, thanks for posting :)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
WarriorDawn

• Total Posts : 6
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:08 PM
Thanks for the info on her2 and the brain. I'll have to put the question of more Herceptin on my list to ask my oncologist. Thanks for the encouragement!
IBC February 2008
HER2 positive
1 year of Herceptin
Chemo & Radiation March-October 2008
Right Mastectomy August 2008
Diagnosed & Brain Surgery June 2009
Set to start radiation on brain July 2009
HilaryD

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:36 PM
Hi Dawn, I just registered so I can let you know about something I am doing with my treatment.  I was diagnosed back in 02-09 and am HER2+ I am on a trial for a drug called Lapatinib (brand name Tykerb).  What they are doing with me is they gave me 12 treatments of Herceptin that I am finishing in 3 weeks to be followed by a year of the Tykerb drug (pill form).  I have been told that the Tykerb is better at stopping and aiding with the brain tumors so they are thinking it is actually more effective than Herceptin.  At this point, it is just needing the final steps for approval and then...some are hoping...it might just replace the Herceptin.  Definatey worth looking into in your case I think.

But, no matter what you and your doctor choose GOOD LUCK you are now a survivor of my fears!  I hope if I do get a reoccurance, I will be as strong as you are.  Thanks for all your positive and supportave posts!  Again good luck and best wishes...

-Hilary
Change Page: 12345678910.. > | Showing page 1 of 136, messages 1 to 10 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread