Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 10 of 136, messages 91 to 100 of 1351
Ann B.

• Total Posts : 2920
  • Reward points : 5060
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, November 04, 2009 3:17 PM
Hi Sandie--I, too, am a 20 year survivor, this month.  I do not belong to any support groups except for Komen and I joined Komen about the time I had my recurrence--that was 7 years ago.  I count my survival from the date of my 1st diagnosis and both my diagnoses were in November.  I see my pcp every couple of months and my onc twice a year.  If you are not seeing an MD on a regular basis, now might be the time to see one and check about your health complaints.  Good luck.
                                                                              Ann B.

Ann B.
12/89--Lumptectomy of left breast for 2 sites of DCIS followed by radiation and 5 years of tamoxifen. ER/PR +
12/2002--Mastectomy of Left breast for recurrence. Nodes negative. ER/PR+ Her2-. Arimidex.
everydaysagift

• Total Posts : 192
  • Reward points : 1625
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, November 05, 2009 12:35 AM
Hi Chris,
I'm so sorry to hear of your mom's diagnosis and declining health.  A care taker's experience when a loved one has a long term illness is exhausting, frustrating, scary, immeasurably stressful and that only scratches the surface.  Re: less invasive treatment, "Google" offers many options when you experiment with the keyword language and keep it simple.  The social worker at your area hospital can be a good resource for support services in your area.  I'm sure your mom's personal comfort is your primary concern.  The two years you've shared through her changing illness is a gift, even if her level of awareness doesn't allow her to recognize it.  Remind yourself each day, you're doing the best you know how.  That's all anyone can hope for.  Remember to take a break now and then to recharge your batteries.  I hope memories of happier times help you through the days to come and I'm sorry for your trouble.  Know that your family is in the prayers of many across the country.  We're thinking of you and your family, take care, Diane  
mwd

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, November 05, 2009 8:25 PM
Hi Im new
<message edited by mwd on Friday, November 06, 2009 1:47 AM>
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, November 06, 2009 3:45 PM
Hi MWD,

Welcome but I'm sorry you've had to join us but hope we can help support you through this. I'd have been lost without the ladies here during my own diagnosis and still rely on them for support when things are bad.
If you start a new thread telling us a little of your diagnosis we can get to know you better and maybe answer any questions you may have:)
Good luck and remember this is treatable and do able, you can do it!!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
everydaysagift

• Total Posts : 192
  • Reward points : 1625
To: Hi I'm new - Friday, November 06, 2009 11:56 PM
Hi mwd,
Glad you stopped by, though we wish you had no reason to visit.....I'm new, too.  There's a wealth of information, insight, experience, comraderie, uplifting stories, and unending support here.  And an opportunity to connect with some of the most extraordinary, amazing, funny and courageous women on the planet.  When you're ready, we'd like to know more about you.  I wish you well and I'm sending good karma your way.  Sharing spirits await your return.

Take care........and have a happy........Diane
<message edited by everydaysagift on Friday, November 06, 2009 11:58 PM>
dawnmarie

• Total Posts : 9
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, November 07, 2009 11:41 AM
Hi...I'm new here and very scared. I found a lump in July of this year over my left breast and had lumpectomy done 10/26/09. Followed up with surgeon on 11/5/09 were I was told grim news of cancerous cells in margin even though he went back in and removed more during surgery. He says it is on the muscle wall and I have also developed lump on my right breast as well. He recommends double masectomy at this point and possibly followed by chemo if the margins are not clear after removal of both breasts. Removal of my double D breasts scares me to death but I know it has to be done. My question is what do I need to do to prepare myself after sugery? I am a 50 year old single woman and asked him how long I would be off work...he tells me approx. one week. What supplies do I need?
lymphdema5

• Total Posts : 19
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, November 07, 2009 11:58 AM
Hi my name is marie i am new here dx 2004 with well differentiated infiltrating ductual caricinoma 2.1cm 1/18 nodes positive axilla dissection estrogen+progestrone-Her-2- neu 1+ not overly expressed, S-7.14% Tumor grade 1/111 modified blook richardson score 4/9 nuclear grade 2/3 architecture 1/3 mitoses 1/3 microcalifcations identified in benign and malignant components. no lymphovasular invasive, invasive and in situ components 0.4 Cm from superior margin and 0.8Cm margins of resection. T2N1aMX surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, hormone therapy(arimdex)(one month only) history i went into early menopause at 37 had more then hot flashes so after natural remedies were exhausted i choose to take estrogen and progestrone (prempo) premian 8 years prior i quit taking these the day ofter i was dx i was feeding my cancer no more i did not have family history i was in good health i did drink more diet coke then water that has changed. I was only 47 in 04 now i am 52 So five years I am happy to say I understand 98% of all medical language i know that everywomen has their own cancer no ones is the same so when i couldn't take the arimdex it doesn't mean that i suggest others to stop remember i have only one positive factor, in closing today i have lymphedema and still take five different prescription medications and have not returned to work full time unpredictable swelling pain and meds really effect daily lifes and work styles i am happy to discuss any infor with anyone who asks 
lymphdema5

• Total Posts : 19
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, November 07, 2009 12:28 PM
Dawn I had double D's as well and are single I would like to help you prepare however your information is lacking in details, did they say anything about testing your lymphnodes? Please ask the surgeon what are the complications of axilla dissection if needed, and radiation after? Chemotherapy even if this is once a week for four weeks depending on your cancer, often women need a day to rest after treatment. Please find someone to drive you you will also need to fill out a form stating who you want to make medical decisions for you, I did not have family here. If you need someone to help you call hospital or someone on this site could lead you into patient advocate person at your location. Don't know what kind of insurance you have, it's good to know exactly what they cover up front. It is hard for single person to go threw however you are not alone I am here and all these other women will aways be here for you.

dawnmarie

Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, November 07, 2009 12:34 PM
Thank you Marie. I do have a 30 yr old son, 75 yr old father close by and a dear friend that will be taking me to hospital for surgery. At this point all I have is my pathology report from my lumpectomy. Size of tumor 1.8 x 1.5 x 1.0 surgical margins involved by carcinoma extending to resection margin. ER, PR & HER-2 all negative. lymphoid tissue noted with the tumor, suggests the lymphoid tissue reaction to the tumor. there is no distimct capsule identified. I will be going back in this week to see surgeon before surgery...not sure of all questions I need to ask. I did ask about radiation and he just said no at this point.
dawnmarie

Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, November 07, 2009 12:43 PM
forgot to mention I do have medical insurance - Blue shield HMO that will pay for surgery. I have to pay 50% of surgery up to $ 3500.00 which I am prepared for and it does say in my book that they will cover reconstructive surgery but my surgeon advises against this at this point until we see if margins are clear after surgery.
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 10 of 136, messages 91 to 100 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll