Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..101102103104105106107108109110.. > | Showing page 101 of 136, messages 1001 to 1010 of 1351
MamaT

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 5985
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, July 13, 2013 8:49 PM

Thank you for the welcome Tricia.  This was a difficult decision for me to even join a group talking about breast cancer, I am uncomfortable talking about myself.  I am most comfortable being in the background of things and being the one to care for everyone else, being married and having raised 4 kids my needs come last.    I actually put off going to my doctor when I first found the lump as I was caring for my Mom and dealing with her health issues and dementia.  Then when she passed away I went through a period where I shut down.  It was almost a year before I mentioned the lump to my doctor so am actually overwhelmed that it wasn't worse.  And along that lines I feel guilty that other women are having to go through so much more than me.  God Bless my daughter who was pregnant with our first grandchild while I was going through treatment.  she made me laugh, so often, kept telling me we could break the rules because she was pregnant and I have cancer.  My beautiful grandson was born the day after my last radiation treatment.  I most definitely have a reason to fight this and win!

Teresa

Tricia Keegan

Hello Teresa,

Sorry you had to join us but so pleased you found this early enough that chemo wasn't needed, many of us felt a lump around the radiated area which turned out to be scar tissue and I really hope thats the same for you, good luck and please keep us posted on how you get on!

Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:42 AM
Hi Teresa and yes, I think most of us can relate to caring for others and putting our own needs last but this is a time we all need to be selfish and care for us first, I'm so glad your daughter was such a great support to you and many congrats on the birth of your grandchild too.:)
You do indeed have much to live and fight for, I had never joined a support forum either before coming here but the ladies were so supportive and caring that it really helped me though and I like to pay it forward to others if possible.  
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Dee39

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 255
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, July 26, 2013 6:17 PM
Hello My name is Dara. I am 39 years old. I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma in one breast on May 13, 2013. I was unaware that I had a family history of breast cancer. Within the week I had a conversation with my father and learned that his older sister had breast cancer years ago. I had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction on July 1, 2013. So, I am a new survivor. I have been in pretty good spirits before and after surgery. Also, I have met a great friend along the way a fellow survivor who has been a great support to me and my family. Currently, I am now trying to determine whether to go with either alternative or traditional breast cancer treatments. Since being diagnosed, I have become an avid You Tube viewer of other survivors journeys through their surgeries and treatments. As a result, I have a strong concern with traditional chemo's stress on the heart, immune system, and side effects. I wanted to say thank you to all my fellow breast cancer survivors for your strength, perseverance and hope through this journey. :)
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, July 26, 2013 6:48 PM
Hi Dara and welcome,

I'm sorry for your diagnosis but I think you'll find most of us on here would advocate for traditional treatments as some of us have sadly lost friends to alternative one's since our dx and most that took this route are still doing well despite an aggressive cancer.  Of course we all make our own decisions and I hope you make the right one for you!  

There of course are some side effects for some people (not all) but I prefer the risk of that than a recurrance!!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
ElaineQW

• Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, July 27, 2013 7:26 AM
Hi Dara,

Sorry you had to join us but happy you found us.  I agree with Tricia regarding traditional treatments.  The small risk regarding the possible side effects you mentioned, need to be measured against the risk of choosing not to do the treatments.  That being said, I think one can do a combination of therapies - it does not have to be a choice between one or the other.  But that is up to you -- we must each come to our own decisions.  

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do and how you're doing

Hug
Elaine

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

BlondNorse

• Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 145
How to tell special needs child about the cancer - Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:47 AM
Hello.. I'm Kirsty and I'm a 52 year old mom who just found out I have breast cancer. I'm looking at all options here (doctor wants me to do lump surgery and radiation). Since I'm Stage 0, I'm getting a second opinion. What I'm most worried about is telling my special needs child. She worries terribly about me all the time even when I'm well. My husband and I are trying to come up with a honest, but gentle approach to telling her. We don't want to scare her but we want to let her know (she's a teenager by the way). I'm glad to be among those who understand what it feels like to hear those words over the phone after a biopsy. Kirsty
Tricia Keegan

Re:How to tell special needs child about the cancer - Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:25 AM
Hi Kirsty and welcome,

I just replied to your other post about the actual surgery, it sounds like you've caught this very early thankfully so any treatment should be minimal and prognosis very good indeed.

As to your daughter, I can only suggest there are some very good books aimed at children to discuss cancer in a gentle and non scary way so perhaps google that, good luck and keep us posted.
Carepage- survivortricia
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:How to tell special needs child about the cancer - Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:30 PM
Hi Kirsty. I'm glad to hear that you're stage 0, but I know that hearing that diagnosis is miserable no matter the stage. I'm no expert on this, but I had a thought about telling your daughter, and you, of course, will know whether it would be appropriate. It sounds as though her attachment to you is very powerful and means the world to her. Perhaps you can find a way to let her be part of the experience--your cancer buddy or something like that. There are probably ways that you can find for her to feel that she is helping you--doing special things for and with you so that she can be with you and see that you are OK at each step in the process.  Being part of this and not feeling excluded might make her feel less afraid for you and also very useful to you. I wish you all the very best.
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
ElaineQW

• Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:How to tell special needs child about the cancer - Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:02 PM
Hi Kirsty,

I can only add that I agree with Rena.  Children have an amazing capacity for understanding and I believe they suffer only when they feel "left out."  You and your husband know your child best and I'm sure you will find a way to let her know that you need medical attention without frightening her.  Follow your instincts :)

Hug
Elaine
 A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

karey

• Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
Re:How to tell special needs child about the cancer - Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:38 PM
Hi Kirsty, While my only child was 22 years old when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I was teaching second grade at the time. I questioned whether or not I should just simply vanish one day or if I should have a frank discussion with them. I chose to do the latter. Children are very perceptive and we are only kidding ourselves if we think they cannot detect that there is something "different" about us. As much as we try to hide it, cancer does have an impact on our behavior. Being open and honest with our children actually reassures them. When I told my students, the question came up as to whether or not I was going to die. I was honest and said that could certainly happen but I then began to talk about people who had survived cancer. Several of my students had grandparents who were cancer survivors and one student had a mom who was a survivor as well. I'm very glad I was open with them before I'd had my surgery. It made things much easier when I had to leave for the rest of the school year due to chemo. My son was not living at home at the time of my diagnosis but I remember the day I told him. I hadn't planned to do it that day but he cornered me. He knew that something was going on. If we are not honest with our children, they will come up with their own explanation as to what is going on and most of the time, that is far worse than knowing the truth. I was 14 years old when my dad was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in 1975. Hearing my dad had cancer was certainly not easy but I am very thankful for his honesty. Sadly, he passed away two years later but the knowledge of his illness caused me to realize that it is important to tell people that we love them and not take them for granted. Though it was a very painful and difficult time, I am very thankful that my dad was honest with me and those precious, precious moments that we had together during his last two years.
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!
Change Page: << < ..101102103104105106107108109110.. > | Showing page 101 of 136, messages 1001 to 1010 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll