Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..111112113114115116117118119120.. > | Showing page 113 of 136, messages 1121 to 1130 of 1351
Valley of Vapors

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 85
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, June 16, 2014 7:49 PM
Are you taking any hormonal therapy?  I was suggested taking Tamoxifen, but very torn.  I had my lumpectomy and lymph node negative, NO breast cancer in my family.  Not sure where the DCIS came from in the first place.  Thanks
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:09 AM
Many of us have no family history either, I've been taking hormone therapy for eight years now and thankful to have it to help avoid a recurrance, in your case I would take it for sure, at least give it a go and if it doesn't suit you can always switch to Arimidex or Femara as I assume you're post menopausal.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Kate85

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 90
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:18 PM
Hello Komen family,

I am 29 years old and I found out today that my mom (age 60) has breast cancer. I am scared, worried, and I think probably in shock. I feel like someone just told me I'm dying. I wish it were me going through this instead of her. 

My mom has been my protector, caregiver, friend, cheerleader, and is literally the most selfless, generous and kind person I have ever known. I don't understand why this has to happen.

I honestly don't know what to do right now, but as a 3-Day walker I know how strong the Komen community is and I am turning to you for hope, comfort, and prayers.

To all the survivors and co-survivors out there, I am amazed and humbled by your strength, courage and grace. Please know you are the reason I will continue to be an active 3-day walker, Komen supporter and raise as much money as I can to do my part in taking one step closer to finding a forever cure for breast cancer.

Sending love and positive energy to all,
Kate
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:58 PM
Hi Kate. I'm so sorry about your mom's diagnosis. From the way you describe her, she sounds like a very positive, strong person, and with your love and support, she will get through this. It sounds as though she doesn't know all the details of her diagnosis yet, and those will determine the kind of treatment she'll need. You don't mention whether your father is in the picture and, if so, whether he will take her to her appointments and be involved. Any support you can offer--such as going with her to talk to her doctor--will be very helpful. It helps a lot to have someone who can be a second set of ears or take notes. There is a lot of hope with a breast cancer diagnosis. Many of us here are long-term survivors--8, 10, 12 years and more. I was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer 27 years ago, and I'm doing great. Please let your mom know that we are all here for her (and for you, too, Kate, of course).
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
Kate85

Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:16 AM
Thank you, Rena!

I appreciate your support and your suggestions. It is comforting to know you have come out on the other side of this and as I mentioned before, you will continue to inspire me to be an active participant within the Komen org. 27 year survivor! YOU are amazing!!!!!!

Mom is going to get a second opinion at Dana Farber in Boston soon. The first doctors, surgeons, oncologist she saw here in Worcester, MA said she has a large mass in her right breast. It was not there last year when she went for her mammogram but the doctor said tumor growth can be like an "on/off" switch, and hers switched "on" since her mammogram last year. Due to the size of the tumor, she will need 5 months of chemo to shrink the tumor, and from that point they will evaluate if they will remove the tumor or do a mastectomy. After surgery they project 6 weeks of radiation. 

My dad has been with mom at her appts and I know he will be strong for all of us. I just found out all of this yesterday (I have been in and out of hospitals for last 5 days due to a hole in my eardrum) so I haven't been to her appts but I am planning to go with mom to as much as I can. 

My mom and I (and my dad and brother too) are so fortunate to have a loving and supportive family and network of friends who I know will be with us every step of this journey--and for that I am so thankful.

Rena, when mom starts chemo, what can I expect? Do you have any suggestions on how I can be the best caregiver, cheerleader, positive influence for her?

Thank you for taking the time to connect with me, it is comforting in so many ways.

Kate 

Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:51 AM
Hi Kate and welcome and thank you for walking for all of us, I'm sorry your Mom was dx with this too. I'm so glad Rena reached out to you and she continue's to inspire and give all of us hope at her amazing survivorship. I just heard yesterday that my Mammo was clear which makes me nine years out now, I had a very aggressive BC and was fortunate to have Herceptin which saved my life as before that my prognosis would have been very poor indeed. I also positive nodes and the reason I tell you this is to give you some assurance that chances are your Mom will be fine. We have a chemo forum where you can get a lot of advice and tips from people who have gone through it all, off the top of my head I'd suggest making up a comfort basket for your Mom, this include tissue's, warm throw/blanket, books or puzzles, water, in fact whatever you think she may need or want with her during the infusions as chemo can take some hours in many cases. In my case my daughter bought me an Ipod and put all my favourite music on it which I loved and I still have it with me these days when I go out for a daily walk. My best wishes to you both and your Mom is lucky to have a supportive family with her!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
ElaineQW

• Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:50 PM
Hi Kate -

Rena and Tricia have shared the best advice.  I just wanted to jump in to let you know that my tumor was 9.5cm…very large…and not seen on a mammogram ever!  It took ultrasound and MRI to finally nail it.  I had two out of four positive lymph nodes and I was hormone positive.  I had left breast mastectomy (shrinking it first was not an option), chemo and radiation.  Bottom line:  Here I am six 1/2 yrs later doing fine.  So take heart -- there are many positive stories.

I'm particularly happy to know that you have a loving and supportive family…that, in itself, is great medicine :)  Take care and good luck.

Hug
Elaine

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Kate85

Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:05 PM
Thank you thank you thank you Tricia and Elaine, you are amazing women and I am going to share your stories with my mom. We will draw strength from both of you! I knew that turning to this community would be a great support. I am thankful for each and every one of you!!

I love the idea of a comfort basket, Tricia, and the iPod as well. My mom is a singer so music has always been an important part of her life. I'm sure it will continue to play an integral role in this stage of mom's journey. I will check out the chemo forum as well for advice and suggestions.

Thank you for the well wishes :)
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:28 PM
Kate these days I'm left to put my own music on my Ipod lol, but Sarah started me off, she also signed me up with an e mail address (I was searching for info on my phone which was costing a fortune) so that was how I came across Komen and made so many friends across the ocean. I loved they were all there for me at the touch of a button day or night and have been here ever since to hopefully pay a little of that help forward. I'm sure your Mom would love that and maybe she can chat to us all here ? with your help it could give her the support she needs, I didn't like the idea of a walk in support group so this suited me perfectly, no wig and in jammies, no one could see or would care and I'm grateful to have made some life long friends here and even met a few when they visited Ireland. 

Best wishes and I'm glad some of this helped, please be sure to update us and ask any questions you need to if it helps!Pals
Carepage- survivortricia
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:26 PM
Kate:  Good wishes to your mom.  A strong support group is a wonderful help and glad she has one. Thank you for walking and raising money to help try to find a cure for this dreaded disease.

The comfort basket sounds like a wonderful idea.  If your mom feels up to it, you might want to begin shopping for some comfortable clothes that she can wear during treatments.  Try to do some fun things before treatment begins if you can.

Good luck. 
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Change Page: << < ..111112113114115116117118119120.. > | Showing page 113 of 136, messages 1121 to 1130 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll