Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..121122123124125126127128129130.. > | Showing page 121 of 136, messages 1201 to 1210 of 1351
Nuzzys Nana

• Total Posts : 4498
  • Reward points : 10085
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, March 04, 2015 11:27 PM
Dear Twilight: "Could be" is not an opinion I would be comfortable with. As Tricia suggests, see a breast surgeon for a more definitive answer. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Lumpectomy 4/14/05 at age 69
Stage 1, 2cm, Node Negative
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
BRCA2 positive (It's always something!)
No Family History
tstwilight

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 60
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, March 04, 2015 11:43 PM
Thank you Tricia. It helps to know I'm not being obsessive for an unnecessary reason. I'm going to start the process ASAP.  I'm scared, but I'm praying for the best outcome imaginable.  Prayers for everyone going through cancer and for their families/friends.  So many are touched by it now.  I'm thankful that this site is provided to women in need of answers, encouragement, support, and to simply voice concern.  You ARE making a difference.  Thank you for all that you do to help others!  Take care Tricia and again, thank you for listening.  
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, March 05, 2015 3:24 AM
You're welcome and please keep us posted on what happens and I hope it'll be good news.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Peggy70

• Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 655
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, March 12, 2015 6:27 PM
Hi i just had lumpectomy surgery yesterday for dcis. Also snb.   It has been pretty painful for me today.  I know everyone is different but has anyone experienced this?  Seems like most did not have any pain.
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, March 13, 2015 10:25 AM
Hi Peggy,

I think pain is normal after this as you may have some nerves cut or damaged or just bruised and I know I had pain for a week or so. If they gave you pain meds do take them regularly rather than just when you need them, also be sure to do any exercises they gave you to, it will get easier!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
Katalbny

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, March 15, 2015 9:42 AM
Hi.
I'm new to this site and breast cancer.  My name is Kathleen, I found out on February 13, 2015 that I have stage 0 DCIS when I was recovering from brain aneurysm surgery.  Total shock and very overwhelming.  I live alone with my dog and have elderly parents.  I'm pretty much alone during this frightful time of my life.  I start radiation on march 17 and I'm a wreck.  No matter what stage cancer is, it is scary.  My fear is it coming back to another part of my body and how did I get it in the first place.  Would love to chat with anyone with BC during this difficult time. 
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, March 15, 2015 1:15 PM
Hi Kathleen.  I am sorry about your diagnosis especially with everything else that was going on.  Believe it or not, you are fortunate because it was caught so early.  The fear of cancer returning is one that we all face.  The only thing we can really do is fight like hell and be more diligent in followups as well as paying more attention to our bodies.  Treatments have come along way and more information is available now then when our grandmothers and great grandmothers were diagnosed.  Did you have a lumpectomy?  With radiation and drugs it can help keep the disease in check.

Don't feel that you are alone.  While we may not be there in person, we are here for you in spirit.  There are many women on this site who have or are under going what you are.  We can comfort the best way that we can whether it is advice, an ear to listen, a shoulder to cry on.  We are here.

Good luck with the radiation.  

Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

grace cee

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, March 22, 2015 12:04 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Grace and I'm on this forum because I would really need some advice about cancer.  Last December of 2014, my mom was diagnosed with a non-invasive ductal carcinoma (stage 0) type of cancer.  It was seen after a mammogram and a surgical biopsy procedure. Her doctors said that all the malignant cells were already removed during the surgery and her recent blood tests and a follow-up mammogram showed clear results with no more signs of cancer.  Me and my siblings are happy with the result but we are undecided whether we would let her undergo radiation therapy as a follow-up treatment to reduce the risk of the cancer coming back.  We were told that there is about 11% chance of it coming back so we are given the options to either not do it or go for it.  The radiation treatment should lower the risk of a recurrence down to around 2-3%.  My mom is 68 years old.  She has a high blood pressure and is diabetic, but she is regularly checked and consistent in taking her meds so overall she is in good health.  Aside from muscle aches and pains every now and then, she can function very well and can take care of herself.  Thinking about the side effects of radiation, I'm not really sure if she's better off not doing it?  The doctor said that since she doesn't have a very large breast then the exposure won't be that much.  If the cancer comes back, there's a chance that it will be invasive or the same non-invasive that she had.  My siblings are leaning towards getting the radiation treatment for my mom but I am still 50/50 about it.  So I am here asking for advice from people who have done it or have experience with it as a family member of someone who has been diagnosed (just like me).  The doctor said that there's only 1% risk to the lungs and almost 0% to her heart considering that her cancer was on the right side.  Is that true?  How about the side effects to the healthy tissues around, is it something that she will be able to tolerate moving forward after the treatment?  Sorry this is a long intro, but I would really appreciate every advice I can get since we are trying to decide if we're doing the treatment or not.  Thank you so much for reading!
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, March 22, 2015 12:38 PM
Hi Grace. This is such an individual decision because no two people have exactly the same situation, and no two people will react to radiation in the same way. I had very little trouble with it. I had a moderate "sunburn" followed by peeling skin, but it healed well. I was 37 years old at the time, so the experience of a 68-year-old might be different. Her doctor is aware of her other medical conditions and how they might affect radiation treatments. 

I'm giving you a link to a very reputable and useful site: http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation This has a lot of good information and good guidelines, but your mother will have to decide based on her particular case whether or not radiation will have enough benefit for her. Ultimately, her doctors are the best source of information. I'm a believer in peace of mind. If having radiation will increase her peace of mind, then it may well be worth it. I wish you all the best with this decision.

Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, March 22, 2015 12:47 PM
Hi Grace,

I found radiation to be a breeze and only tiring due to the fact I had to travel there each day, but have had no side effects from it all. I'd urge your Mom to have it, the rads can zap any stray cancer cells that may be lurking and it only takes one tiny cell to root somewhere and grow into a tumour. I'm very pleased my own cancer was treated aggressively which is why I'm still here ten years later and doing well. If you check the radiation forum on the site you'll get lots of tips and advice there should your Mom decide to do it.
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..121122123124125126127128129130.. > | Showing page 121 of 136, messages 1201 to 1210 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll