Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..131132133134135136 > | Showing page 133 of 136, messages 1321 to 1330 of 1351
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, March 11, 2016 2:18 PM
I'd have to echo what Karey said, you can still get breastcancer even after a mast although the risk is slightly lessoned that if you get a lumpectomy but the over all survival prognosis is the same. I was glad a lumpectomy was the right decision for me but think Tina is right in say that perhaps talking to your Dr may help.

I also had my ovaries removed after treatment to try to lesson the risk of Ova cancer as two are closely linked, there are no guarantee's of course but I have no regrets, good luck with your decision whatever that may be.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
eowynshieldmaiden

• Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 955
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, March 18, 2016 8:17 PM
Hey, everyone -

I just wanted to stop back in and say thanks - it's been too long since I posted. But for good reasons. :) I was dx fall 2015 w/stage 0 DCIS secondary to Hodgkin's radiation therapy. Conservation was not an option b/c of my prior history of radiation. I elected to make my mastectomy bilateral. I did not need chemo and they did not recommend tamoxifen given that I was allowing them to take both breasts and three sentinel nodes on the affected side. I was ER/PR+ but HER-2 was not done since I was stage 0 confirmed pathologically. 

My mastectomy was 11/9/15 and I'm doing great. Everything went so well. My surgeon was stellar and everyone at the hospital treated me so kindly. I got to have supper that night and hospital food has never tasted so good. Got to go home the morning after. I opted against reconstruction b/c the autologous kind was what I wanted, like a DIEP flap, but those were not options - again, due to medical reasons related to my health history - and I didn't feel confident that implants were right for me, given my feelings about how I want to manage my body and my history of immunity issues caused by my Hodgkin's treatment and meds I have to take for other chronic conditions (I feared recurrent and/or life-threatening infections might become a problem; the infection risk was disclosed to me, and I took it seriously). This has proven to be the best decision for me personally although I would never ever disparage anyone who thought she'd feel better with them. I healed up really well and am planning to be fitted for prostheses soon. :) I know I've waited longer than I strictly had to, but I wanted to really, really let the swelling all go down and just get comfortable with my new body first. 

It's been an easier adjustment than I anticipated. I find I'm actually very comfortable going in stores and libraries and restaurants without breasts. My feeling is most people (a) aren't looking/paying attention, and (b) don't care even if they notice...but (c) it's none of their beeswax anyhow, b/c it's my body and hey, I'm a three-time cancer survivor and I'm not even 43 yet. I'm clearly tougher than anyone who might choose to stare! ;) After all, "those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." :)

I want to especially thank everyone here who reached out to me after my posts and contributed their time, energy, and valuable experience and knowlege to help me cope with this new challenge. It's thanks in part to all of you I was able to cope successfully. :) Thank you all. I'm sorry I just vanished, and I wanted to let you all know whatever became of me. :)

*thanks and hugs*

All my best,
Eowyn :)
eowynshieldmaiden

• Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 955
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, March 18, 2016 8:22 PM
Dear Nan - 

I just have to say I LOVE your avatar and Pete the Cat saying! I am a BIG fan of Pete the Cat. My mom is a retired teacher who still tutors, and she got me "hooked" on him. He's got a great attitude, and it sounds like you do too. :) I hope your treatment situation is coming along well and I wish you all the best. Hang in there!

-Eowyn :)
Stage 0 (DCIS) dx 9/15
Bilateral mastectomy w/sentinel nodes 11/15

CyndiG

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 795
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, March 19, 2016 1:06 AM
My name is Cyndi. I was diagnosed with IDC on Dec. 8, the day before my 43rd birthday - happy birthday to me! I had the first MRI on Dec. 10; this was unreadable because I’m premenopausal. I had the second MRI on Jan. 4. This led to having a biopsy on the right breast (IDC is on left side). That biopsy came back negative - yay! My BRCA test came back normal - double yay! I had my lumpectomy on Feb. 10; Stage 1, tumor was 1.8cm, clean margins, no spread to lymph nodes, triple positive. I had the port surgery March 17, and start treatment on the 22nd. 4 rounds of AC, 12 weeks of Taxol/Herceptin, then 6 weeks of radiation concurrent with herceptin (8 months) and oral hormone therapy. Other than the frustration of hurry up and wait, I’m in good spirits overall. Of course that may change as treatments go on, but right now I’m looking forward to moving forward with my fight. My aunt is a two time survivor and she is my inspiration. If anyone has any words of advice for what’s ahead, please feel free to share!
Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, March 19, 2016 3:55 PM
Hi Cyndi,

I also was triple positive and you can get lots of info on www.her2support.org or send me a pm, thankfully Herceptin has worked wonders for this type of cancer and I wish you well with your treatments.:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
CyndiG

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 795
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, March 19, 2016 4:43 PM
Thank you, Tricia. I will check out that webpage! I've heard good things so far about herceptin. I'm so glad that research has come as far as it has!
363196a

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, April 02, 2016 4:42 PM
Hi - This is my first post.  I was diagnosed in Dec '15 with cancer in both breasts and had two lumpectomies in Jan.  Surgery went well.  Left breast was invasive but of a less aggressive type and right breast DCIS but cancer was of a more invasive type.  Radiologist told me to have a further DNA test on sample from right breast.  After waiting for over a month for results, I was told sample had somehow been destroyed but I should go ahead with radiation in both breasts.  Am in my second week of three week radiation in left breast and four week in right breast. Side effects mild but I wonder would the information ave been valuable if the sample could have been tested. 

Cathy

Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, April 03, 2016 9:06 AM
Hi Cathy,

Well done on getting through the surgery and rads so far and I'm glad you're not finding it too difficult so far, we have a rads forum too which you may like to check out.  I'm sorry the sample was damaged which must have been very frustrating, maybe they can another or do a blood test for a genetic test?  Good luck with the rest of your treatments and keep us posted.
Carepage- survivortricia
DawnLight

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, April 08, 2016 11:40 AM
I am introducing myself & hope I am in the right place on this forum.  I had difficulty navigating here.

Anyway, I am here relating to my 50-year-old daughter.  Yesterday she told me masses were found on both breasts.  One breast has a small, hard nodule.  The other breast has a larger, softer mass.  She will have biopsies next Tuesday, April 12, 2016.  We live close by. I will go with her.  My daughter has one child, a son, age 10.  She is divorced, lives with her son & her fiancé.  

I am able to be calm & supportive with her when other things have happened, & I will do the same now.  However, a few hours after I got off the phone with her yesterday, after the initial news, my mind went wild with "what if" possibilities.  

She has been very healthy all her life.  Life happens, but I felt she would be healthy forever.  I know, wishful thinking or other defenses.  There is one history of breast cancer on her paternal side, an aunt.  No cancer at all on my side.  

I have another adult child, a son.  He lives a 10 hour drive away, near his father.  I am divorced.   And we also just found out that my ex-husband has a bone tumor, biopsied today.

Last night there was no one available to call to talk to.  I have found online support groups beneficial for myself.  Hence, I search today and found this site, Susan Komen.  

I hope I am not offending anyone here already diagnosed.  But from what my daughter told me, I am very concerned.  Anxious, to put it mildly.  I am an RN, social worker, but a MOTHER first.  
Thank you for reading this.   And my thoughts are with you too <3 

Tricia Keegan

Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, April 08, 2016 3:14 PM
Hello Dawn and welcome although I'm sorry you had to join us here. This is a very scary time for you all I know, but your daughter is doing the absolute best thing by having these masses biopsied which as you know is the only way to be certain or what this is.  You may also be aware that most lumps found are benign and I really hope this is the case for your daughter.  It's great she has you for support, IF this does turn out to be something sinister I do hope you'll be reassured in knowing that there's every chance it's been found early so any treatment should be minimal and prognosis excellent.  Thankfully cancer is no longer the death sentence it once was and this is particularly true for breastcancer and there are many long term survivors here who even had spread to lymph nodes and are still doing well including myself.  I'm very sorry too in reading of your ex husbands diagnosis and do wish him well with his treatments, I wish I could help more and there's no doubt the waiting is the worst but do try to remain positive and keep an open mind until you hear otherwise and I hope you'll keep us posted. Pals
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..131132133134135136 > | Showing page 133 of 136, messages 1321 to 1330 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll