Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 16 of 136, messages 151 to 160 of 1351
sher96

• Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:11 AM
Diane,
Thank you for the well wishes and good Karma!!

Sheryl
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:14 AM
Sher, you'll find the triple neg ongoing thread here-

http://apps.komen.org/forums/tt.aspx?forumid=72
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
psavast

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:38 PM
Hi...I am new here.  I am 5 weeks post op bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction / expanders.  I started my chemo treatment this past Monday. Today is the first day of not feeling so great....physically and emotionally.
I will write more in time..I just wanted to check in on this website and connect.
I have wonderful friends who are very supportive however there is an element of needing more understanding...which would only come from those who have either gone through this or are going through it.
I am sad, scared, lonely at times....worried about returning to work.....and coping with more physical loss.
I am open to any help......and hopefully one day I can offer help to others.

girl24

• Total Posts : 47
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:02 AM
Hello!
I am glad that you are reaching out!  I had a Bilat Mast on 10/13 with expander.  I have had two expansions and they have not been bad at all.  I just finished my 2nd round of chemo T/C regimen (12/3 and 12/30).  The first round was not bad,  day 5 - 8 I was feeling tired.  I would do some things in the morning and rest in the afternoon.  The s/e effects for me were dry mouth, metallic taste, queasy and fatigue.  It seems that my 2nd round is following that pattern.  I took all the prescribed meds, I took the Tylenol and Claritin for extra 2 days to combat any bone pain.  I have drank a ton of water.  Lemon Propel is great!  I was worried about the physical toll the treatment would take.  I have three children but it is not to bad.  They have taken on some responsibility and have done well.  What is your treatment (chemo meds)?  What was your DX?
Again, I am glad that you have reached out.  It is so helpful to talk with someone who had gone thru this.
KarenV

• Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 1255
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 02, 2010 4:16 PM
Happy New Year All!!  So glad to see 2010 come! 

I am new here as well, though it has been one year since I started this battle.   I was diagnosed Novermber 2008 with Inflammatory Breast Cancer, stage 3B in left breast, age 48.   I began chemo on 12/31, mastectomy in May 2009 with reconstruction at that time with expander, a couple more surgeries to get missed cancer, tumour was 11 cm and 8 positive nodes of 12 removed, radiation for 7 weeks - July - September.   

Now living with no evidence of disease, but with the 'sword of Damocles" ever dangling.   I am healthy now, exercising and eating better.    But worry more than I did before about it's return. 

Am on Tamoxifen, and experiencing night sweats and bone pain.  does anyone know about bisphosphanates?

And I am really wondering, Rena, what have you done? 

In this last year, my youngest daughter at 22 got married, I've had 2 grandchildren that are lovely, and my elder daughter (27) and I started a Fair Trade Store.     thanks for listening....

Karen
Karen

Diagnosed November 2008, Age 48
IBC
4 AC (dose dense)/4 T treatments-done 4/2/09
mastectomy on 5/8/09   11.2 cm tumour  12 lymph nodes removed, 8 positive    reconstruction at same time
2nd surgery to get missed cancer   
33 rads...done on 9/4/09
HER2-, PR-, ER+ currently on Tamoxifen
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 02, 2010 5:18 PM
Welcome to all our new friends. Karen (love your name--my one and only child is named Karen), I am asked that question a lot, and my answer is always the same: The best thing I've done for myself is to work on my mental health and my spirit (I don't mean religion, but I know that religion is very helpful to some people) over the years. I can't claim any special diet or exercise regimen or any special supplements. I'm not saying that those things can't help, just that I haven't gone that route. Believe me, I'm no paragon of mental health, but I've tried to learn to be kind to myself; to laugh more; to surround myself with people (and cats) who give me joy and to stay away from people who are "toxic" (I've yet to meet any toxic cats!); to know myself and accept myself for who I am; to say no more often to things that will stress me. I wish there were a "magic formula," but there's not. I think we all just have to choose what seems right to us. Just remember that I beat this disease after being told that my prognosis was poor, and I know I'm not the only one. I'm sending good wishes and a hug your way. Love, Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
wisdomtooth2020

• Total Posts : 8
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 02, 2010 6:00 PM
Hi. I am new to the Komen site. I decided to visit here after my sister was given a terminal diagnosis for breast cancer just a couple of weeks ago. I am 49 - 50 this month. Both my mother and my sister are breast cancer survivors to date. My mother was diagnosed at age 69 and is cancer free after nearly 9 years. My sister was diagnosed about 4 years ago and has just learned the cancer has moved to her bones. I am hoping to connect with other family members here who have had this type of bad news. I am having a terrible time accepting this prognosis. Thanks.
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 02, 2010 6:46 PM
Hi Wisdom. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. One thing you should know is that many women live a long time with cancer that has spread to the bones. If your sister has faith and trust in her medical team, that's good, but she should never hesitate to seek a second opinion about treatment because the way her cancer is approached early on in this new diagnosis is very important.  This is a wonderful site for support and information. Another good one is breastcancer.org. They have a message board specifically for family members and support people. You may find others there going through this. Another thing to consider is a support group for family members. Many medical centers offer such groups. It could help you, and by helping yourself deal with this, it could make it easier for you to help your sister. I wish you, your sister and the whole family the best. Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
paris

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, January 02, 2010 8:24 PM
Why thank you, I feel right at home now.  I had a freind pass away several years ago and it has been on my heart to raise awareness for early detection as well as more funding in this area.  I have a book that comes out on May 15th, which supports breast cancer awareness as well as bears the BSE in the back of the book.  I am ready to do my part in helping raise awareness, Thank You.   Please visit my site http://parisdrakeinc.com/
mmworley1

• Total Posts : 4
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, January 08, 2010 10:12 AM
Hey everybody,

My name is Megan. I am 21 years old. I was diagnosed with breast cancer about 2 months ago in my left breast. I have been determined to beat it on my own, but am quickly learning that I cannot. I am in my senior year of college and am currently in student teaching. I will graduate in May if I can stay in school this semester. I am scared. The whole discussion board thing is new to me and I don't know anyone here. I typically am slow to open up to others. I love student teaching. I am working with students in severe and profound special education. There have been complications thus far with the treatments in that my body is not taking well to them.

Diagnosis: Stage IIb, DCIS and IDC (08/10/2009)
First in family with breast cancer.

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 16 of 136, messages 151 to 160 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll