Introduce Yourself

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 16 of 68, messages 301 to 320 of 1351
Shell2258
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, July 17, 2010 11:08 AM
Hello,
My name is Shelly and I am new to the board. I do not have breast cancer, nor have I had it, but my Mother passed away when I was 20 from it. My Grandmother is also fighting this horrible disease. Recently I have gone through the genetic testing. My BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 have both came back negative, but with my family history and watching my Mother go through chemo, radiation and anything else imaginable I have chosen to have a total mastectomy with reconstruction. Speaking with a couple different surgeons and listening to them tell me that my chances are still well above avarage and that I would have to have an MRI and ultrasound yearly was enough for me, not to mention that my very first mamogram was too dense to find anything. That doctors first words were, "it's going to be like finding a snowball in a snow storm."
So on July 12 I had a total mastectomy with expanders put into place.

cam63
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, July 17, 2010 4:56 PM
Hello Everyone, this is my first post. I just joined this forum and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Christine.
Diagnosed with ILC 8/17/2009 Stage 2
Double Mastectomy 10/2009
Chemo and Radiation
On Wednesday I will be having my second reconstruction surgery! Cant wait for these tissue expanders to come out!!! I am having silicone implants I hope they are soft.
The beginning is the hardest part. When I was first diagnosed there are so many test you are sent for and one of my test they found a lesion on my right femur. The doctors thought I was stage 4 at this time and for those few weeks when I didn't know was the scariest time. After having them remove 4 pieces of the bone it turned out to be nothing and I was able to proceed with the mastectomy and treatment. I was blessed my oldest son was with me when they gave me the news he held my hand. Both my sons have been amazing it was very difficult for them because their father also had cancer he lost the battle 2 months ago. Its amazing how strong we can be hang in there. Sending lots of prayers your way and too everyone else effective by breast cancer.

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:23 PM
Hi Christine,

I can only imagine the stress you went through in those first initial months and especially having lost your husband too.
I'm so sorry, but so glad to know your son's have been so supportive and helped you through this.

Please check out the recon/surgery forum also for many tips on the surgery you face, I'm sure you'll make many friends here and know you'll gain lots of support:) xx
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

juls823
  • Reward points : 400
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:34 PM
Hi my name is Julie, I was diagnosed with breast cancer May 19, 2010.  I am 38 and have 3  girls11-9-7.  I have stage 3, er/pr+, with 4 positive lymph nodes on the right only. I had a bilateral mastectomy on June 14, with tissue expanders put in immediately.  My margins were not clean, which scares me even more.  I started chemo TAC on July 12, was sick the 3rd-5th day after, starting to feel better now.  I am very scared that all of this treatment will not work and I will not see my children grow up.  Although I am trying to be positive, and have a VERY supportive husband.  I am really trying to be hopeful although some days are hard.

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:04 PM
Hi Juls823,

Your feelings are normal and we were all where you are now once and still worry of course!

I had three nodes positive and am five years out now, we have a few long term survivors here, one of which had twenty two nodes positive and is doing great twenty three years out!!!!:)

It's a scary time in the early weeks while waiting, once you know what you're dealing with from the path report you'll gain more confidence and be ready to fight this.

I'm, sure we can help support you through this, if you need chemo there are many ladies just starting as you are on the chemo forum so jump in and say hello.   Please keep us posted and I know you'll make many friends here as I have:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

Skkydiamond
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, July 25, 2010 4:22 PM
Hi, my name is Heather, I am going to have my 33rd birthday in about 5 weeks.  I got a call from the doctor on Friday, telling me that the lump, which drained and collasped, was cancer.  I have a wonderful husnband and family, but no friends to talk to.  I go on Monday to get more details on the tests and find out something more.  I'm sire more tests and sirgery at least.  I found the lumo about 3 weeks ago, and have had a vaccum assisted biopsy, a mammogram and an ultrasouind.  the doctor said something about an MRI.  I am scared that its worse than imagine, but I'm hopeful I can be treated and continue with my life.  There is no history of breast cancer in my family.  I could really use some freinds who understand.

Heather

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:52 PM
Hi Heather,

You'll make lots of friends here as I have:)

I'm so sorry for dx, but whether you face surgery. chemo, rads or hormone therapy there are ladies here on the different   forums going though the same thst will advise you:)

This is the hardest part, waiting for the full picture but it will get easier so hang in there and lean on us whenever you need to:) x
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:54 PM>
Carepage- survivortricia

elysemo
  • Reward points : 605
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, August 02, 2010 7:42 PM
Hi I must say I agree with Susan S. this is not the best club to be part of, but here I am.  A little about me, I found a lump in my breast in June through self-examination, called my doctor, went for a mammogram, the a biopsy and then soon learned that I had a cancerous lump.  Went for a lumpectomy, they removed the lump plus removed 11 lymph nodes,  2 were positive.  I then learned I am HER-2 positive which it appears needs a more aggressive treatment.  I then went to a local oncologist and was told what the treatment plan would be but then I went for a 2nd opinion to a major city hospital in Chicago.  I was given a different plan plus told I qualified for a clinical trial.  I will be in treatment for about 1 year.  I am in stage 2B which is still early.  At this time I have not decided whether to do the trial or go to the local doctor.  This has been quite stressful as all of you can relate I am sure.  I know I will start treatment in 1-2 weeks and I am very scared and nervous about this.  I recently lost my best friend and sister in law to this as well, my friend in December 2009 and my sister in law 2 years ago which does not make it any easier. I work full time and I hope to keep on working at my job through this ordeal but my job is very stressful and demanding.  Thankfully I work with some excellent and supportive people which helps me.  Plus I have a great family and friends.  I would love to find some other women in my area to form a support group.  

annette53160
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 8995
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, August 03, 2010 7:29 AM
Elyse and Heather, Welcome to Komen.  I am truly sorry that you both have this illness.  However, I can tell you that the treatments are quite manageable and things will eventually get back to normal.  Please keep us posted and good luck to both of you.  My best suggestions are to take care of yourselves and to take a friend or loved one to every appointment.  So much info given in the first few weeks and it can be overwhelming.  Love to both of you.  xxoo Annette
IDC October 2009
Lumpectomy x2 to get clear margins
Stage 2a Grade 3
1/11 nodes positive 
er+
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol
Radiation
Femara

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, August 03, 2010 12:56 PM
Hi Elysemo,

I also am her2+ with three nodes positive, I did six months of chemo/rads and a year of herceptin and currently take arimdiex daily.  Most Dr's agree herceptin has changed the whole prognosis of her2+ cancer, I'm five years out now.

Is the clinical trial herceptin with Latipinib (tykerb?)   I can imagine it's a tough decision to go with, but if you check out www.her2support.org you'll get a lot more info on both of these drugs and possibly meet other's participating.

I'm very sorry you've lost so many to this disease, but a lot has moved on in the cancer world and more and more people are surviving!! xx
Carepage- survivortricia

angelwoman1
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 595
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:35 PM
My name is Pam/aka Angelwoman1,
I was diagnosed on 5/12/10.  I have had 4 treatments of AC and now have to have 4 treatments of Taxol. Want to meet people going thru the same and would like to talk to people who have been thru this.

Diagnosed: May 12, 2010
Diagnosis: Diagnosis: 5/12/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage II,  ER+/PR+, HER2-

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, August 03, 2010 3:24 PM
Hi Pam,

I had a/c, but had the taxol at a lower weekly dosage along with herceptin, most people agree the taxol is far easier to tolerate than a/c.
My hair also grew back on taxol, it can have it's own side effects but none I felt were as tough as the a/c.    I also did'nt need anti nausea meds or neulasta.   I hope you do well on it, if you go check out the chemo forum there are lots of ladies going through this right now as you are, on the summer chemo thread.
Just pop in and say hi, all are welcome and it makes it all a little easier when shared:)
Carepage- survivortricia

angelwoman1
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 595
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, August 05, 2010 7:14 AM
Thank you trisha, I go today for my first Taxol. embarassed to say a little scared. you made me feel so much better. The AC by the time I got the 4th it hit me. the onc office told me these will be easier. But it is always good to hear from other people who have been through it. thank you again and nice to meet you!  pam

Tricia Keegan
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, August 05, 2010 9:39 AM
Pam,

You may have left already, but wanted to say be prepared for the first taxol to take longer than usual.   They give it very slowly to avoid the chance of an allergic reaction, any future ones  should be faster though.

Good luck and I notice you had joined the chemo ladies so will be sure to pop in and see how it went:)
Carepage- survivortricia

Princess of Hope
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, August 15, 2010 5:41 PM
Hi my name is Melonee and I host a Benifit Pageant called the Miss Princess Of Hope. We are trying to raise money in diffrent ways, such as the pageant and little fundraisers.  We walk in 2 to 3 walks a year. I have queens aging from 0-78. My Elegant Mrs. happens to be abreast cancer survivor, I am honored to have her, everytime she walked on the stage she got a standing opaton. i loved it. I have 2 very dear titles that i call Ambassador of Hope. These 2 ladies had to write an essay about breast cancer and what they could do in there year to help promote awareness. I love both girls that won this, One is a child who is 10 and the other is 38. These two ladied worked very hard for this title. We are actually going to be donating money in October at the Galveston, Tx D'Feet Breast Cancer walk. we are all so excited. My girls walk in class,(in there crowns and sashes, and we do it all in Bling)!! I hope to become good friends with everyone and hope all has a blessed day.

Mom813
  • Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points : 2075
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:42 PM
Hi Everyone,  Just diagnosed on my 50th birthday, Friday 13th.  I don't know where to begin.  Lost my mom to pancreatic ca. just a few months ago and now this.  I'm scared and don't know where to turn.  The waiting is driving me crazy. Two weeks for Dr. appt., 1 week for biopsy, 1 week for MRI then we decide the plan,  In the meantime I feel like a ticking timebomb with every passing day. Going to work is overwhelming and I just cry all the time.  Is this the new normal?

Ann B.
  • Total Posts : 2920
  • Reward points : 5060
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:47 PM
Hi Mom--I, too, was diagnosed, the first time, around my 50th birthday and that was 20 years ago.  And, yes. what you are feeling is normal.  The one thing we all share is waiting and having the waiting cause great stress and anxiety.  When you know exactly what you are dealing with and have a treatment plan, you will feel much better.  Just remember that this cancer has been in your body several years before it was discovered and you will not be hurt by waiting a few weeks.  Good luck and please come back and let us know how things are going.

Ann B.
Ann B.
12/89--Lumptectomy of left breast for 2 sites of DCIS followed by radiation and 5 years of tamoxifen. ER/PR +
12/2002--Mastectomy of Left breast for recurrence. Nodes negative. ER/PR+ Her2-. Arimidex.

sharonma
  • Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:18 AM
Hi Mom,
I'm sorry for the loss of your Mom, and now having to deal with this so soon.
Those few weeks between diagnosis and knowing the treatment plan is so stressful.  It's all consuming and hard to redirect your thoughts to anything else, when you are  thinking about the cancer.  It will get better.
Do you have any specifics about your diagnosis yet? 
Come over to the "waiting room" on the sound off forum and we will hold your hand and wait with you.
Sharon
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  

spectech
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:20 PM
I was recently diagnosed on 8/3 with DCIS high grade comedocarcinoma of the right breast. age 48,  after initally diagnosis 10 months ago of ADH. Two lumpectomies were benign following complication with clip and wire migration on stereotactic biopsy. Follow up MRI found DCIS is same area, srongly positive for estrogen/progesteron receptors. BRCA negative. Mom only one with breast cancer in 1988 at age 66. Significant scarring, deformity and pain from lumpectomies. Left breast also with issues, nothing definitive or suspicious. I have chosen a mastectomy, my gyn wants to also do a laparoscopic hysterectomy with removal of the ovaries.  I  am too over weight to go on Tamoxifen. So confused right now....especially having my ovaries removed as I already suffer from night sweats and insomnia....not so much hot flashes, and there is nothing really to prevent my surgically induced menopause after I have it done. Scared and confused in Florida.

spectech
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:34 PM
oops..."surgically induced menopausal SYMPTOMS"

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > | Showing page 16 of 68, messages 301 to 320 of 1351