Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 25 of 136, messages 241 to 250 of 1351
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:diagnosis: Invasive Ductal - update - Friday, April 30, 2010 5:05 PM
Karen,

I saw this report too on another cancer site and posted it on the advanced forum here....how amazing is that and so encouraging to anyone stage iv:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Ann B.

• Total Posts : 2920
  • Reward points : 5060
Re:diagnosis: Invasive Ductal - update - Saturday, May 01, 2010 11:26 PM
Hi Karen--I, too, saw the NYT article and it is amazing and gives great hope.
                                                              Ann B.
Ann B.
12/89--Lumptectomy of left breast for 2 sites of DCIS followed by radiation and 5 years of tamoxifen. ER/PR +
12/2002--Mastectomy of Left breast for recurrence. Nodes negative. ER/PR+ Her2-. Arimidex.
DeLois

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 1735
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, May 03, 2010 6:23 PM
Hi,
My name is DeLois.

I found this site after learning that my breast cancer was triple negative and after going through all the treatments.

At my last visit the Oncologist said something that puzzled me. I ask whether this had been an aggressive cancer and he said yes, TNBC is aggressive. I knew then I needed more answers than I was getting and not the sugar coated kind from the Dr. office. So I found you all !!

I had a single lump which I found 3 weeks before my Mamm. The usual mamm. done and then Rad. wanted more pictures. He then came in and told me he was going to have my Dr. call and schedule a biopsy. Dr. called the next day and the next week a biopsy done. A week later my husband gets a call and she tells him I have a "normal cancer". He picks me up from work and tells me. I looked at him and said "there is nothing normal about having cancer". He agreed and told me he had already called another Dr. and scheduled a 2nd. opinion.

So at the 2nd. Dr. she checked the lump, got me straight into a Rad. and had another mamm. and ultrasound and then straight over for a biopsy and then straight over to the Oncologist. A 6hr. day full of appointments under one roof and treatment scheduled for the following Monday.

Chemo. AC , T. surgery, 33 days of radiation in 2008-2009. 6 month Check up in 2010 all clear so far.

I'm the mom of 2 grown daughters, 5 grandchildren ( 2 from oldest daughter and 3 inherited when youngest daughter got married & gained a ready made family)

1 husband," the jewel of the nile", he's retired and cooks, cleans, does laundry and keeps the neighbors yards and homes in repair also. Did I say he's retired...ha.

Down to 1 dog, a Hungarian Puli ( he looks like a black walking mop)

I like cooking when my husband will let me in the kitchen, crafts, taking pictures of my grandchildren (Their all at the prom age and 1 in college and 1 soon to be), walking the dog   
 but I hate exercise.

I work in retail and am on my feet 8 hrs. so exercise and I have not met yet.  I know we must.........

I guess that is enough about me. Having learned that TNBC is aggressive is scary but I'll fight it if I must. Like my husband says you have 2 choices and I've got somethings I want to experience in life so the 1st choice is the one I chose LIFE.

It is good to hear from others that work is being done for TNBC.

Our Relay is June 12, I am anxious. Last year was my 1st time to participate. It was 1 day after my last radiation treatment and the 1st time I did not wear my wig. All my co-workers praise what a good head shape I had and told me to stop wearing the wigs to work. Their support was/is such a blessing.

DeLois

Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, May 03, 2010 7:21 PM
Hi DeLois. It's a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for telling us so much about you--not just your cancer. I just love those Hungarian "mop" dogs! My parents were born in Hungary, and I look like a mop when I get up in the morning, so your dog and I have something in common! 

I was diagnosed in 1986, before HER2 was discovered. But my tumor was ER/PR-negative, I was 37 years old, and about 18 years later, I tested positive for the BRCA2 mutation. Knowing all of that, my oncologist feels certain that my tumor was triple negative. I had 22 positive lymph nodes, and here I am 23 years later, alive and well. We hear so much about triple negative being so bad, but I think that one reason for that is that we don't have a drug to take after chemo. Those with hormone-positive cancers have Tamoxifen and other drugs to suppress estrogen production, but once our treatments are over, that's all there is. However, research has shown that triple negative cancers respond especially well to chemo. The first 5 years are the most critical. After that, our risk for recurrence falls much more dramatically than that of women with hormone-positive cancer. So, it's not all bad news for us. 

It sounds as though you have a wonderful family (your husband is indeed a gem!) and a strong support system. You'll run into other "triple negatives" here, and you'll find that all the women here, no matter what their diagnosis, are caring and helpful.

Wishing you all the best,

Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
mrssoppo

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:44 PM
Hi.. My mom was just diagnosed with breast cancer in March and it threw our world into a tailspin...She has already had her lumpectomy..  Her nodes were negative and her margins were negative.  She has Stage IIa, triple neg.. I am new at this terminology, so please forgive me for any unintentional ignorance :)  Her Tumor was 2.3 cm and grade 3.  She is, needless to say, frightened.  I have accompanied her to every dr visit and test (including the excruciating dye injections prior to her surgery for the sentinel node biopsy)..  She was given 2 options for chemo regimen.. One regimen is longer and more aggressive (3 drugs) the other regimen is smaller (2 drugs).She is a very stubborn woman and is more afraid of chemo than anything..  So she decided upon the smaller regimen. She will also be receiving radiation after chemo. And pills after radiation.  I am so thankful for the wonderful supportive doctors and staff at our hospital.  I am also thankful to have found this forum to correspond with other people touched directly and indirectly by this terrible disease.  I welcome any and all comments, suggestions, ANYTHING to know I am NOT alone....  To all warriors, I am in awe of you...

-Wendi
Cindy9919

• Total Posts : 108
  • Reward points : 6575
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 6:46 AM
Hi Wendi,

I just had my first chemo 4/26 next one 5/12 was scared to death, but I made it.  I did have one bad day, due to my own fault, thought I could eat anything and got myself constipated, now I have learned to eat in moderation and make sure I get something from all food catagories.  The first week I was just tired and had a constant dull headache, tylenol helped but doc would of gave me something stronger, this week I am doing much better, anit nausea meds help,  Your mom can do it.  I hope this mess helps.
I also see a nurse for helping me get good rest.

Keep in touch, 
Diagnosed Feb 22, 2010 Invasive Duct Carc
ER+ PR+ Her2-
Stage 1B-2 - lymph node positive (1/20) 
a/c - 4 treatments done....neulasta after 
taxol 12 weeks (once a week) done 8/30 
radiation to follow and hormone 5 yrs
Milwaukee wi -54
DebraD

• Total Posts : 3
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, May 06, 2010 11:59 AM
Hi,
My name is Debra.  I had a single mascetomy with tissue expander on January 4th.  I had 4 ac treatments and tomorrow will be my 5th Taxol weekly treatment.  I have 8 more to go.
I have had a few enhancements and am now up to 425 cc's.  I think I need to go to 700ish. 
This morning I had a scare.  My nose was bleeding really bad.  Never had a nose bleed before.  Call doctor at 6:30 am and was told to lay down and wait for it to clot.  Thank goodness after a while it did.  Over the past few weeks, i noticed that when I blow my nose that little blood clots are on tissue but that is only first thing in the morning.  This was really scary but I feel fine.  I took the day off from work because I didnt know what was happening.  I talked to the nurse at the doctors office and she said that it is normal to have clear fluid run because i probably dont have nose hairs but the blood is unusual but she wasnt very worried.
Cant wait for all this to be over.  Seems like 2010 will be a crappy year.  Oh well - chuck it up to the terrible 50.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, May 06, 2010 5:29 PM
Hi Debra,

Many of us here had the nose bleed or just spots of blood and it's fairly common on Taxol, I'm sorry it scared you.
I had it on and off through the whole twelve weeks but once the chemo was over it cleared up.
I know it seems like it lasts forever, but it's amazing looking back to me, how fast it all went by.  Just remind yourself each treatment is one nearer that finishing line:)

You may like to check out the recon/surgery forum for tips or advice on the recon!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
lilstitch

• Total Posts : 10
Re:diagnosis: Invasive Ductal - surgery set - Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:33 PM
I will be having the Lumpectomy on Tuesday 5/11 along with an implant to do MammoSite Radiation. Please keep me in your prayers as I hope the Radiation Oncologist approves this treatment. My BS thinks this is the way to go.
Lillian
Central NJ
Invasive Ductal diag 3/25/10
NanaKerry

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, May 07, 2010 7:39 AM
Hello....My name is Kerry Wells and I have just lost my daughter to the disease we are all fighting.....breast cancer.  She had the triple negative and fought the hard fight for 2 years.  She was misdiagnosed at the beginning and if I can impress one thing upon all women, it is:  If the radiologist tells you "it is only cysts", please do an immediate biopsy or ultrasound.  This is what happened to my precious 38 year old Amy.....I am working hard to spread the word about this.  I have already run into several women who were told "it's only cysts" or "if it hurts, it isn't cancer"......If I can save one woman by spreading this information, Amy will be proud of me......She was the most fantastic daughter....Even though she had to go through every treatment for the cancer, she continued to uplift others and always gave praise to God, no matter how she was feeling.  The profile photo is of my daughter in Arkansas where they have the pink ribbon fire truck....
<message edited by NanaKerry on Friday, May 07, 2010 7:53 AM>
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 25 of 136, messages 241 to 250 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll