Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 29 of 136, messages 281 to 290 of 1351
Tina29xx

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:33 PM
Hello My name is Tina Im 37 years old and have been dealing with breast cancer since 2006 this past jan I had a total mastocmy and in april I had my reconstruction done.......
I am thankful its done now and I don't have to go back until august but I have noticed alot of changes in my feelings towards people and life in general////////At times I cry alot and want to be alone and watching the hurt my 2 daughters went threw while we were going threw it all tears me up and now one is acting out making me feel even worse then I already do......I can't believe how much changes when you go threw it all.......Any advise out there on how I'm feeling?????and is this normal??
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:59 PM
Hi Tina. Yes, your feelings are completely normal. Goodness, think about what you've been through. Anger, fear, sadness--these are emotions we all feel in this situation. I encourage you to seek some counseling to help you find ways to express the feelings and deal with them. My first three years were the hardest, and counseling helped me tremendously. Most oncologists' offices will have resources to help you find a good therapist. You don't say how old your daughters are, but if they're old enough, family counseling could be a good idea, too. Sometimes just having a trained counselor present can help parents and children find a better way to communicate about all the feelings that have come up.  I'm sending a hug and all my best wishes. It gets easier with time, but I think it's important to get help early on. By the way, I was diagnosed at 37 also, and I'm now going on 61. I was very afraid and angry at first, but here I am all these years later, cancer-free and living life. Be kind to yourself and just know that this will pass. All my best, Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
PDoodles

• Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 245
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, June 27, 2010 11:12 PM
   Hello Everybody~~~My name is Dawn and my world was turned upside down 2 weeks ago when my mother(80) was diagnosed with breast cancer.We are in the very early stages of this so called adventure.There are numerous questions that I have and this site seems to be one of the best places to be.One of the 1st questions I have is that among some of the health issues that my Mom has is that she has a problem with her kidneys.The other day when they went to do one of the scans to find out if whether or not the cancer has spread beyond her right breast and the lymph nodes in the underarm on the right side,the tech had said that he couldn't do the one scan because the radiation might harm the kidneys~~does anybody on here know anything about this??????Is there any other options that we may have if this is the case????We are prepared to do anything and everything to fight this dreadful monster....As you can tell we are very,very early in all of this and I'm trying to read as much as I can in a short amount of time and finding out all sorts of info.Any help that anybody could give would be much appreciated.Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, June 28, 2010 10:18 AM
Hi PDoodles. I'm sorry about your mom's diagnosis. I don't really know about the scans--which ones expose us to more or less radiation. I know that an ultrasound can be done safely, and I've had an ultrasound of my liver. I think you'll need to talk to her doctor to find out what can be done to rule out any spread of the cancer if the usual scan can't be done. Have you been able to go to her appts. with her? It's hard for the patient to take everything in because so much info gets thrown at us so quickly. If you can be there as a second set of ears and to ask questions that she may not think to ask, that will help a lot. My best to you both. Rena
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
Tina29xx

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, June 28, 2010 3:19 PM
Rena My daughters are 15 and 14 I have also called my oncologist and asked him to set me up and appt to talk to someone.........Since 2006 I had my first lumpsectomy then in 2007 I had another and in 2009 it came back again and did another lumpsectomy then dec 09 i was tested and they told me I am postive in the BRCA1 and I also had another lump come back and thats when we decide to hit it head on and went with the total mastomy........Its been hard and the mood swings are crazy at times.........Hopefully I'll end up like you and a 23 year survior............
PDoodles

Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, June 28, 2010 4:37 PM
  Hello Rena~~~~~I just wanted to thank you so much for the great advice.I found it to be very helpful.We've only met with the surgeon once(we are still waiting to hear the results of the scans that were done,once the results get back,we are suppose to hear back from the surgeon).We have yet to meet with the oncologist.Should we be making an appointment with the oncologist now and see what he/she says or wait till we know what the surgeon has to say and wants to do?????Like I said in my opening post last night,this is all very new to us and we aren't sure of a number of things.I will indeed be going to every Dr.'s appointment with my Mom to be a second set of ears.You have given me a great sense of hope with knowing that you are a 23 year survivor.Thank you...............
PDoodles

Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, June 28, 2010 11:43 PM
 Hello Everyone~~~~My name is Dawn(I see that we have another Dawn on here as well).Just about 2 weeks ago,the world around me was turned completely upside down.My mom(age 80)was diagnosed with breast cancer in her right breast,the cancer has spread to her lymph nodes in her underarm on the right side.We are just beginning the diagnoses stage of the game.We've met with the surgeon once and are awaiting results from the scans to see if the cancer has spread any further then the lymph nodes.There are so many questions that I have and I'm finding this site very,very helpful.The one thing that I have learned from this site,is that I will be going to every Dr.appointment with my Mom so that I can be a set of "second ears",to make sure that we get every ounce of information and instructions that the Dr. gives us.The 1 question I have is that should we be making an appointment with a oncologist now or wait until we see the surgeon again(which should be sometime in the next few days when we get the scan results back)and see what he wants to do?The Dr. did mention the following~~~surgery first and then radiation or just go straight to the radiation or whatever else kind of therapy Mom will get.Mom has already decided that if she does need surgery,she will go with the mastectomy of the right breast.Ok,I guess this is enough for now.But I know that I will be posting again many times.Take care everybody
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:44 PM
Hi Dawn and welcome,

The usual way it works is that once you have surgery you get a path report and on the basis of that, if needed, you'll be referred to an onc or rad onc!   If caught very early it's possible no more treatment is needed is your Mom is not showing positve for hormones.
If you go to the welcome thread above this, you'll see lots of explanations of reading your path report and what it all means.

You're not alone, there are ladies going through every part of treatment here and many who have finished that can help you:)

Also a good reputable site for understanding this is www.breastcancer.org

Please check the other forums and ask any questions you may have:)

My best to you and your Mom through this. x
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
PDoodles

Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:19 PM
          Hello Tricia~~~~~Thank you so much for your advice.I really do appreciate it so very much.I will be sure to check out the website that you had mentioned.We did get the news today that the results from the scans that my Mom had done last Friday showed that the cancer has not spread beyond the lymph nodes in the right underarm(there was a scare that the cancer may have spreaded beyond the lymph nodes since it had gone beyond the right breast).We feel somewhat relieved now that we know the scan results and know what the next step is(the waiting and not knowing can be so very hard).My Mom will be going in for her mastectomy next week,if given the choice my Mom would have gone in this week to have the surgery,she wants to have it asap,but my Mom takes coumadin and needs to be off of that for at least 5 days before the surgery so that is why we have to wait until next week.I've only been on this site for a short time,but already I feel more at ease when I see how much support everybody gives everybody else.I feel quite confident that whatever questions I may have,somebody on here will be able to answer them.Thanks so much.Take care~~~~~~~
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:57 AM
Hope your Mom has a sucessful surgery and quick recovery Dawn, wonderful news on the clear scan too:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > | Showing page 29 of 136, messages 281 to 290 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll