Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 4 of 136, messages 31 to 40 of 1351
Deb Allen

• Total Posts : 3188
  • Reward points : 3830
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:14 AM
Sandy, you are 45, you are young, and just recently diagnosed less than a week ago.  This is a time to step up, step back, and remember to breathe.  Gather all medical information you can, and ask for copies of tests, and ask questions, and more questions, until you are satisfied with the answers.  Please take a friend with you for a second set of ears, or even a recorder...the next few weeks are going to seem like a walk in a fog with blinders on,,,but you absolutely can get through to the other side.  Please browse the other forums, and don't hesitate to post whatever you feel, think, fear, or are angry about.  Komenville is here for you. 

Deb

Deb/aka Mimi
Dx '03, ER/PR+, Her2+, Grade II, Stage III
SNB, 18 wks chemo  36 rads; 
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing
Still alive and kicking and ornery as ever...butterfly kisses to all

chongs017

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:24 AM
All. Hello, my name is Kealohi and I live in Hawaii.  In November, 2006, I was diagnosed with early stage of breast cancer.  There was no lump (in left breast)  but, my mammogram had some suspect images.  Went to ultra sound and still had suspect images.  Finally diagnosed after biopsy.  Had surgery (lumpectomy) on December 29, 2006.  Lucky for me, there was no cancer in my lymphnodes, especially under my arm. Recovered from surgery in time to celebrate New Year's with my family.  Didn't even have any pain.  Started radiation (6 weeks) in March, ending in April. I hardly had any pain thru radiation except for the last week, kind of raw but the radiologist was the best and made sure that I had enough gauze, wrapped around like a tube top, and salve to heal my burn (just very red).  I didn't peel at all.  The later part of April, I started taking Arimidex.  Good news is that I've been cancer free since first diagnosed in December, 2006.  In four months, I will be cancer free for 3 years.  I've been on Arimidex for 2 years and changed to Aromasin 2 months ago because I developed arthritis in my left wrist, last month, June, 2009, in spite of taking calcium, eating yogurt and drinking lots of milk.  Dr. changed my meds and added Vitamin D to my Calcium, also upped my calcium intake.  Now, I feel tired and nauseous almost every day.  Need to call Oncologist to report this new feelings.  My wrist still hurts so, I've been fitted with a brace, to alleviate the pain.  I am worried that my bones are getting too soft and brittle.  My mother and 2 sisters had/have osteoporosis and I really don't want that.  I need some advice.  I feel like canning the meds and just take the calcium with Vitamin D, fish oil and papaya enzymes (helps digest my food intake so I don't feel so nauseous).  Or, I may ask Dr. if I can take arimidex or Aromasin every other day.  Wish me luck.  I hate feeling tired and nauseous all the time.  Even getting up every morning is a chore and I'm still employed.  I just made 60 this month and feel like I'm much older.  I planned on working until I am 65 to 67 years old.  Our Presidents are as old or older. I used to have lots of energy.  My grand-children are always with me, almost every weekend but, I don't take them anywhere because I'm too tired.  It's a chore just to take care of them, 2 yrs old and 6 yrs old, let alone take them out somewhere.  Help!  My quality of life sucks right now.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:39 AM
Hi,

Theres every chance the hormone therapy whether it be arimidex or aromasin is keeping you cancer free so please don't stop taking it just yet.  Have you had a Dexa (bone density) scan recently?    It's usual to have them once a year or so when you take an A1 and you should also have had one before starting to have a baseline. This will show clearly any bone loss.   There are meds to help you if there is any bone loss, Fosamax or zometa to name two which will not only build up bone strength but protect against mets too.
The stiffness and joint pain can be helped by taking glucosamine/chondroitin daily but it's very important you exercise to maintain bone health, even a short walk daily will help enormously.   My first dexa showed slight bone loss but I increased walking time and the following year my scan showed none at all:)
As to the VITD, this is something you should have been taking all along with the calcium although it can have side effects if you take too much, maybe it's clashing with something else you're taking ???     Either way, first thing is to request a dexa if you haven't had one which will also show whats happening with your wrist but if not maybe have that x rayed.  If you need to get a second opinion but do think twice before stopping until you absolutly have to.    If you go to the hormone therapy forum you'll see more info and also at www.arimidex.com
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
da808

• Total Posts : 193
  • Reward points : 1555
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:15 AM
Hi Kealohi.  I live in Hawaii, too.  What island are you on?  Have you had a complete physical recently?  Your fatigue could be caused by something else.  PM me if you want to walaau, and I'll give you my phone number.  Congrats for being NED since '06!
Debra
Hawaii
5/26/09 DX RB DCIS
6/3/09 DX RB Multi-Focal DCIS & IDC ER90%/ PR15%  
6/10/09 BRCA1 & 2 negative
6/12/09 RB Mastectomy SNB 5 nodes clean margins 
6/22/09 SNB+ w/ Extra Capsular Invasion DX Chemo, Rads
6/29/09 Axillary Node Dissection 18 nodes 
7/7/09 Results AND neg, stage IIa, T1c, pN1a
7/20/09 HER2- 
8/6/09 T/C 4 X completed 10/8/09
Rads completed 12/31/09
Recon Postpo
nmb

• Total Posts : 663
  • Reward points : 3505
Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, August 03, 2009 2:58 PM
Hello.

My name is Nancy (from Turner, Maine).  Just getting my feet wet with all of this since I was diagnosed just over 2 weeks ago.   Initially got the bad news with some good news, Breast Center suspected cancer but only with 2 cm tumor (ultra sound) thought it was stage 1 and although mastectomy due to tumor location (behind nipple) we were hoping for just the mastectomy.

Mamo was worse - shows 6cm by 4cm.  So stage is upped to at least 2.  My MRI is tomorrow and I do not see the oncologist until 8/11.  Very tired of waiting... plus so very scared.  I did see the plastic surgeon last week.

Biopsy did show a very low level of cancer in the cells (only 1 step beyond normal I think? )  Although pre-menopausal (age 47) I am PR and ER positive.  HER-2 negative. 

So, here we are... wait and see till 8/11.  Breast Center told me to assume they will insert a chemo port on 8/11.

Although an information junkie, have decided to wait till after oncologist visit to read all of the posts on this site.  Relying on Dr. Susan Love’s book plus googling specific information as I get it.   Am glad I found it though.

N

Deb Allen

Re:Introduce Yourself - Monday, August 03, 2009 7:33 PM
Nancy, welcome to the best place on earth or cyberspace you can be right now...Komenville.  No one wants to join, but once you receive your diagnosis, this is the best caring and sharing and information site you will ever find. 

I understand your desire to not get any more information until you have all of your information and test results in, in order to better make your decisions. 

Just know that we are here, and you are welcome, and will be prayed for during your MRI tomorrow, and everything you undergo from here on out...whether you are comfortable sharing or not.

Hugs, and welcome,
Deb
Deb/aka Mimi
Rec in 07,
Bi-mast/DIEP 08/29/07; MRSA in abd incision w/resulting hernia, difficult healing

nmb

Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, August 06, 2009 11:56 AM
Surgeon's office just called.  MRI results = max tumor size 3.0 x 2.2 cm.  Craniocaudally (whatever that means) 2.3 x 2.2.  They told me not to worry about the next part, but I am still worried - now they want to do ultrasound on OTHER breast to check intramammory lymph node. 

Next Tues/Wed (more appointments include onco) cannot come sooner... or maybe it can...  gosh this is hard.
JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, August 06, 2009 12:42 PM
Nancy,
Welcome! I promise this is the hardest part....once you get all of the answers and a plan in place it gets easier.  It is always the waiting that is the worst.......our brain goes places it doesn't need to go but hard to stop it.  Sounds as if your tumor is slow growing, and er/pr positive is a good thing as well so do take a deep breath and try and enjoy the weekend.  Do something you love and will distract you. 
Sending you hugs.  We are here anytime for ranting, venting or support.
Hope and strength,
Julie S :-)
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-
nmb

Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:41 PM
Thanks so much Julie and Deb.  It's so nice to have a safe place to come sputter - I could not figure out the darn intramammary lymph node because office did not explain it to me (or I was not listening)  I am learning to take more ownership and ask for test results plus google every term...  Glad I asked for copy of MRI

What do you think?  Except for the size (which I blame myself for) does not sound too bad, right???  I know, still need the masectomy and probably chemo but... I thought I was dealing with a 6cm tumor - NOT :)

Email I sent to family:

MRI results today.  This is good news.

Tumor size max is 3 cm x 2.2 cm.  NOT the 6 cm x 4cm mamo showed.  The mamo was reflecting the mass from biopsies plus a 1.2 x .6 cm simple cyst.  So, not back the the beginning diagnosis of Stage 1 (size does keep it Stage 2) but a lot better....

No suspicious adenopathy - meaning lymph nodes or otherwise swollen nodes. Multiple lymph nodes are seen but near the biopsy and appear to be reactive (lymph nodes help with the healing.)   Final lymph node information will be till surgery - they biopsy the sentinel node during surgery.

I am going for an ultrasound Tuesday for my left (other) breast - purely because of diagnosis.  Multiple simple cysts (no big deal) but also a 9 x 4 mm structure showing enhancement.  They are assuming it is the intramammary lymph node (a benign process) since it has a vessel leading directly to it. 

So for you medical folks, here's what I have (might be repeating)

Extensive Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma involving 90% of each core
Mild to moderate cellular atypia and mitoses are rare
ER/PR Positive
MER-2 Negative (which I think means no herceptin, think the person in the office got this confused)
E-caderhin stain is positive (CDH1)

Tubule Formation score 2 (10 - 75%)
Nuclear Pleomorphism score 2 (increase in size)
Mitotic Count score 1
So total Nottingham Score is Grade 1 (from the 5 scores above)

Ultrasound Tuesday 1:30 pm.  Oncologist Tuesday, 2:15 pm.  Surgeon Wednesday 4:00 pm. 
Deb Allen

Re:Introduce Yourself - Thursday, August 06, 2009 5:26 PM
Nancy, from what I can tell, you are in a pretty good place with your treatment team, and so far the results are NOT that bad.  No cancer is good, but some are worse than others, and Stage II is completely doable!!

The term you used about craniocaudal spiked my curiosity and I found this link that semi-sorta explains what it is (my interpretation, is the direction of the beam shooting the pictures, a different angle).  Of course I am no doctor, but thanks to you, I learned something new.  Now if I can just remember it!!!! 

Julie is right, once you have a plan of attack, and you settle into your course of treatment, you slowly regain a sense of control over what has happened to you, that you had no control over.  None of this is your fault.  It is cancer. 

Please keep us posted, and I hope you are checking out the other forums and posts.  This a great place, filled with amazing people.
Just like you.

Deb
Deb/aka Mimi
Rec in 07,

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 4 of 136, messages 31 to 40 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll