Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Introduce Yourself
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 9 of 136, messages 81 to 90 of 1351
JulieS

• Total Posts : 4392
  • Reward points : 5475
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, October 30, 2009 7:22 PM
Hi and Welcome!!! Here are some links to different forums.  This can be confusing when you have never been on a board before.  You can respond to threads by clicking on the "reply" button and it will open a window for you, or if you just go to the bottom of the page there is a spot for "quick reply."  At the top of the page there is a place to click on "all forums" that will take you to a main page then you can click on each forum.  The first link I put in is to a sunberz 2 thread that our stage IV ladies have a loooong thread going.  They share parts of their lives, treatments and ect.
It is not a downer at all, I read it because these women give me so much hope and strength.   The second link is for the sound off forum, which is the most active and it is just what it says......we sound off, ask questions,  give advice, share our thoughts, give support....what ever! :-)

http://apps.komen.org/Forums/tt.aspx?forumid=60

http://apps.komen.org/Forums/tt.aspx?forumid=48

Hope this helps you to get going!!!!  Join in anytime, anywhere!
Hope and strength,
Julie S :-)
Bothell, WA
dx 5/07 IDC
lumpectomy 6/14/07 1.5cm
er/pr + Nodes negative
finished rads 9/13
Tamoxfen 9/07- 8/09
Arimidex 8/09-
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Friday, October 30, 2009 8:00 PM
Kimo, Before you do anything click on the form above this which is the welcome forum. This is posted by komen and has many tips and advice for getting around the boards as well as tips on the abbreviations under everyone's name and reading your path report.
It sounds complicated but really is'nt and well worth the effort for the support you'll receive here:)

P.S...Here's the link- http://apps.komen.org/forums/tt.aspx?forumi
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Friday, October 30, 2009 8:02 PM>
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Kimo

• Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:36 PM
Thank you guys for some help with this. I had my 21 year old daughter come show me some basics, but I still get lost. I made an attempt at a signature, but you all seem to know abreviations I'm unfamiliar with. I saw my doctor yesterday, and he took blood to look at tumor markers. Since I've been on Taxol, Carboplaten and Iexempra, and the pain is getting worse, he told me he is not optimistic. I'll know by Tuesday what the numbers are. He says I just may be done with all the Taxene drugs, which is a bummer because he'd told me if I could stay off them for a year, they might be effective again. I know if this fails the next drugs have worse side effects, but, hey what is the alternative. My 5 year old grandson gave me a wonderful picture of me, with lots of hearts, and the words, "Dear grama, you are the greatest grama in the whole world.I am sorry you are sick love cameron" A real struggle for him, I'm told. he gave it to me and said. "this is for, you know, (whisper) your hair problem" So hard not to laugh!

I'll go look at the Sound off section you all mentioned. Thank you.
From extreme NW corner of US in Wash. State
56 yr Grandmother and mother died of BC - no BRCA gene
4 kids 21-30, 2 boys 2 girls - 6 grandkids 
2002 b/c, 8 mo chemo & rad, femara till 1/2008 
"You should now be free of cancer"
3/2008 "sciatica" became
metastisized bone cancer
Radiation, Xeloda (bad se)
Zometa monthly
3/2009 12 wks taxol, carboplaten, avastin
 Avastin 6/09-9/09
9/2009 iexempra w/ avastin
11/2009-12/2009 doxil &
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Introduce Yourself - Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:25 PM
Kimo,

I replied to you on the advanced forum and hope you see it.
The taxanes are good but still carry their own side effects but there are lots more to choose from so hopefully you'll find a mix that works.
If you want to post your signature you'll find the explanations of abbreviations on the link above that I posted.
Looking forward to chatting with you more on the advanced forum and the sunbearz thread!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
everydaysagift

• Total Posts : 192
  • Reward points : 1625
Re:Introduce Yourself - Sunday, November 01, 2009 11:26 PM
Hi Kimo,

Thinking of you and wishing you well.  You're in the prayers of many.  Take care, Diane
SandieR

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, November 03, 2009 3:03 PM
Hello everyone out there!

I am looking for a long time survivor group for discussions.  I am a 20 year survivor.  My cancer was diagnosed when I was just 41.  Now that I have retired I am reviewing my journals that I kept during my ordeal.  I am having health issues that I would like to know if they are "normal" for my age or could they possibly be related to the chemotherapy and radiation I underwent. I would also like to know if there is a support group of "older survivors" like myself that meets in my area of Northeast Florida.
Thank you everyone!   "It's another beautiful day in paradise!"
Sandie R.
maofnick

• Total Posts : 5
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, November 03, 2009 6:44 PM
Hi,
    My name is Chris. My mom Nancy, who has alzeheimers disease, was recently diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. By the time we got the official diagnosis, it traveled too her lungs. Her thoracic surgeon told us last tuesday that she will not survive surgery. So her doctors decided not too remove any of her cancer. They told us too make her as comfortable as possible, and too let her enjoy the quality of the life she has left. I know that there are non invasive procedures that can be done such as laser surgery, but we won't know for a few more weeks weither she is eligible because of her age and condition.
     I have been my mothers caregiver for almost 2 years now because of the alzeheimers disease. I asked her primary care doctor why my mother kept getting sick too please examine her. From may until october my mom was sick with white cell infections in her blood, and we got no explaination from her doc. at all. It wasn't until I had her rushed too the hospital for food poisioning, that the tech who did that cat scan on her stomach, accidentally went up too far, and discovered the lumps on her left breast.
     I am not placing blame on anybody, because the cancer would have come weither it was discovered earlier or not. I am mad at her doctor however for not listening too my concerns. Maybe the ougtcome wouldn't be so grim if she had. 
       If anyone out there has any adivce or words of wisdom, I could sure use it right now. Because I really feel like I let her down, and I want too know what I can do too help her.

Thanks for letting me blab on

Chris  

RP66

• Total Posts : 1701
  • Reward points : 1580
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, November 03, 2009 9:13 PM
Wow Chris, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom's diagnosis.  It must be so hard not to be angry with the dr who ignored your worries.  Please don't feel like you let her down.  She is lucky to have you.
I am glad you found this message board and hope you find comfort coming here.  There is a great group of ladies on here that might have some comforting words for you.
Rene'~OH
dx 10/06 @ 40 yrs old
stage IIIa/grade3, 7/10nodes+
er/pr+,her2+
a/c/t&herceptin
rbrst mast/hyst 3/07
33rads 6/07 Tried the AI's for 18 months & switched to Tamoxifen~much better for me! 
Bilateral Tram-flap 4/08 Revision-left 7/08 
New surgeon revisions: 5/09-8/09-8/10  
Dec 2010  Finally finished! 
cp:RenePetrovich
RP66

• Total Posts : 1701
  • Reward points : 1580
Re:Introduce Yourself - Tuesday, November 03, 2009 9:16 PM
Hi Sandie, Congratulations on your 20 years!!!  That gives many of us great hope!  You might find more action on the Sound Off forum.  There is another long time survivor, Rena that might see your post there.  I hope your health issues are just "normal" ones!!
Rene'~OH
dx 10/06 @ 40 yrs old
stage IIIa/grade3, 7/10nodes+
er/pr+,her2+
a/c/t&herceptin
rbrst mast/hyst 3/07
33rads 6/07 Tried the AI's for 18 months & switched to Tamoxifen~much better for me! 
Bilateral Tram-flap 4/08 Revision-left 7/08 
New surgeon revisions: 5/09-8/09-8/10  
Dec 2010  Finally finished! 
cp:RenePetrovich
Jean Southward

• Total Posts : 1782
  • Reward points : 3810
Re:Introduce Yourself - Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:38 PM
Certainly by being the care giver for your mother you know what Alzheimers does to a person.  My mother also suffers from this awful disease.  Two years ago she fell and broke her hip which required surgery.  She didn't understand the pain, treatment nor the rehab.  It forced us to place her in a home.  She is still with us but her decline has been continual.  I guess my point here is that while I would not want my mother to suffer unduly, I also would not put her thru surgery or treatments that she does not understand.  Even if it meant losing her sooner.  I just remember all too well the panic in here eyes throughout all of this and there was not a thing we could say or do to comfort her.  At this stage of your mothers life, you know what is most important and that is to love her and give her some sense of dignity.  It is awful that the medical field has a tendency to ignore the voice of the family when the voice of the patient cannot be heard.  I am so sorry no one listened to you sooner.  I really hope you and your family can find some sense of peace with this.  I wish you the best!
Jean S

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops...at all.

Emily Dickinson

IDC Stage IIB Grade 3 BC DX on 2-10-09
HER2+++
ER/PR+ 90% 
2 of 6 Node Positive
Double Mastectomy 2-23-09
Completed Chemo TC 7-10
Herceptin until 3-20-10
Arimidex for 5 years Started 8-09 
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 9 of 136, messages 81 to 90 of 1351

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll