Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Preparing for Surgery - what should I do?
Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 4 of 8, messages 31 to 40 of 72
Jean Southward

• Total Posts : 1782
  • Reward points : 3810
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Monday, April 18, 2011 12:14 PM
Yeah, those darn drains.  I tied a soft long scarf around my waist and then pinned the drains to the scarf.  Kind of the same difference but no sewing required.  I also used a knit head band and put it round my neck, pinned the drains to the headband so that I could sit in a tub of water and keep them high and dry. 

You will need a pillow or two for your drive home as well.  I agree that having meals ahead in the freezer is wonderful. I was lucky that someone had arranged a meal to be brought to our house for the first 14 days.

If your insurance covers Home Health Care, don't be afraid to take advantage of it.  They dressed my wounds, cleaned them and taught both my daughter and my husband how to empty, measure and chart the fluid from the drains.  They came a total of 3 times but well worth it!  Have ample gauze pads and alcholol pads to clean drain sites.

Be sure that you have your pain managed before leaving the hospital.  For some it is no big deal.  For others of us, it was a bit tough.

Wish you well!

Jean S

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops...at all.

Emily Dickinson

IDC Stage IIB Grade 3 BC DX on 2-10-09
HER2+++
ER/PR+ 90% 
2 of 6 Node Positive
Double Mastectomy 2-23-09
Completed Chemo TC 7-10
Herceptin until 3-20-10
Arimidex for 5 years Started 8-09 
annz

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Friday, June 10, 2011 10:52 AM
I am going in for a double prophylactic mast with implants on June 21 am quite nervous as I'm sure most of you were . I just hope it all goes well , reading all your posts is helping me as far as things to bring to hospital and what to expect after surgery but boy so many thoughts going thru my head . Happy this site is hear I know I will be on it alot .It help know I am not alone in my struggles.
cdicapua

• Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points : 6290
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Saturday, October 01, 2011 6:28 AM
My surgery is on 10/19. I am having right masectomy with reconstruction. How long is the normal hospital stay if everything goes right. I have DCIS and mucinous carcenoma stage 1 a.
Anna Rae

• Total Posts : 422
  • Reward points : 5940
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Sunday, October 02, 2011 9:33 AM
I was in just over night.... stay as long as you feel you need to!

Send me your address in a PM and I will send you the camisole that Breast Cancer Resource Center in Austin gave me. I've already sent one to England for a friend. It was really helpful! (what size are you?)
I tied a ribbon around my waist and hung the drain bulb from that when I showered.

I took my pain meds before showering with the drain, helped A LOT!

My husband "bathed" me every time. Very intimate, loving experience. Really brought us closer together...

Taking care of the drains was really no truble at all, wierd at first but easier with practice.

We also kept a chart of when, what and how much pain meds and muscle relaxers I took, Andy was home with me the first week and I was on my own after that. The chart helped to keep me on track.

Any other questions, give me a call, I'm pretty sure that my number is listed on my profile.

Best of luck with your surgery!
Love,
Anna Rae
Like Jerry said, What a long, strange trip it's been... 

DCIS Stage 0, Right Side Unilateral Mastectomy -  May 14, 2010
HER2+ BC Stage 3C, Right Side Lymph Nodes - 6 Months Later
End of Tx, June 8, 2012
NED - July 5, 2012

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annaraebamberggilder

Anna Rae
sharonma

• Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Sunday, October 02, 2011 4:32 PM
Cathy,
 What type of recon are you having?.  A Diep, free, or tram flap is alot different than an expander surgery.
I cant speak for the expander, but  diep or free flap is generally 5 days in the hospital, with a prolonged recovery period.
PM if I can help as far as the diep or free flap.  I also make drain pouches for holding the drains (especially when showering)recovery.  If you have a flap procedure, you may have 4 drains for 10 days to a few weeks.

dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  
cdicapua

Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:01 PM
I was told no shower for 10 days that seems impossible, I am having bilateral masectomy with reco
Cathy DiCapua
mammogram 8/19
dx 9/4
DCIS
Mucinous carcenoma stage 1 a, bilateral mas/w recon 10/19 , Letrozole for 5 yrs
chelmsing

• Total Posts : 111
  • Reward points : 5760
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:29 PM
Cathy - What type of reconstruction?  I was in the hospital for 5 days after my DIEP and so was my friend that had her mastectomy/reconstruction last week.  When I was meeting with plastic surgeons and doing research before I made my decision, I was told that doing the expanders may be a shorter stay, more like 3 days.  My plastic surgeon did say that if I really wanted to go home after 3 days, I could, but I just didn't feel ready.  I feel that my recovery went as well as it did because of those two extra days of recovery in the hospital, being taken care of and no stress of having to deal with things at home.  Cathy H
dx 10/28/10, 11/11/10 lumpectomy, 11/24/10 re-excision of margins, 1/17/11 mastectomy
er+/pr+, 2.4 cm tumor & DCIS
2/14/11 4x dose dense AC followed by 4x Taxol
No rads
7/22/11 DIEP reconstruction for right breast
cdicapua

Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:33 AM
How was the surgery? I having surgery on Wed , I am trying to imagine what I will feel like after it is over, knowing you have cancer and knowing you are having surgery is one thing but after you wake up with no breast , how do you feel. I am trying to prepare myself. I can't fall apart after surgery, My 2 grandaughters will be there to see me. I need to stay strong
Cathy DiCapua
mammogram 8/19
dx 9/4
DCIS
Mucinous carcenoma stage 1 a, bilateral mas/w recon 10/19 , Letrozole for 5 yrs
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Saturday, October 15, 2011 4:59 PM
Cathy: I was in the hospital for two days.  I had tissue expanders placed in at the same time of the mastectomy.  The general surgeon started the ball rolling and then the plastic surgeon finished it off.  He kept me in to make sure that the pain was tolerable.  The day after surgery I was out of it.  The pain pump was a wonderful thing.  The next morning, the pain pump was removed and i was given oral meds.  He came in and changed the bandages.  As soon as I was able to keep food down they released me.  I had two drains in and they remained for a week.  When I was able to take a sponge bath after a couple of days, I was amazed when I was finally able to look at the surgical site.  I wasn't completely flat and it wasn't anything like I thought it would be.  Because of the tissue expanders the muscles were very sore and I had a hard time moving without pain.  The pain subsided and I was able to move easier.  Waking up without both breasts was not as hard as I thought it would be.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

chelmsing

• Total Posts : 111
  • Reward points : 5760
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:40 PM
Cathy - I agree with what Tina said - waking up without a breast was not as hard as I thought it would be.  I remember being in the recovery room and lifting up the sheet/blanket and looking down.  There was a bandage over the area, but it was flat.  I kind of said "OK" to myself and put the sheet/blanket down and went back to talking to the nurse.  I was really worried about it before my surgery, but after it really didn't bother me.  I was just glad to be done with surgery, have the cancer out of me and able to start the next step in my treatment, chemo.  The only time it really bothered me having only one breast was when the weather got warm and I couldn't hide it under layers of clothing.   I had a mastectomy bra, but it was uncomfortable, so I didn't like wearing it.  I hadn't found this website yet so I wasn't able to talk to anyone else about how it felt.  I do think everyone is different, but my husband kept reminding me that I'm not breasts.  He said I'm who I am with or without breasts, and that it wasn't going to change if I had one, two or three (yes, he said that - and I told him only in his dreams).  It maybe took me waking up after the surgery without one and not having the rest of me changed to believe him.  My other thoughts about everything else were still the same as before the surgery, so I knew he was right.  Losing a breast didn't change who I was, but the journey made me stronger.  Cathy H
dx 10/28/10, 11/11/10 lumpectomy, 11/24/10 re-excision of margins, 1/17/11 mastectomy
er+/pr+, 2.4 cm tumor & DCIS
2/14/11 4x dose dense AC followed by 4x Taxol
No rads
7/22/11 DIEP reconstruction for right breast
Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 4 of 8, messages 31 to 40 of 72

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages