Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Preparing for Surgery - what should I do?
Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 5 of 8, messages 41 to 50 of 72
Jean Southward

• Total Posts : 1782
  • Reward points : 3810
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Monday, October 17, 2011 10:40 AM
Cathy, I found being so bandaged up after surgery it kind of camoflauged the fact that they were gone.  My bandages were quite thick and went all the way across since I had a double.  That really didn't play into my mind after surgery so you might be surprised that you don't think along those lines.  For me it was managing the pain and fighting nausea so I just didn't have the energy to worry about the breasts being gone.  That reality came later.  I didn't look at the wounds when the dressings were changed.  Once the dressings were ready to come off, I did that by myself behind my locked bathroom door.  It was the only time I cried about how it looked. I allowed myself to grieve alone in that moment and then was able to move beyond it.  I think I needed to have that moment so that I could say good bye to how things use to be and hello to my future.  Maybe it isn't that big of a deal to some but for me I thing it helped to let go.  My family never knew that I did that.  
Jean S

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops...at all.

Emily Dickinson

IDC Stage IIB Grade 3 BC DX on 2-10-09
HER2+++
ER/PR+ 90% 
2 of 6 Node Positive
Double Mastectomy 2-23-09
Completed Chemo TC 7-10
Herceptin until 3-20-10
Arimidex for 5 years Started 8-09 
Jean Southward

• Total Posts : 1782
  • Reward points : 3810
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Monday, October 17, 2011 10:49 AM
Oh, and Cathy, I think it's important to have your home plan done prior to surgery.  Have a place set up for yourself when you get home.  It is easier to get up off a couch than out of a recliner.  Lots of pillows, side table etc.  They will tell you that you can sponge bathe only.  Wrong!!  I pinned my drainage tubes to a head band around my neck to keep them out of the water but I was able to take a bath in a few inches of water.  My husband washed my hair in the sink.  Getting up and down in the tub was a bit trying since I couldn't really use either arm but then I got smart and put a plastic stool in the tub.  I also found wearing clothes that fit snugger around helped with the drain tubes not bouncing around when I moved.  I also pinned them to a scarf tied around my waist rather than pinning to clothes.  Good luck to you!
Jean S

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops...at all.

Emily Dickinson

IDC Stage IIB Grade 3 BC DX on 2-10-09
HER2+++
ER/PR+ 90% 
2 of 6 Node Positive
Double Mastectomy 2-23-09
Completed Chemo TC 7-10
Herceptin until 3-20-10
Arimidex for 5 years Started 8-09 
SusieT

• Total Posts : 252
  • Reward points : 2135
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Monday, October 31, 2011 12:07 AM
Thank you everyone for compiling these lists and giving your time to share your experience. It's helped quiet the nervous expectation so much! Just knowing what to expect is so comforting!
Bx Confirm Invasive Breast Cancer 5.13.11
ER+ PR+ HER2- on 6.10.11
KI-67 22% 6.13.11
Chemo x 4 - Adriamycin/Cytoxin, 
Chemo x 4 - Taxol 
Bilateral Mast with Expanders 11.1.11 - 12/31 nodes with active cancer. Grade 3 tumor. Stage IIIC. Radiation finished 1.25.12  Femara Generic started 11.24.11

I can do all things through God who strengthens me. Phil 4:13
Kate23

• Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 1205
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:12 AM
One other thing to consider - see your dentist and let them know that you have BC and are going through treatment.  I saw my dentist before surgery, and he treated/sealed my teeth to help protect them.  He also prescribed a special toothpaste (Clinpro) to protect them while undergoing any treatments.  Apparently one of the side effects of medications, chemo, etc is a change in the amount and composition of saliva, which can lead to increased tooth decay. 

I really appreciated his knowledge and help to avoid an unexpected side effect!
Kate23
7/12/2011 - Dx IDC and DCIS in right breast, ER+/PR+ 
8/2 - MRI guided biopsy - ALH in left breast
9/21 - Bi-lateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with DIEP flap.  3 nodes - clear (Stage I, IDC less than 1 cm, 3 small areas of DCIS)
Oncotye Dx -16
10/24/2011 - Started AI (5 year treatment plan)
cdicapua

• Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points : 6290
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Wednesday, November 02, 2011 2:12 AM
Just an update . I am cancer free will not have to have any radiation or hormone inhibitor. I can't wait to feel well enough to give back all the kindness that has been given to me. Not having my own breasts seem to be a non issue so you were right about that. I didn't know how I would react. The hospital stay was 2 days. I had skin expanders and I will have implants once my skin is stretched enough. The treatment and recovery seem to be different in different states
Cathy DiCapua
mammogram 8/19
dx 9/4
DCIS
Mucinous carcenoma stage 1 a, bilateral mas/w recon 10/19 , Letrozole for 5 yrs
joebird4ever

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 230
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:36 PM
Hello all,
I am scheduled for a bilateral mast on April 19th, 2013.  The original plan was to due the imediate TRAM reconstruction but the surgeons have decided that tissue expanders will be the best route so that I will be able to start chemo sooner than later.  Feeling quite nervous about it all.  Thank you all for the great info on how to prepare.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:33 PM
Good luck Joebird, its normal to feel nervous but you'll be fine and do let us know how you get on when you can!:) Did you ask Sharon if she could send you some drain pouches?? I know she broke her hand recently so not sure if she's back sewing yet but you could always ask!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:26 PM
Joe:

Good luck with your surgery.  Make sure that you have pull up pants and button down shirts as it will be hard to lift your arms.  They are a BIG help.  Once I was home it was gowns until I had to go for followup visits then button down shirts and pull on pants.

You'll be fine and the hardest part of it all is the waiting.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Starbuck27

• Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 780
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Saturday, July 20, 2013 8:00 PM
I just got home yesterday and pretty much every thing I packed to wear was a joke. I stayed in my gown the whole time. Lip floss and mints were nice, but they gave me slippers and surgical bra. Now im just chillaxin with all these drains. I had immediate implants and my PS told me he thought he could get in about 280 - 300cc without expanders. He got in 585 cc's!!!!! A nice bonus. I had one bad painful night but now it's just an inconvenient breeze.  Hugs to all!!!
~ Practice Random Acts of Kindness
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Preparing for Surgery - what should I do? - Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:33 PM
Glad you are doing well.  Just keep on relaxin
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 5 of 8, messages 41 to 50 of 72

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message