Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Pain mangement for stage iv bc patients
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Pain mangement for stage iv bc patients - Friday, August 14, 2009 6:36 PM
I've copied this link from Komens home page in the hope it helps someone that may look in here-

http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/ManagementofPainRelatedtotheMetastaticBreastCancer.html

Many people may not realize that this is also an important part of their tx, a step on from chemo but very important.
If pain management is not started on time it can be harder to control just like nausea meds with chemo so please ensure if you need this, you get it!

Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
sunbearz

• Total Posts : 1164
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Pain mangement for stage iv bc patients - Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:30 PM
Tricia, Im sold. I should have used pain pills years ago when some Chemos were not tolerable and I had to stop. Maybe one of those would have worked. Guess I just thought I could bull and jam through.I might still be working.
 Thank goodness you are a good researcher. The article opened my eyes.
        Jill
sig Jill
age 54
Dx98,Mast 12 pos nodes
Her- ER-pr-BRCA-
Stage iv bone mets 2003 rads to hip
chemo-A/C Xeloda,Zometa,Taxol. Taxotere
Gemsar,Doxil-Abraxine
Spot liver and lung-gone
2008 met to subclav nodes-Rads
5/08 Taxotere
Faslodex
Taxols again,scalp mets
Liver,lung, lymph mets 2009
Femara
Ixempra
Testosterone ,Zometa-stable
Tricia Keegan

Re:Pain mangement for stage iv bc patients - Monday, August 17, 2009 7:52 AM
Thanks Jill,

My eldest daughter is the same and has never taken so much as an otc pain reliever weven when she broke her arm!
I remember when I had my lumpectomy and node removal, they kept bringing me pills every few hours until I told them I did'nt need them. The nurse explained to me the idea of taking them regularly is to ensure I wont have pain, and if I waited to take a couple when I did, the chances are it would'nt have worked!
I could see the sense in that and although it's obviously a far worse situation in anyone with mets, it really does make sense especially if it helps cope with these toxic drugs and the side effects:)
Hope you're feeling a little better today:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
DJ64

• Total Posts : 482
  • Reward points : 7635
Re:Pain mangement for stage iv bc patients - Saturday, January 07, 2012 5:15 PM
I know this is a very old tread.  I think patches are better than pills.  It is a steady flow of medication.  You don't have to worry about anyone find your prescription with patches as one might with pills.  I think it is more effective.

Just an opinion,

DJ
"Prepared for the worst, hope for the best and, live each day to the hilt"

Stage IV  lungs, lining, ribs, left scapula and left clavicle - Used all the hormonal drugs - tamoxifen, arimidex,  , Faslodex 250 mg,  femara, , drug break using own estrogen (progression in 7 months), rebooted femara (progression on next scan) Faslodex 500 mg ended 18 1/2 years on hormonal therapies - 2013,  Taxol - 2014 now on Doxil. 
Tricia Keegan

Re:Pain mangement for stage iv bc patients - Sunday, January 08, 2012 5:29 AM
Thanks DJ,

I think whatever works for a person is fine but just wanted to remind anyone in this situation they don't have to suffer in silence and should demand the correct medication to help them.
Carepage- survivortricia
jeanmac

• Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 3155
Re:Pain mangement for stage iv bc patients - Friday, June 06, 2014 11:39 AM
wow, no new comments in quite some time! Wondering if anyone is getting or has had radiation for pain caused by bone mets. I have vertebrae mets, and the pain was increasing so I am getting 15 radiation treatments, one week down so far. I am having some nausea, which they gave me medication for, but has anyone had this scenario? Thanks for any input. Jeanmac
Tricia Keegan

Re:Pain mangement for stage iv bc patients - Friday, June 06, 2014 3:14 PM
Jeanmac, there have been some members here in the past who have had great pain relief from rads and I really hope you will too, sending good wishes to you!Pals
Carepage- survivortricia
jeanmac

• Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 3155
Re:Pain mangement for stage iv bc patients - Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:02 AM
tricia--do you know why radiation for bone mets is given only after the onset of pain? Why don't they do it when it is discovered in the bone? Just wondering. It seems to me that bone mets is bound to cause pain eventually, so why not treat it before? I'm on Herceptin, does that not treat bone mets? Any info you can share is appreciated. Thanks! Jeanmac
Tricia Keegan

Re:Pain mangement for stage iv bc patients - Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:26 PM
Hi Jeanmac,

The thinking is that there's only so much radiation you can have in any area, for that reason they wait until there's pain as rads in themselves will not keep the mets fully in check so they often give a hormone therapy if bc positive or Herceptin if her2+ which should help to shrink them. If this is not working for you maybe ask your Onc if you need to add something to the herceptin which often helps, if you're on hormone therapy maybe switching to another like Faslodex can help which is mainly given to ladies with mets. There are other targeted drugs like Perjeta some of the ladies on the her2 site are using but I don't know enough about it as yet but would urge you to check out the her2 forum and maybe ask advice there as they really should be able to advise you than I can I think. If you're due a scan soon maybe your Onc wants to hold off with any new meds until he has the results?  either way I'll be thinking of you and the rads when you have them should help a lot.
Carepage- survivortricia

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message