Great idea - I can see that it has already morphed a bit into a site where we can come to for support and ideas on how to handle the wait. I love you guys.
I posted on radiation, but I'll repost (restate?) it here. I went for a followup mri at my husband's hospital because it took my insurance, and my original radiologist didn't take any insurance. It went well, untill the part when the one person in the entire hospital who reads breast mris was out that day. The next day we found out she was out for the week. I wish they had told me before the test - just out of courtesy, you know? So, when I finally call for the results, I am told it wasn't ready - they were waiting for a mammo, and had never told me. My husband flipped. I got the disc, and went back to my beloved radiologist, who, btw saved my life by finding this teeny tiny 3 mm cancer that had already spread beyond the sentinal node! She did a mammo and us, read the mri and I am fine. I get another mammo of the affected breast, and us of both in 3 months, then mammo and us of both in 6 mos, then mammo of one, us of both in 9 then another mri next year. Unless my onc decided differently, of course.
And how to handle the wait? I tried not to think of it. I had this little lymph node that really really worried me, so I think that as long as I was doing what I needed to do - get the testing done, and get it read as soon as I could, emotional avoidance for a little while worked for me. I'm not advocating avoidance in a way that interferes with treatment or testing - that is bad, you need to get done what you need to get done. Just that for me at that time, I had done the mri, I was told to wait the week, so avoidance worked for me, and enabled me to function with all the rest of the craziness that was going on. oh yes! I forgot to mention! The week of the mri my mom got her hip replaced and my aunt died, so I had plenty to keep me busy with and avoid what I couldn't change anyway.
<message edited by farla on Monday, June 07, 2010 9:13 PM>
dx 8/09, R double lumpectomy, invasive mixed DCIS/LCIS
ER + PR + Her -
1/3 Sentinel pos. 1/15 nodes pos
Stage 2A Grade 2, Nottingham 6
chemo A/C x4, Taxol x 4 started 9/21/09 DONE!!!
femara started 2/5/10
rads 2/8/10 DONE!!!
Now - osteoporosis? Vit D, calcium, and a baby aspirin to boot!