Dandruff after chemo

bjb
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Dandruff after chemo - Monday, August 16, 2010 2:55 PM
I am looking for info concerning dandruff after hair regrowth.  I didn't have dandruff before...but I've got it now.  My last chemo treatment was the end of March 2010.  My hair is growing in thicker, and a bit more gray than before.  I'm hoping this is only temporary!  While this is not the end of the world, it is just another side-effect that I could do without!  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ElaineQW
  • Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:Dandruff after chemo - Monday, August 16, 2010 3:40 PM
HI BJB,

I didn't have this problem, but since we've experienced almost everything you can think of on this board, I'm sure someone will respond soon.

Hug,
Elaine
 A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Dandruff after chemo - Monday, August 16, 2010 4:28 PM
Hi,

In truth, if I had experienced it I don't think i'd have noticed as I was just so glad to have hair again lol....the grey drove me nuts though so I coloured my hair about six weeks after my last tx and felt and looked so much better:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Nuzzys Nana
  • Total Posts : 4498
  • Reward points : 10085
Re:Dandruff after chemo - Monday, August 16, 2010 5:38 PM
Before my hair grew back in I used to wash my bald "scalp" with plain soap. That was a big mistake as it dried out my skin and thus "dandruff". I switched to dandruff shampoo for a time or two and then began using my regular shampoo and the dandruff was gone.

I hope this helps.
Lumpectomy 4/14/05 at age 69
Stage 1, 2cm, Node Negative
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
BRCA2 positive (It's always something!)
No Family History

annette53160
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 8995
Re:Dandruff after chemo - Monday, August 23, 2010 7:29 AM
Try the head and shoulders shampoo.  Even comes as a 2 in1 with conditioner.  Be happy that the hair is once again growing! This part of treatment is now behind you.  xxoo Annette
IDC October 2009
Lumpectomy x2 to get clear margins
Stage 2a Grade 3
1/11 nodes positive 
er+
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol
Radiation
Femara

artlab
  • Total Posts : 508
  • Reward points : 7330
Re:Dandruff after chemo - Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:48 PM
With my chemo brain I wasn't recalling what had been suggested to me.  I came across the bottle, today.  It is Neutrogena's T/Gel.  I didn't need...so passed it on to my husband.  It doesn't smell great...but....

I also just read in a magazine (Women's World, Augst 16, 2010, page 11)  "Soothe a dry, itchy, flaky scalp!"...use vinegar & mint..."Pour 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 cup water and a few sprigs of mint--or 4 bags of mint tea) into a pot...heat until warm...remove from heat and steep for 10 min....Pour into a bottle and chill.  Before you shower, apply the entire rinse to your scalp.  Massage in thoroughly and leave on for 20 min.; shampoo and condition as usual.  Fast Fix:  John Masters Organics Herbal Cider Hair Rinse & Clarifier $17, Beauty.com"

Thought of your question when I saw this today!!!
<message edited by artlab on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:50 PM>
Karen
New Jersey
DX 8/09 at age 51 
Tumor: 2 cm/Grade 3 
Lumpectomy/sentinal lymph node biopsy: 9/10/09
Clean margins/lymph nodes clear
IDC
Triple Negative
Stage 1
Chemo A/C started 10/15/09 4 rounds--DONE!! 
Taxol 12 rounds--DONE!!!
Radiation 3/2410-mid-May--DONE!! 

CocointheKitchen
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 55
Re:Dandruff after chemo - Monday, September 16, 2013 3:32 PM
Hi there! I'm having the same problem and I think I probably wasn't as gentle on my scalp as I should've been.
A bit of pampering and you'll be dandruff-free in no time.

I'm happy my messy mane is coming back, too!

Cheers,
Coco 

-BRCA1 & 2 negative, tumor 1.6cm grade 3, clear nodes, clear margins, ER+ PR+ HER2-, p53 score 0, Ki67 score 26%, Oncotype DX 28, RSPC 28% 
-Lumpectomy - Feb 2013
-Chemo TC x 4 rounds - done!
-Radiation, 6.5 weeks - done!
-Tamoxifen, 5 years - starting Sept 2013