Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Winter chemo ladies!
Change Page: 12345678910.. > | Showing page 1 of 28, messages 1 to 10 of 271
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, November 08, 2010 5:28 PM
I've noticed a few new members posting who have started or just about to start chemo, we used to have a main "winter" or Spring" chemo forum so everyone could chat together about their experiences and swap stories etc.
With that in mind I thought I'd begin this thread so feel free to add to it whether to ask a question, post advice or send good wishes to those at this stage of treatment.

I also want to remind the newer members, if you go to the bottom of the page you'll see a box saying display posts "last 30 days" if you scroll down this and click on "from the beginning" you'll find much more advice from past members exactly where you are now.  Hope this helps and good luck to all you ladies starting this journey, and please know we're all here for you and as scary as it is right now, it IS do able!!!
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Monday, November 08, 2010 5:30 PM>
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Bekka

• Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 400
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 09, 2010 2:28 PM
Ill be the first to post...I was suppose to start Chemo on the 9 but pushed it back so that I could be able to get my port put in this Friday the 12...so I start chemo on the 16...I look forward to meeting all the ladies that will be with me in the Winter Chemo journey :)
Mom813

• Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points : 2075
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 09, 2010 2:41 PM
THANKS TRISH!!! On my winter chemo journey. Just had 2nd A/C treatment so I'm 50% done with the A/C.  Then onto the TAxol for 12 treatments.  The first treatment was harder than this treatment so I went in with a list of symptoms.  The onc adjusted the run time and changed the naseau medicine.  I'm on day 2 of the 2nd treatment and so far so good.  Just have to wait and see how the journey goes.  I hear that the T is easier than the A/C.  not sure.  Got the wigs and they seem to look okay., just one day at a time.  Good luck to the other ladies with the winter chemo journey.
Maureen
Dx 8/2010
Surg 9/30/2010 5cm lumpectomy, 4/4 +Lymph nodes, Chemo start 10/25/2010 AD x4 DONE 12/6/10 
Chemo Tx12 start 12/20/10 DONE 3/7/2011 
Rads start 3/21/2011  
Homonal pending

My journey has just begun. One day at a time
dap1961

• Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 4165
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 09, 2010 3:20 PM
Hello....I was diagsosed in Mid July with ductal carcinoma in situ. (estrogen receptor positive)I had a lumpectomy at end of July and a mastectomy 5 weeks ago...negative in lymph nodes and appears to have gotten clear margins (thank goodness).however, I am going to have 4 chemo treatments possibly starting at the end of this week....I had an ONCO dx score of 25, so this is why my onocologist is ordering chemo....I think this is going to be the hardest part about all of this.. the fear of the unknown. I will have 4 treatments every 3 weeks....I had a porta-cath put in during the mastectomy.  I have a tissue expander and have started the reconstruction process, which is going very well.  After chemo, I will do the last surgery with the new silicon implant and a reduction/lift in the other one.  I will be 50 in March, so I think of it as my "free boob job" for my birthday!  Maybe we can all go through these treatments together..I am so scared! My oncologist says my hair will probably fall out about 3 weeks after the first treatment....this is going to be hard emotionally for me.  
Tricia Keegan

Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 09, 2010 4:51 PM
Hi Ladies,

Thanks for starting us all off Bekka,sorry your chemo is delayed but the port is worthwhile and will be a friend to you:)

Maureen, the taxol was definaly so much easier to tolerate for me than the a/c, I did'nt need any anti nausea meds or neulasta!:)
It does have it's own side effects of course but I found it a lot easier and hope you will too.

Hi Dap and welcome, I think the hair loss was hardest for all of us and it is an emotional experience.  However, it may sound weird, but after the first few days I got used to seeing  myself without hair and so did my family!   It's just the initial time when it's coming out that it is the toughest.
Remember though it's all temporary and it's very exciting when it begins to grow again, this is a tough process but we do this to save our lives so is very worthwhile, and there is a finish line as you can see from so many members here.

You'll be fine ladies, just stay strong and stick together through this, I'd have found it much harder without my komen sisters holding my hand so swap aches/pains etc and know you can do this :)

I'm sure some of the longer term members will pop in from time to time and answer some of your questions if they had the same issue so you're not alone.

((((hugs))))

<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 4:54 PM>
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
Pamiam

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 1145
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 09, 2010 10:16 PM
Reading Mama

• Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points : 1060
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:59 PM
Well, I jump in here too, I started on Oct. 12th, 4 rounds of AC and then 4 rounds of Taxol.  Had my third round of AC yesterday and without repeating myself, the first round was the hardest and the second and so far the third are going better.

The hair loss wasn't as emotional as I expected, I knew I would buzz my hair when it started falling out, so it started falling out 10/29 and my dh buzzed it Sat night so I could wear my wig for the first time on Halloween, which I thought was appropriate! 
The first full days at work with the wig were hard, but on about Day 4, it really felt comfortable and I don't think or notice it hardly at all now. 

Funny story, my oncologist RN was on vacation my first chemo tx, so yesterday was the first time I saw her, and she looks at my chart and says, you haven't lost your hair yet?? Needless so say, that made me feel good about the wig!
8/4/10 found lump, 8/13 mammo&us, 8/31 biopsy
9/7/10 dx@ age 43 -  IDC - 2cm (4.6cm on MRI!), ER/PR--, HER2+, Grade 2, Likely Stage IIIa.  BRCA negative!
Neoadjuvant chemo - AC-dose dense, 10/10, 4tx - DONE!
Taxol - dose dense - 4tx - 12/10 - DONE!
Lumpectomy & ALND - 02/16/11 (No cancer left!)
Rads x34 - start April 2010
Herceptin for 1 year - started 12/7/10
Northern NJ, mom to dd(11) and ds(7)
Tricia Keegan

Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:08 PM
Lol Reading Mama, just what we need to put us at ease with our wigs!!!:)

Glad you posted, I just replied to you on your other thread so check that out!

Good luck with the rest of your treatments too and keep us posted.:)
Carepage- survivortricia
Kimberly Oliver

• Total Posts : 136
  • Reward points : 6195
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Saturday, November 13, 2010 5:16 PM
Just droppin by to say HI to the Winter Chemo Ladies.  I was a Summer Chemo Lady.  Good luck to all with the treatments!
I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Dx June 30, 2009
Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma - left, ER- PR 9%+ HER2+
7/9/09-lumpectomy, 4/15 nodes pos
7/23/09- Reincision for clear margins 
Chemo TCH DONE 12/09  
Rads DONE 2/10
Herceptin DONE 8/10
Start Tamox 9/10
Blog: http://lunatechchick.blogspot.com
Stephanie

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:31 AM
Hello ladies,  I am new to this forum..  I was diagnosed originally in 2007.  I had 4 lumpectomies-atc treatment-double masectomy-and full hysterectomy.  I was then put on arimidex.  4 weeks ago it was found in my lymph nodes.  I had surgery and will have a port placed this Wed. and chemo starts Friday.  This time we will do cytoxin and taxotere no adria this time.  I am very hopeful but dreading the chemo.  However I do have a good out look and God.  So chemo treatment here I come see you on the other side.
Change Page: 12345678910.. > | Showing page 1 of 28, messages 1 to 10 of 271

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message